Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Game Thread: App @ Chapel Hill
Bookmark and Share
FTE_rawr Offline
2nd String

I Root For: App State
Game Thread: App @ Chapel Hill
This is pretty much the game that decides how this season will go for us.

UNC looking much better than we expected at the beginning of the season, but showed their mortality last week against Wake.

We've REALLY gotta hope Roof did something with that defense over the bye, or this is gonna be ugly. (Though Charlotte has proven they are playing up now, so maybe last week was just them playing well after all.)
09-16-2019 03:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
RE: Game Thread: App @ Chapel Hill
(09-16-2019 03:08 PM)FTE_rawr Wrote:  This is pretty much the game that decides how this season will go for us.

UNC looking much better than we expected at the beginning of the season, but showed their mortality last week against Wake.

We've REALLY gotta hope Roof did something with that defense over the bye, or this is gonna be ugly. (Though Charlotte has proven they are playing up now, so maybe last week was just them playing well after all.)

If playing a P5 will determine how your season will go playing in a league of G5 teams you are going to be very disappointed. I have seen teams play well against these P5 teams then fall apart against your peers and also play lousy against a P5 and blow the league apart. Never let these bigger teams determine your season.
09-16-2019 03:19 PM
VNova Offline
Water Engineer

(09-16-2019 03:08 PM)FTE_rawr Wrote:  This is pretty much the game that decides how this season will go for us.

If defense turns it around, and Sutton returns with a vengeance, Chapel Hill will have a tough time.
09-16-2019 03:19 PM
biggie Online
Bench Warmer

Do believe we all hope they cover Sutton like they did Surratt for Wake during the first half (even with Brown saying they were keyed on him not getting the ball).
09-16-2019 03:26 PM
FTE_rawr Offline
2nd String

(09-16-2019 03:19 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  

If playing a P5 will determine how your season will go playing in a league of G5 teams you are going to be very disappointed. I have seen teams play well against these P5 teams then fall apart against your peers and also play lousy against a P5 and blow the league apart. Never let these bigger teams determine your season.

Its more than just playing a P5 for us here though. This is an in-state team that has more Walmart fans than the population of China. Does it mean much in the long run? Probably not. Does it help our claim of being the best team in NC? Probably. I just want to beat them so badly, and I know a lot of App fans feel the same.
09-16-2019 03:28 PM
dbackjon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NAU/Illini
I like App's chances
09-16-2019 03:29 PM

ericsaid Offline
All American

I Root For: App. State/ECU
They have quite a bit of attrition according to Mack. Opening with South Carolina, Miami, Wake, App State, and Clemson is not an easy road to hoe for any team really. It seems to be the sort of scheduling Nick Saban claims he wants but would never, ever, complete.

At any rate, anyone here familiar enough with UNC's defensive players and replacements for injuries to give us an informed opinion on how their absence impacts the game?

Personal feelings are that Drink needs to shorten the game, work on efficiency on offense to keep the defense fresh, and continue finishing drives as they have done a good job of thus far. Run the ball effectively while still hitting the big play. Let the defense relax and fly around the ball instead of sending a blitz with man coverage on the outside 75% of the game, and sort of dictate how UNC needs to run their offense.
09-16-2019 03:47 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Heisman

This game determines our ceiling, actually every game does, if the over arching pinnacle is a NY6 bowl.

This isn't just App, it's every SBC school.

If App loses Saturday our ceiling is the SBC championship game and NOLA bowl. A very good season no doubt, but before the season with two middle of the road P5s on the schedule something more was a possibility.

Now with the defense I saw last weekend, I wouldn't say NOLA is in the cards. Long season though, we could beat UNC-Ch and lose two SBC games.
09-16-2019 03:58 PM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
1st String

Mack Brown has respect for this App State team.

https://twitter.com/BrantHeelsMaven/stat...8739579904

Brant Wilkerson-New

@BrantHeelsMaven
7h7 hours ago
More
Mack says what App State’s seniors have accomplished is the best in the state; this team is good enough to be in the ACC.
09-16-2019 05:13 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
(09-16-2019 03:28 PM)FTE_rawr Wrote:  

Its more than just playing a P5 for us here though. This is an in-state team that has more Walmart fans than the population of China. Does it mean much in the long run? Probably not. Does it help our claim of being the best team in NC? Probably. I just want to beat them so badly, and I know a lot of App fans feel the same.

I hope you do.
09-16-2019 05:52 PM
AppfanInCAAland Offline
Special Teams

(09-16-2019 03:26 PM)biggie Wrote:  Brown saying they were keyed on [Sutton] not getting the ball).

Virgil is open downfield. 04-rock
09-16-2019 06:33 PM

Neers12 Offline
Bench Warmer

I get your point, and this isnt meant as disrespectful to anyone else, rather the reality of the state of North Carolina...but App is the only Sun Belt team who could possibly conceivably be the beat program in the state....most people would already put App State and ECU over Duke and Wake (as a program) but UNC and NC State are viewed a slight step above. Beating UNC is diffrent than just a p5 win....and unlike when some G5s upset P5s....we would actually be viewed as better...not simply a fluke....so it's pretty important in the state battle for supremacy
09-16-2019 07:43 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Please win by 20!
09-16-2019 07:56 PM
CheckYosef94 Offline
2nd String

(09-16-2019 07:56 PM)Chappy Wrote:  Please win by 20!

30* God I hate the CHeats
09-16-2019 07:57 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(09-16-2019 07:57 PM)CheckYosef94 Wrote:  

Fine, 40+ 04-cheers
09-16-2019 08:06 PM
CheckYosef94 Offline
2nd String

(09-16-2019 08:06 PM)Chappy Wrote:  
(09-16-2019 07:57 PM)CheckYosef94 Wrote:  

Fine, 40+ 04-cheers

04-cheers
09-16-2019 08:20 PM

CoachWillRob Offline
Special Teams

I really hope I see something different from the defense than what I saw last Saturday. I'm worried about the game and afraid too many App fans are a little too confident heading into this game. Sam Howell seems to be foreal at QB and that may not be good our young CBs. Hope Roof has made the adjustments.

And heck NO this game does not decide the season for us. A loss does not affect our chances at a 4th straight SB Championship and 5th straight bowl appearance with a win. Gee whiz, some of y'alls hatred for everything Carolina blue has you just talking crazy. Like you'd rather see UNC lose more than you want App to win. Bragging rights is nice, and a P5 win is very important. But is does not make or break this year's App season. At least not for me and players/coaching staff.
09-16-2019 08:43 PM
ManOnABuffalo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
I want a win like no other, I hate that smug basketball school with a passion.
09-16-2019 09:03 PM
Goronic Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-16-2019 08:43 PM)CoachWillRob Wrote:  I really hope I see something different from the defense than what I saw last Saturday. I'm worried about the game and afraid too many App fans are a little too confident heading into this game. Sam Howell seems to be foreal at QB and that may not be good our young CBs. Hope Roof has made the adjustments.

And heck NO this game does not decide the season for us. A loss does not affect our chances at a 4th straight SB Championship and 5th straight bowl appearance with a win. Gee whiz, some of y'alls hatred for everything Carolina blue has you just talking crazy. Like you'd rather see UNC lose more than you want App to win. Bragging rights is nice, and a P5 win is very important. But is does not make or break this year's App season. At least not for me and players/coaching staff.
A win against UNC would be nice (and many expect it anyway), and a win against South Carolina would be super fantastic. But honestly, that is just icing type of games. The regular season may be tougher with this coaching change than expected. App may not even repeat as champions. Many of the Sun Belt teams are looking better than I thought - so there will be some tough games for App to handle or the championship game won't be played in Boone (and I was kind of hoping with the young team we had we would be hosting it for a while) 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2019 12:49 PM by Goronic.)
09-17-2019 12:47 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
(09-16-2019 03:58 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  

This game determines our ceiling, actually every game does, if the over arching pinnacle is a NY6 bowl.

This isn't just App, it's every SBC school.

If App loses Saturday our ceiling is the SBC championship game and NOLA bowl. A very good season no doubt, but before the season with two middle of the road P5s on the schedule something more was a possibility.

Now with the defense I saw last weekend, I wouldn't say NOLA is in the cards. Long season though, we could beat UNC-Ch and lose two SBC games.
I think App has to go undefeated, and ucf and boise both need to drop more than 1 game for app to overtake them in the rankings. I think a 1 loss UCF still gets ranked higher than an undefeated app.

It could happen, but that's a tall task.
09-17-2019 02:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.