Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What's next for Texas?
Bookmark and Share
random asian guy Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Virginia Tech
What's next for Texas?
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but it seems like this is the only remaining piece. In other words, no movement until UT moves.

We still have a lot of time left (Texas will have to make a decision before 2025) but I am trying to figure out possibilities for the fun. I guess there are five scenarios

If Texas chooses:

1. PAC-12: this conference can take up to four teams. Most likely UT, OU, OSU, and TTU or TCU. Big Ten, ACC, and SEC will not move. Big 12 will try to add four to eight teams. Given UT had said no to Pac-12 before, the possibility is low in my opinion.

2. SEC: SEC will take UT and OU for sure. Big Ten, ACC, and Pac-12 will not move. Big 12 will try to add two to eigh teams.

3. Big Ten: most likely BIG will take UT and OU. Then, Pac-12, ACC, and SEC will not move. But there is a slim chance that BIG will take Kansas instead of OU. Then OU will try to find a new home. If SEC, then OU and another Texas team (TCU or Baylor?). If Pac 12, then OU and TTU. Big 12 will need to add at least four or more teams.

4. ACC: ACC is probably willing to accept UT as a partial member. Hopefully no one else coming along. OU is going to be available. If SEC, then OU and TCU or Baylor. If Pac 12, then OU and TTU. If BIg Ten, then OU and Kansas. Big Ten may not necessarily love OU without Texas but I don't think it wants to see OU joining the SEC either. Big 12 will need to add three to seven teams.

5. Big XII: this is a dark horse scenario. Texas may just want to stay as a full or partial member in Big 12, knowing OU would leave anyway. If this is the case, OU and another team will join another conference similarly to the above scenario. ACC will not move. Big 12 will try to get more teams and extend the grant of rights.

What do you think? Personally, I think ACC has a good chance.
05-19-2019 02:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
RE: What's next for Texas?
(05-19-2019 02:04 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  Sorry to beat a dead horse, but it seems like this is the only remaining piece. In other words, no movement until UT moves.

We still have a lot of time left (Texas will have to make a decision before 2025) but I am trying to figure out possibilities for the fun. I guess there are five scenarios

If Texas chooses:

1. PAC-12: this conference can take up to four teams. Most likely UT, OU, OSU, and TTU or TCU. Big Ten, ACC, and SEC will not move. Big 12 will try to add four to eight teams. Given UT had said no to Pac-12 before, the possibility is low in my opinion.

2. SEC: SEC will take UT and OU for sure. Big Ten, ACC, and Pac-12 will not move. Big 12 will try to add two to eigh teams.

3. Big Ten: most likely BIG will take UT and OU. Then, Pac-12, ACC, and SEC will not move. But there is a slim chance that BIG will take Kansas instead of OU. Then OU will try to find a new home. If SEC, then OU and another Texas team (TCU or Baylor?). If Pac 12, then OU and TTU. Big 12 will need to add at least four or more teams.

4. ACC: ACC is probably willing to accept UT as a partial member. Hopefully no one else coming along. OU is going to be available. If SEC, then OU and TCU or Baylor. If Pac 12, then OU and TTU. If BIg Ten, then OU and Kansas. Big Ten may not necessarily love OU without Texas but I don't think it wants to see OU joining the SEC either. Big 12 will need to add three to seven teams.

5. Big XII: this is a dark horse scenario. Texas may just want to stay as a full or partial member in Big 12, knowing OU would leave anyway. If this is the case, OU and another team will join another conference similarly to the above scenario. ACC will not move. Big 12 will try to get more teams and extend the grant of rights.

You think Texas staying in the B12 is a dark horse scenario? I hate to burst your bubble but if they were going anywhere they would have already gone. All this speculation is just wishful thinking. They think they’re too good academically for the SEC. PAC finances are terrible and they’re too far away. The B1G and the ACC are way too far away. Going independent is plausible but just barely. With conferences going to 9 or even 10 game conference schedules, scheduling will just get more difficult. Who’s going to play them in November?
05-19-2019 03:51 PM
random asian guy Offline
Water Engineer

(05-19-2019 03:51 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  
(05-19-2019 02:04 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  Sorry to beat a dead horse, but it seems like this is the only remaining piece. In other words, no movement until UT moves.

If Texas chooses:

You think Texas staying in the B12 is a dark horse scenario? I hate to burst your bubble but if they were going anywhere they would have already gone. All this speculation is just wishful thinking. They think they’re too good academically for the SEC. PAC finances are terrible and they’re too far away. The B1G and the ACC are way too far away. Going independent is plausible but just barely. With conferences going to 9 or even 10 game conference schedules, scheduling will just get more difficult. Who’s going to play them in November?

Well you might be right, but I think UT would have left already if the grant of rights is not in place. If UT likes to stay, how come it's not agreeing to extend the grant of rights? And OU certainly wants to leave.

We will see some movement before 2025.
05-19-2019 04:39 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Game
There really is no advantage to Texas going partial. They would gain 3 football games (1-1/2 home games). That's not enough for ESPN to pony up more money for the LHN. At this point I would think if the contract was reopened, ESPN might be looking to reduce the remuneration. If Texas wanted a partial, they could probably get it from the B12.

Texas has looked at the P12. They have said repeatedly they don't like the time zone.

If the B1G or SEC get UT/OU, look for the other to make a hard run at the ACC. The SEC would likely want FSU and Clemson. The B1G would go for UVA and UNC.
05-20-2019 10:44 AM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
(05-20-2019 10:44 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  There really is no advantage to Texas going partial. They would gain 3 football games (1-1/2 home games). That's not enough for ESPN to pony up more money for the LHN. At this point I would think if the contract was reopened, ESPN might be looking to reduce the remuneration. If Texas wanted a partial, they could probably get it from the B12.

Texas has looked at the P12. They have said repeatedly they don't like the time zone.

If the B1G or SEC get UT/OU, look for the other to make a hard run at the ACC. The SEC would likely want FSU and Clemson. The B1G would go for UVA and UNC.

Texas and Oklahoma to the B1G is a complete fantasy. Why would they want to be in a conference based in the rust belt? Games at Wisconsin and Minnesota? They don't want that. If you're Florida, do you want FSU in the SEC? If you're South Carolina, do you want Clemson in the SEC?

I keep telling you nothing is likely to happen. Changing conferences upsets a fanbase. ADs and school presidents don't do that without strong motivation. The B12 is the only unstable conference. All of the B12 schools either fit in the category of nobody wants them or there's nowhere they really want to go to. The P5 lineups are likely to stay intact.

I can say that there's one school that might want to make a conference change--Maryland to come back to the ACC if the money equalizes which might or might not happen over time but the ACC isn't taking the Terps back. The B1G is stuck with them.
05-20-2019 11:04 AM
XLance Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Carolina
(05-20-2019 10:44 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  There really is no advantage to Texas going partial. They would gain 3 football games (1-1/2 home games). That's not enough for ESPN to pony up more money for the LHN. At this point I would think if the contract was reopened, ESPN might be looking to reduce the remuneration. If Texas wanted a partial, they could probably get it from the B12.

If the B1G or SEC get UT/OU, look for the other to make a hard run at the ACC. The SEC would likely want FSU and Clemson. The B1G would go for UVA Georgia Tech and UNC.
05-20-2019 11:18 AM

XLance Offline
Heisman

(05-20-2019 11:04 AM)Hallcity Wrote:  

Texas and Oklahoma to the B1G is a complete fantasy. Why would they want to be in a conference based in the rust belt? Games at Wisconsin and Minnesota? They don't want that. If you're Florida, do you want FSU in the SEC? If you're South Carolina, do you want Clemson in the SEC?

I keep telling you nothing is likely to happen. Changing conferences upsets a fanbase. ADs and school presidents don't do that without strong motivation. The B12 is the only unstable conference. All of the B12 schools either fit in the category of nobody wants them or there's nowhere they really want to go to. The P5 lineups are likely to stay intact.

I can say that there's one school that might want to make a conference change--Maryland to come back to the ACC if the money equalizes which might or might not happen over time but the ACC isn't taking the Terps back. The B1G is stuck with them.

I would trade Pitt for Maryland in a heartbeat if we had a complete leadership change at Maryland.
05-20-2019 11:21 AM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville

If Texas chooses:

What you lay out sounds reasonable, if something were to pop.

I think that Texas moves only if it finds it has to ... meaning, the Big XII is hurt by the defections of Oklahoma, and Kansas ... in that scenario, where Texas winds up may is dependent on whether or not they want to be included with those two, or if they don't.

If they don't, then I think the ACC can offer them something no other conference can -- the Notre Dame option for football independence. That gives the ACC a solid shot at adding Texas, in my opinion.

It's hard to say if there'll be a significant move in the next few years. I could easily seeing things standing pat.

But you are right -- Texas is the prize.
05-20-2019 01:13 PM
colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
I think Texas stays where it is regardless of what Oklahoma chooses to do, at least until the LHN expires. If OU stays, nothing changes. If OU leaves, the Big XII adds Houston as a replacement, and Texas remains the kingpin in an even more Texas-centric conference.

If Texas aligns with the SEC or ACC, it's just another school with little influence over its new conference mates.
05-20-2019 02:19 PM
random asian guy Offline
Water Engineer

(05-20-2019 11:04 AM)Hallcity Wrote:  

I don't know. Remember back in 2010/2011 two ACC member schools opposed the exit fee increase? One is with Big Ten now and the other would have left if the SEC had invited that school. If Texas and OU like where they are, how come they didn't agree to extende the grant of rights? Actions speak louder than words.

I agree Texas may prefer the status quo. But OU wants out and Texas KNOWS IT. So there is no status quo option for Texas in its decision making process (a bit of game theory here). It's either staying in the watered down Big 12 without OU or exiting with OU. (The third option is to drop the LHN and save Big 12 but very unlikely) If I were SEC, I would invite OU and annonce that the SEC is looking for the 16th memember like the last time they did with A&M. This will give some pressure on Texas.
05-20-2019 03:09 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville

If Texas chooses:

One thing I think you definitely nailed in each of your scenarios is the ACC won't do much in response to other conference movement. I think it has to be the right school, and fit, in order for the ACC to do something. Texas is a no brainer.

There may be a couple of other schools that could tip the balance too ... but it feels like the conference is happy trying to make the current configuration work the way it is. If there was ever any legislation that allowed to do away with the divisional alignment, freeing up football scheduling, then I think it further locks in the current set up as is. That's the consistent b!tch point for many schools. And one reason why UNC and Wake scheduled an out-of-conference series.

Anyway ... I meant to say that in my first response ... damn phone kept ringing at the office. lol
05-20-2019 04:18 PM

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: The Heels
Our current division line-ups are leaving money on the table, which I’ve brought up many times, as have many others. There are so many great games that should be scheduled more often. The division rule is absolutely arbitrary and it is commandeered by conferences that are mainly happy with their divisions. The original Big XII line-up wasn’t even going to have a “playoff game” (as they called it circa 1994) in order to maintain the OU-Nebraska rivalry. Well, the Bowl Alliance changed their mind on that and that sort of helped Nebraska find their way out.

Anyhow, I think Tejas is a great school and blah blah, but from their perspective, I don’t see why they would leave their current situation. I honestly don’t even see them leaving if Oklahoma abandons ship. There is no way on God’s grey earth that Oklahoma and their fans would be satisfied with replacing the Horns with the Aggies. Nope. Not gonna happen. So you better believe even if Oklahoma takes off, the Red River Rivalry remains intact.

I think some Big Ten fans are a little peeved their schools are not playing in Chicagoland more often as well. Adding more teams makes those appearances even more scarce. Ever seen Michigan play at Northwestern? It looks like a Michigan spring game.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2019 07:57 PM by esayem.)
05-20-2019 07:54 PM
XLance Offline
Heisman

(05-20-2019 07:54 PM)esayem Wrote:  Our current division line-ups are leaving money on the table, which I’ve brought up many times, as have many others. There are so many great games that should be scheduled more often. The division rule is absolutely arbitrary and it is commandeered by conferences that are mainly happy with their divisions. The original Big XII line-up wasn’t even going to have a “playoff game” (as they called it circa 1994) in order to maintain the OU-Nebraska rivalry. Well, the Bowl Alliance changed their mind on that and that sort of helped Nebraska find their way out.

Anyhow, I think Tejas is a great school and blah blah, but from their perspective, I don’t see why they would leave their current situation. I honestly don’t even see them leaving if Oklahoma abandons ship. There is no way on God’s grey earth that Oklahoma and their fans would be satisfied with replacing the Horns with the Aggies. Nope. Not gonna happen. So you better believe even if Oklahoma takes off, the Red River Rivalry remains intact.

I think some Big Ten fans are a little peeved their schools are not playing in Chicagoland more often as well. Adding more teams makes those appearances even more scarce. Ever seen Michigan play at Northwestern? It looks like a Michigan spring game.

Isn't that green earth?
Which why if the Sooners move out of the Big 12 it will be to the SEC (only 8 conference games) which will allow them to continue to schedule Texas.
It is also the reason that Texas will take the "Notre Dame deal" with the ACC. Texas scheduling formula has always been Texas centric. It's how they have always been the money leader. They will not change their formula, nor will they give up the LHN monies. Texas can play 5 ACC games plus Oklahoma and one major game per year (Ohio State, Michigan etc.). That still leaves 5 spots to divide among Rice, SMU, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, North Texas, UTEP, UTSA etc. This will allow Texas to play a minimum of 8 games a year within the state of Texas. Texas will not change their marketing approach that has been successful over such a long period of time.
05-21-2019 05:05 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

So the ACC gets a to prop up a marginal basketball team in the middle of Texas? No thanks. Five games against their football team isn’t worth it to me. They may think they’re on Notre Dame’s level, but they’re not. Let the Big XII give them a “Notre Dame deal”.

You must not be a Frank Zappa fan.
05-21-2019 05:54 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(05-21-2019 05:54 AM)esayem Wrote:  So the ACC gets a to prop up a marginal basketball team in the middle of Texas? No thanks. Five games against their football team isn’t worth it to me. They may think they’re on Notre Dame’s level, but they’re not. Let the Big XII give them a “Notre Dame deal”.

Adding Pitt, Syracuse, Notre Dame and Texas has been the plan all along (nearly 8 years at least).

[Image: 15-and-16.jpg]

The only unplanned move was replacing Maryland with Louisville (an upgrade in most respects, TBH).
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2019 06:34 AM by Hokie Mark.)
05-21-2019 06:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XLance Offline
Heisman

(05-21-2019 06:33 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(05-21-2019 05:54 AM)esayem Wrote:  So the ACC gets a to prop up a marginal basketball team in the middle of Texas? No thanks. Five games against their football team isn’t worth it to me. They may think they’re on Notre Dame’s level, but they’re not. Let the Big XII give them a “Notre Dame deal”.

Adding Pitt, Syracuse, Notre Dame and Texas has been the plan all along (nearly 8 years at least).

[Image: 15-and-16.jpg]

The only unplanned move was replacing Maryland with Louisville (an upgrade in most respects, TBH).

This ^^^^^^^^
05-21-2019 07:16 AM

XLance Offline
Heisman

03-lol

Zappa couldn't hold a candle to Captain Beefheart.
05-21-2019 07:24 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

Really? The Big XII had Miami, Clemson, and FSU in their "plans". Also Notre Dame and Arkansas. It may be the "plan", but we know this doesn't mean the target has the same designs.

Everything I've seen in writing is speculative at best, which makes me believe the only thing ACC related to Texas is Austin Community College.

The ONLY benefit I see is tying their football team into joining. That begs the question, is the deal worth it to Texas? I say no. Even with a 9 game schedule in the Big Ten, Oklahoma NEEDS Texas; recruiting Texas is their lifeblood. So even without the Sooners in the Big XII, the idea of creating a pseudo-independent schedule just doesn't seem to offer much benefit to the Horns over their built-in Big XII schedule, that mark my words, will still include Oklahoma no matter where they end up.

The topic of the thread is "What's Next For Texas". I say they remain in the Big XII.
05-21-2019 07:35 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
(05-21-2019 07:35 AM)esayem Wrote:  The topic of the thread is "What's Next For Texas". I say they remain in the Big XII.

+1

Texas isn't going anywhere. There are no bigger egos in this country than that bunch. They aren't going to a conference where they aren't viewed as the flagship or extremely important. That's what would happen if they went to any of the other P5 conferences.

Further, the SEC doesn't want or need them (or Oklahoma). The SEC is already in Texas with A&M. They don't need more power. Most importantly, they don't need to split money yet another way or two. Many SEC fans are already angry that some of the beloved traditional games from the past in FB have been threatened and/or diminished.

The ACC is doing just fine without Texas as well. The Big 10+4 might want to move into the Texas market and that makes some sense, but back to that ego thing...Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and the others aren't going to suck up to Texas like Texas desires.

Finally and perhaps most important of all, the Big 12-2 is doing just fine right where they are. They actually have the best set up of all the P5's as far as scheduling goes. Round-robin FB & MBB schedule. They now have a conference championship FB game back. They have access to the playoffs as evidenced by Oklahoma's recent appearances. They are splitting their money 10 ways instead of 14 (or heaven forbid 16 if conferences want to idiotically get that large). And, Texas' ego is stroked everyday in that conference. Absolutely zero reason for them to go anywhere. And TBH, I don't think anybody is groveling on the ground begging them to join their parties either.
05-21-2019 07:53 AM
GTFletch Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia Tech
I think Texas stays in BIG12...Longhoen becomes BIG12 Network by 2026... I actually think that Arizona schools (ASU & Zona) may join BIG12 since Pac12 money will not be that good.. Or a combo like ASU & Houston or ASU and CINCY ...
05-21-2019 09:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.