Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
New coach goes 0-3
8-31-13: At Michigan State
9-14-13: At Northwestern
9-21-13: At Iowa

Here's how next season starts for the new guy. At least KB gets her pot of gold from the schedule.
11-18-2012 11:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Broncos83 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
RE: New coach goes 0-3
My sentiments exactly! If I'm the new coach, in putting together my list of program improvements, I say ease up on the scheduling if I'm going to be evaulated purely on wins and losses. Give me one, maybe two, payday games, a patsy and a comparable mid-major. That approach makes sense from a bowl consideration standpoint as well.
11-18-2012 11:54 AM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
We had better win the MAC West and go bowling. Plus, those three programs are beatable, I heard it here all year. We deserve better. This new guy better knock off one or two of those three first teams.
11-18-2012 12:10 PM
BrianPersky Offline
Banned

I think it's fair to expect 1 win out of those 3 non-conference BCS games. 2 wins would be gravy. 3, he (whoever they bring in) is an instant hero.
11-18-2012 12:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Broncos83 Offline
1st String

Come on! To "expect" to win one of those games is ridiculous not even considering you'll have a new coach and something like the 5th new DC in 6 years or whatever. I "expect" to lose all 3 and I "expect" we will lose by 20+ points or more in each. Get real, established programs with 10X the budget and resources. It's a long shot at best even under normal circumstances. That's why our BCS wins are called "upsets".
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2012 12:28 PM by Broncos83.)
11-18-2012 12:27 PM
WA_Bronco Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Broncos
awesome display of a loser's mentality. You make the most of the hand you are dealt. I hope the new coach takes this us as an "us against the world challenge" and gets the team to buy in to get better every play. The rest will take care of itself
11-18-2012 12:27 PM
Advertisement

Broncos83 Offline
1st String

Loser's mentality? Many you mistakenly keep viewing these payday games through the lens of "competition". Bottom line, it's about gettin' paid to support the athletic budget. If we win one, great! But that's not what it's about.
11-18-2012 12:32 PM
WA_Bronco Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Broncos
losers mentality is to whine about what is already known. These games pay the bills of the non-revenue sports and are here to stay. A good coach who sees the potential in WMU will sell these games to his staff, players, and boosters as an opportunity to build the brand. Like him or not, it sure didn't seem like GBD was afraid of the BCS games he was dealt by the Athletic Department.
11-18-2012 12:36 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

We shouldn't be expected to win against a program with ten times the resources ever, 83 is right, you're just throwing out cliches to counter and they add up to nothing.

What was GBD's record against BCS teams since you brought it up?
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2012 12:44 PM by DesertBronco.)
11-18-2012 12:39 PM
dunkface Offline
Special Teams

I don't think it's fair to have any expectations for these three games yet given how much is unknown. We don't know who is going to stay/who is going to transfer, who the new coach is going to be, what kind of system they're going to run and how that changes the roles of current personnel, what kind of players he's going to recruit and bring in, etc.

I'm not going to set a bar for my personal expectations until there are more known variables going into these games. On paper, with the talent we could have, all three are beatable. As of now I'm with Persky in thinking one win is a fair expectation, but that's subject to change when other variables become known.
11-18-2012 12:45 PM
Broncos83 Offline
1st String

Not sure what to make from "the talent we have" comment? We don't even know who'll be on the team next year. "The talent we had" this year was clearly not good enough. When you're "outtalented" by EMU (their average at best O-line mauled us), you clearly have a ways to go. Say what you what about their talent but I'd take Gillette any day. That kid is a FB player! Measurables probably aren't great but he sure was a difference maker.
11-18-2012 12:56 PM
Advertisement

induction Offline
Bench Warmer

Don't we get Nichols State after MSU? If we're indeed 0-3, it's going to be a long season...
11-18-2012 12:58 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
Wow, tough start for the season. That could be enough to scare some possible coaches away because they know they'll be in the dog house with the fans form the beginning.
11-18-2012 01:17 PM
bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
Nicholls State is the 7th.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-13/mid-a...hedule.php

So 0-3 *would* be a problem.
11-18-2012 02:08 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
I honestly don't think losing to BCS (ie usually better) teams is a bad thing -- especially in a transitional situation.

It's how you play the game. In the end, the record ends up reflecting that.

If we hang on to barely beat a mediocre D1AA team after turning the ball over a million times and playing slow -- I'm not happy.

If we don't turn the ball over, have barely any penalties, capitalize on all mistakes and execute to the best of our ability against an MSU team who ends up being ranked #16 by the end of the year, but we lose -- I'm happier than the above.

I don't think the new coach has to win 2 of the BCS-Conf teams, or necessarily even 1. I think the focus is on -- are we turning the ball over? Are we getting too many penalties? Is our team executing in sync? Is our play calling good? Are our troops fired up and wanting a win?

I'm sure though, that one of those games will have a team that's going to be under .500 next year, and we'll have an opportunity -- IF our new coach sets us up right.
11-18-2012 03:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
texasbronco1 Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Why just "Expect" wins right away? Let's go ahead and "Demand" them. If the wins don't come right away we should fire the coach, AD, president and really everybody else associated with the university. If we don't win the MACC, then we should change the name of the University. Let's start making our list of demands before the coach even gets hired. It's funner that way.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2012 03:35 PM by texasbronco1.)
11-18-2012 03:34 PM
Advertisement

DesertBronco Offline
Banned

That's how it was all season Tex, and how it's going to be from now on. The new WMU.
11-18-2012 03:43 PM
Liam9903 Offline
Field Marshal

I Root For: WesternMichigan
I don't think starting 0-3 is a problem for everyone. There seems to be a fair amount of supporters who are willing to make excuses and cover for a coach regardless of his record just so long as they like him.
11-18-2012 03:45 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

Not any longer, those days are over, our expectations are set and we're all aligned. Win.

I expect 2-1, wouldn't be surprised if we're not 3-0. Anything less is a big ziggy.
11-18-2012 03:47 PM
Liam9903 Offline
Field Marshal

I Root For: WesternMichigan
I just try and support my school in all endevours. No agenda. I hope we win 12 games and I'll be disappointed when we lose one but I'll be back in the following week.
11-18-2012 03:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2020 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.