Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Enjoyed the game
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Enjoyed the game
In the handful of games I have seen I thought Hawk did his best work. I thought his "emptying the bench" was pre-mature. Let NIU score on consecutive possessions and getting to the line. Putting the starters sans Flen got the momentum back.

Mikey has really improved. I havent seen him since I took in a 2 1/2 hour scrimmage this fall. I noted his shooting had improved. That has been borne out as the season progressed. I noted last spring that with his off hand he would thumb the ball on the follow through and have both hands open and facing the basket. He now (for the most part) keeps his off hand off the ball, perpendicular to the basket. His rotation is true and his shot now has a softer touch. Now that I have written such he will go 0-50 here on out, but all kidding aside he has become a bonafide threat from the outside. You don't want him taking 10 J's a game but I no longer said, "no, no, no" as he rose up. Follow through was maintained and shot was dropping. And when it didnt it was bouncing around the rim some making it possible to drop sans swish.

Mikey also was driving the lane at will. I am not sure if Hawk called for him to do so but he was toying with and then blowing by anyone that tried stopping him. He finished as strong as his wirey upper body allowed him and on two occassions laid it off where others could catch and shot layups in one motion.

Hutch too has really matured. Getting after it on D and literally crashing the boards. He had two fouls attacking the offensive glass. I belive two calls were made on him for doing so. One was ok the other was pure hustle and athletcism and I think he surprised the gray haired official who was really slow on the up tick.

It was good that Caleb Dean got some time. He needed that boost but he really is lacking in lower body strength to effectively defend the post. That also makes him a liability on the perimeter as he is not the most agile. The kid took advantage of his opportunity and I was happy for him but he really is no more than a 4-6 minute guy at the most.

Stainbrook, as anyone who has seen him has great hands and can "see the game" without looking. Intuitive. However, his lack of any athleticism is a killer. Everyone of his fouls were a result of being a day late and dollar short. His saving grace, offensively are his hands. He catches most and and get a toss off in close quarters. But his lack of strength here really limits him. With absolutely no "lift" he has to count on timing to be able to get the ball where it needs to be as he shoots. On numerous occassions he left shots well short because he couldnt turn his body into the hook or push shot. Fatigue and earlier on, being bumped and pushed down low disrupted his timing resulting in several point blank misses.

Demetrius played strong. One recommendation is to finish his drives and dont always look to make body contact. On three occassions you could tell his attention was divided in finishing his drive. Instead of concentrating on getting the ball in the hole he was looking to find someone to draw contact with. All three shots were either missed or blocked. Shortest distance beween two points . . . Just get it in the hole and let the zebs determine contact.

Both Flen and Matt really need to develop their weak hand. Their "come back" move is predictable. Counting on an up and under if that the come back is stymied all depends if the defender leaves their feet. If not, as I saw several times, each Flen and Stainbrook got called for traveling as they "lost where they were" when the 2ndry move didnt present itself. Developing the weak hand allows for them to keep the defender on the back side not having to rely on the up and under if the come back is denied.

Alex was solid. A couple muffs on pesky Huskies trying to dig the ball out while AW was dribbling. However, he recovered for the most part and became equally aggressive negating being put back on his heels with NIU pressure. He chose his shots and released with confidence.

Howard played hard and showed me that he can effectively pass the ball. As some have said that both he and Stain just need to stop complaining and just play. Demetrius was seen on seveal occassions providing a listening ear and a pat on the rump but basically thinking, "Come on, grow up. We need you to stop 'plaining and just play."

Poke and Loney. Both made good hustle plays. I havent checked stats but Poke should have one rebound and got his hands on the loose ball keeping two possessions alive for us. Loney opened up Deans And 1 by mimicking a bowling ball and knocking down several Huskies in a rebounding block out scrum. With bodies on the ground or at least teetering out of balance, Caleb was able to get his mitts on a O board, put it back and was fouled by a falling 8 pin.

Regarding ISU, you dont want to just sit guys. I agree that Cant State should be the focus. I would play the 8, 9 and 10th guys some, mixed in with regulars allowing all to break a sweat and let play with some of the starters. I would sit key guys some but I don't want to reroute or disconnect the momentum being built. That mo could carry the day vs Can't.

I would sit Flen, perod.

I would prep for ISU as if it were Kent.

No and I will be in town hanging with different sets of friends through out the weekend and taking in the tilt Saturday. Looking forward to it.
02-16-2011 12:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
RE: Enjoyed the game
Thanks, gbl.
02-16-2011 09:25 AM
acer1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: Enjoyed the game
GBL, thanks for the recap of the game, from a knowledgeable viewpoint.

I've said from my very first practice this fall, that this team will be fun to watch this year, regardless of the record. We are in the hunt and who would have thunk that?

Always proud to be a Bronco.
02-16-2011 09:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.