Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How important are Road OOC Games?
Bookmark and Share
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Exclamation How important are Road OOC Games?
I received an unsolicited guest article which I posted on my blog: "How Florida Hoodwinked College Football" which goes into some depth analyzing not only the Florida Gators aversion to playing non-conference away games out of state, but also several other teams which follow their lead - although, as the author notes, NO ONE does it like Florida. The Gators haven't played a road OOC game outside the state of Florida since they got their tails handed to them in the Carrier Dome by our own Syracuse Orange.

Some will say that Florida simply can't afford the economic hit of playing a 2nd home-and-home series in addition to the one with FSU (although Clemson, Georgia and South Carolina have similar-sized stadiums and do it all the time). They may say that this is because of playing 8 SEC games + FSU every year (although the Gators have scheduled this way for 71 years - MUCH longer than the SEC has been playing 8 games!)

Q: How big of a deal do you guys think this is? In theory, home field advantage is worth about a touchdown (+3.5 points for the home team, -3.5 for the visitor). It makes me wonder how many OOC games UF has won at home or at a neutral site that they would have lost on the road...?
12-20-2018 10:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: How important are Road OOC Games?
BTW, here's some key data from the article:

1) Florida football has not played a non-conference game at an out of state opponent’s home field since 9/21/91 (yes 1991) FLA 21 @ Syracuse 38 [27 years]

2) Florida football has not won a non-conference game at an out of state opponent’s home field since 9/23/89 (yes 1989) FLA 38 @ Memphis 13 [29 years]

3) Florida football has not won a non-conference game at an out of state opponent’s home field when the opponent ended the season with a winning record since 10/18/47 (yes 1947) FLA 7 @ NC State 6 [71 years]

Other P5 teams which haven't won a true OOC road game over a team with a .500 or better record in at least 10 years or more:

POWER 5 “HOODWINK” RANKINGS
Florida: 71 years (last OOC road win over a team with a winning record: 10/18/47 FLA 7 @ NC St 6)
Iowa St: 47 years
Kansas: 37 years
Arizona St: 24 years
Kansas St: 22 years
Washington: 21 years
Illinois: 19 years
Colorado: 16 years
Arkansas: 15 years
Tennessee: 15 years
Ga Tech*: 13 years (9/3/05 GA Tech 23 @ Auburn 14)
WAZZU: 13 years
Wisconsin: 10 years

* not saying GT hasn't played road OOC games - they were just at USF last year - but they have WON one in 13 years... FSU is coming up on 10 years themselves, BTW.
12-20-2018 10:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tj_2009 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: How important are Road OOC Games?
(12-20-2018 10:32 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  I received an unsolicited guest article which I posted on my blog: "How Florida Hoodwinked College Football" which goes into some depth analyzing not only the Florida Gators aversion to playing non-conference away games out of state, but also several other teams which follow their lead - although, as the author notes, NO ONE does it like Florida. The Gators haven't played a road OOC game outside the state of Florida since they got their tails handed to them in the Carrier Dome by our own Syracuse Orange.

Some will say that Florida simply can't afford the economic hit of playing a 2nd home-and-home series in addition to the one with FSU (although Clemson, Georgia and South Carolina have similar-sized stadiums and do it all the time). They may say that this is because of playing 8 SEC games + FSU every year (although the Gators have scheduled this way for 71 years - MUCH longer than the SEC has been playing 8 games!)

Q: How big of a deal do you guys think this is? In theory, home field advantage is worth about a touchdown (+3.5 points for the home team, -3.5 for the visitor). It makes me wonder how many OOC games UF has won at home or at a neutral site that they would have lost on the road...?

It definately helps for sure. Florida may need the money more than other programs because they owe payouts to coaches they have fired or run a higher cost program than some of the others.
12-26-2018 12:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.