Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Everyone does it..."
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
"Everyone does it..."
Really? I'm hearing the argument that all schools do it all the time and that scUM just got caught. I find that hard to believe, as many disgruntled players as there are out there, they would throw a coach under the bus at the drop of a hat if they were leaving a program or didn't get the treatment that they perceived to deserve.

Thoughts?
09-03-2009 09:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

MmphsBronco Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU Broncos
RE: "Everyone does it..."
ESPN headline: Rodriguez linked with banned booster

Now this is a Clemson banned booster where he was O Cordinator from 1999 - 2000, but the company you keep...

Dick Rod is just plain scum and a liar and a cheat and soon to be unemployed.
09-03-2009 09:31 AM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I know a D1A head coach, he also was a DC for a BCS program for years, he's married to a good friend of mines sister. I just chatted with his brother in law who is very close to the program and coach. He said he doesn't mess with that rule, and it's BS that "everyone does it" is being tossed around that way.
09-03-2009 09:50 AM
wmu2012 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Western Michiga
This is a sign of NO LEADERSHIP. If there was the leaders would push players into the weight room to improve watch video with teammates.
09-03-2009 09:56 AM

spillit Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: WMU
I think that most people mean that everyone goes over 20 hours a week... It is just that some stuff doesn't count for the hours. I mean they count Saturdays as 3 hours... which is laughable... But that is part of being a college football player..
09-03-2009 09:56 AM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

20 hours SUPERVISED is the key nuance, isn't it?
09-03-2009 09:58 AM
bronco5 Offline
Banned

I Root For: GATechSwagger
See my signature.
09-03-2009 10:29 AM

spillit Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-03-2009 09:58 AM)DesertBronco Wrote:  20 hours SUPERVISED is the key nuance, isn't it?

Yes that is the key... The rule is far to vague...
09-03-2009 10:40 AM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
I will you a story as to the hours I put in "back in the day" and for stuff like this is why the rule was put in.

My Off season schedule Jan-Mar... School in AM,Lunch,Nap,,,, 3:00 weight room 4:30 running done @ 5:30, dinner 6:00, Study hall @ stadium 7:00-9:00, then run plays in shorts in gym until 10:30. Hows that for a full day building character?

Opening game that year we got beat and looked bad. That Monday (Labor Day) we were in film and ***** out session from 3:00-6:00, dinner, and in pads under the lights from 7:00-12:30am. Practice ended because of a fight between the HC and an assistant @ 12:30 in the morning. We just kinda walk off the field after the fight. If there wasn't a fight, I think I would still be in pads.

But this is the type of out of control BS, SOME coaches are highly capable.

BTW, a few years later a new coach came in took over a veteran club and in spring ball he would only have the guys out in shells and shorts 1/2 the time. Players were worried about the new coach that he might be too"soft". They ended up winning the conference in a couple of years.

Dick Rod went OVER the line. Not by a couple of hours, ]but a couple of days.
09-03-2009 11:24 AM
Whinny1 Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU and Iowa
Great read, NIU05. Really interesting for those of us who have no clue what goes on for players on the other days of the week.
09-03-2009 01:26 PM

MileHighBronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Broncos
(09-03-2009 09:58 AM)DesertBronco Wrote:  20 hours SUPERVISED is the key nuance, isn't it?

That's one key nuance - the other is "voluntary." How voluntary is it when you know that if you don't "volunteer" for a certain team activity or workout it will be reported to the HC and you will mysteriously start dropping down the depth chart. Coercion? Yup. Retaliation? You bet. Yet some still wonder why the numerous defections. With a coaching change, there will always be defections. This one seemed to spawn a whole slew of them and not all of them immediately. Some waited until they saw the new landscape.

Lots of the players in any program spend a significant chunk of their own time preparing. The difference is that they actually do make that decision voluntarily. Doesn't sound like that was the case at a certain school with a certain coach.
09-03-2009 01:27 PM
Crebman Online
Heisman

I Root For:
Of all the allegations that I heard thrown around, the 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM Sunday routine after
the Saturday game appeared to be the worst. That is the one day where the players bodies need some rest - and during the school year, it's also a day to get some studying done.

IMO, the Rodriguez regime went well over what is acceptable & that is why so many defections have occurred. Normally, there are a certain amount of defections right after the new hire, but then, those that stay - don't leave. UM has seen quite a few leave very late.

UM fans will attempt to just resolve the defections as "too lazy" or "dropped in the depth chart & wasn't going to play" - but there appears to be something rotten in Ann Arbor that has been brewing for some time now.
09-03-2009 03:27 PM
GEORGEWINS Offline
Special Teams

"Everybody does it" sounds like another lame U-M excuse to me too. The Purdue coach says everything everyone on the team does is filmed and logged. The teams supposedly have compliance offers these days that look at these things. I think Cubit talked about the 20 hour rule in one of the interviews like it was set in stone. Everyone DOESN'T do it, from what it seems, just the outlaws.
09-03-2009 03:36 PM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Where there's smoke there is usually fire. There have been too many allegations about RicRod. He doesn't pass the smell test.
09-03-2009 08:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.