Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting student observation.......
Windycitybronco Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WMU!
Interesting student observation.......
A friends brother goes to Western (Freshman) and says he wants very badly to support his school's team. He was a diehard State fan prior to attending but when he got to Western he made it a goal to put the Brown and Gold first on his list of allegiances......after all they are the ones providing the education. This was obviously pushed by his older (Michigan alum) brother who put it plainly saying that he and many of the UM students used to actually despise and redicule (not out loud of course) many of the highway fans who supported their team.

At any rate the kid gets pumped because he now has a brand new source of pride, well at least when the season started. He attended the Indiana game which was his first WMU game and was surprised by the stadium's interior....it blew away his expectations....."a great football atmosphere" was his exact qoute. He then went on to say he could not understand how the student turnout was not stronger. nonetheless he was happy.....until they lost in the fashion they did. Then there was the Connecticut state school of nurses game that he said did not even feel like real football. He said it had the feeling of a scrimmage (at least what was happening on the field) .......When he tried to feel good about the win his "other" buddies from "bigger" schools ragged him (all except his brother of course who went to UM, he had lost his bragging priviledges for the season after their opener) They said it was not a real win. He said screw you guys, You will soon see how good our offense is as displayed against Cent. Conn. State. Well, needless to say , after the Akron debacle, the Ball State fiasco, and then Eastern he is having a little trouble keeping his newfound fandom! I reminded him of th MSU /Iowa debacle but it almost made it worse.....his comment was " at least they lost to Iowa and in Double OT......Western didn't even score on Eastern Michigan!!!!"

He said his fellow Valley II Dorm buddies who were going to the games and trying to find some pride in there schools program have all but written it off and what can you expect.......the question he begs is......if we lost to better competition it would be one thing but when we get into a defensive dogfight with EMU....it doesn't even make for good football to watch.

His point, how does a team get respect when they consistantly lose to NCAA D1A bottom feeders (Akron, Ball State, Eastern) in ugly fashion. He also said that he feels the Program loses it's student support when they dont even compete in the big money games at years start. He feels that it is embarrassing to take the football seriously. Ouch.

He said 15 of his dorm buddies marched to the Indiana game together......now he is lucky to get 3 together for a home game. He said after the EMU game he may pack it in as well!

Let's turn this little tradition around........only winning,and winning consistantly can cure this problem!!!!!!
10-28-2007 05:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Broncoman Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WMU, UofM
RE: Interesting student observation.......
Student turnout for the Indiana game? The student section was beyond full.
10-28-2007 06:09 PM
Broncoman Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WMU, UofM
Oh and to say Akron and Ball State are D1 bottom feaders is a joke, Akron was just in the MAC title game two years ago, Ball State is becoming one of the better teams in the conference. There QB Davies is the next big thing to come out of the mac.
10-28-2007 06:12 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
We have ignorant students when it comes to knowing MAC sports. Nothing new there......:domokun:
10-28-2007 06:52 PM
Chipdip1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
Quote:Then there was the Connecticut state school of nurses game that he said did not even feel like real football
Yeah, kind of like playing North Dakota State or Appalachian State. It doesn't even feel like football.

Final Score
App State-

And Akron----------talk about awful, they lost 20-2 to Ohio State. They didn't hang tough with them like Penn State did (37-17) and Minnasota did (58-7)

And Ball State...........boy do they suck. They missed a field goal in the closing seconds to lose to Nebraska 41-40. They should have thrashed Nebraska like Texas did (28-25).

I could go on and on, but this is your typical Western and MAC student for that matter.

There is only one solution. Have them go to Steve and Barry's and load up on a couple hundred bucks in MSU and UM stuff. And then once or twice a season have them head to A2, get some scalpers tickets, and sit on 15 inches of real estate 400 yards from the field. Tell them to wear their thick skin, so when the alums ask them when they attended, they can get that "highway alum" brush off. But of course, that's not important. What's important is they can return to their dorm, head held high, and act like they were part of something that in reality they weren't a part of at all.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2007 07:08 PM by Chipdip1.)
10-28-2007 07:08 PM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I'd advise your friend to transfer to MSU, because if he is looking for validation from his BCS buddies that's never going to happen. Didn't happen the years Western had a winning football program either.

In their eyes, any accomplishment we have is going to be colored insignificant because it's US accomplishing it. If we manage to beat a BCS school, it's because they are having an down year or an off day. If we play MSU or UM tight, it's only because they're starting the 2nd team most of the day.

WMU students need to have pride in our school for what it is, not for how it impresses their friends at UM and MSU. If they can't manage that, then I STRONGLY suggest they transfer to a "more prestigious" university. Because they validate themselves on what others think about them and that can't be cured.
10-28-2007 07:15 PM

JerrySeymoursParoleOfficer Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
WMU students do not, nor will they ever, have pride for their school.

You have about 2,000 hard-core student supporters that will be at every game. Everyone else who shows up just needed something to do.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2007 08:03 PM by JerrySeymoursParoleOfficer.)
10-28-2007 08:01 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I have a niece high maintenance who goes to WMU that fits that ignorant mold, she thinks the Michigan is the team to follow, cares less about WMU.

I think I'll buy her a scUM school book store gift cert for Christmas, or at say I did and it got lost in the mail.
10-28-2007 08:28 PM
BCBronco Offline
All American

Yeah, OK, BP, CD, BCB, we're all old, wise and chit like that. But....... we go to Bronco games, we understand the MAC, bla, bla, bla. WMU does not need to market to us. We go to the flippen games, we visit these moronic web sites, we love our Broncos and like unrequited love, will continue to do so. OK, we're smart, we're hooked, I get it.

But......that is not relevant, we do need more generations of fans, we do need our students, we do need to win and create pride for kids towards our football team. We do. Like it or not, wrong or right, the student perspective presented here is real and important to attend to.

I suspect all of us know that, but it's easier to poke fun of that view, but the reality is, it is what it is. We all like winners, and each time we have a crappy season, we risk losing a generation of fans. Hell, we have held season tix for 14 years, and even I am tired of no MAC championships, spotty play and "waiting for next year".

This is a fine university with good facilities , in a great city, maybe the most attractive situation, all in all in the MAC. Time to get our chit together.
10-28-2007 08:33 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

Okay BC, I guess we're not just doing enough. I tried, by gosh, but from here my influence just isn't getting it done! Just what exactly are we supposed to do more? I'm doing my part as an alum, that's about all that can be asked.
Quote:But......that is not relevant,

That's not? That's how a fan base is started, you sound like the old booster club who wanted WMU to be theirs and theirs alone, treated anyone who came along as an outsider. How is what we're saying NOT relevant?

The students don't feel that MAC athletics are on par. That's a fact. Time to get our chit together? Gee, I'm doing fine, sorry that you feel you're not.
10-28-2007 08:40 PM
SeaWaBronc Offline
2nd String

I could be crazy, but I think it all starts with the University having a clear understanding of what they what Athletics to represent and then go out and make it happen. Everybody wants to try and compare WMU to Big 10 teams, which is flat out stupid. If WMU focused on creating and maintaining a specific product , I think the fans would find their way to the event.
10-28-2007 09:10 PM

BCBronco Offline
All American

Quote:Time to get our chit together? Gee, I'm doing fine, sorry that you feel you're not.

My writing was not clear, I do not mean us, I mean our football program. Hell, it is likely that CMU will have more MAC championships in two years than we have had in 25. That is what I mean by getting our chit together.
10-28-2007 09:23 PM
Chipdip1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
Quote:But......that is not relevant, we do need more generations of fans, we do need our students, we do need to win and create pride for kids towards our football team. We do. Like it or not, wrong or right, the student perspective presented here is real and important to attend to.

I watch it first hand BC. I have a son who chose Western and who could have transfered to MSU last year but still, chose Western. He had pressure from his brother and his step brother to go to MSU (both MSU grads and undergrads), but he chose Western. The kid never misses a Western basketball or football games. When his friend and roommates want to bolt at half time he stays. Sometimes he calls the old man up on his cell phone and tells me his buddies want to leave, and he comes over and sits with pops.

Even he is baffled how anyone could leave the Ball State game, but they left in droves.

While it's true I've brought him to games since he was a kid, he was no different than any other kid. He was an MSU and UM fan as a kid, and had lots of jerseys, etc.

I point this out not to toot the boys horn, but to say that there are LOTS of kids who have it figured out. Walk through the student section in the 4th quarter and the lower bowl of it is filled with kids who are still cheering, and still into the game. Those kids get it. The kids in the Zoo section who are there week after week, they get it.

What we are dealing with here are FOLLOWERS. Frankly, followers tend to be followers in areas other than sports. Best they break the habit now, and stop worrying about what the guy in the next office cubicle is thinking about them. "My pedigree is Brown and Gold, and I'm damn proud of it!" That will get them a hell of a lot more respect than busting on their alma mater and putting UM magnets on their office locker.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2007 10:05 PM by Chipdip1.)
10-28-2007 09:39 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

Quote:I have a son who chose Western and who could have transfered to MSU last year but still, chose Western.

Blame that on DB, one trip to Lake Powell looking at bikini's at the dock and he was convinced that where you went wasn't as important as who you were.....02-13-banana

Plus we took BOTH of them on about being loyal to where you went to school if you remember, sometimes us old guys don't realize the impact. If it's a bad thing, I spoke out of turn and truly am sorry, but I'm glad that he's a Bronco, cause he's a good kid/man and he's cool.

Sorry BC, thought you were taking (yet another) shot at me.:muttering:
10-28-2007 09:55 PM
Chipdip1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
Quote:Plus we took BOTH of them on about being loyal to where you went to school if you remember
Seriously, I don't remember any of the conversation.........was too caught up in the natural beauty of the place.
10-28-2007 10:03 PM
BCBronco Offline
All American

Quote:Sorry BC, thought you were taking (yet another) shot at me.

Only shots I am taking these days are shots of JD, or rum before a rum and coke.

Time for the Broncos to win. For the life of me, I cannot understand our continual middling MAC performance.
10-28-2007 10:24 PM

BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Quote:For the life of me, I cannot understand our continual middling MAC performance.

Nor can I. I thought all the pieces were there when we hired Cubit as head coach-especially as validated after last seasons strong run and bowl game. I figured this season would be more progress in the right direction.

But my appreciation for Western is-thank goodness-established on more grounds than just athletic success. I follow our sports programs, but I'm also a big advocate of Western based on academics, our GREAT BMB, Sky Broncos, Engineering program, Solar Car project, beautiful campus, the entire package frankly.

The 4 years of Bailey's MEDIOCRE Administration were of far more detrimental impact to Western than a poor football season. Thank goodness that is over! Dunn, despite my initial impressions, appears to have a vision for Western that at first brush seems refreshing. If he can land us a Medical School that would be an AWESOME feather in Western's cap IMHO.

But I agree that superior performance on the field, court and ice would sure promote our schools image in an IMMEDIATE way to potential HS applicants as well as the myriad of Western students who currently don't give a rip. Ever the optimist, I believe that day will come. Sooner rather than later. 04-rock
10-29-2007 12:17 AM
goldsworth Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I too am frustrated by WMU's almost a champ performance over the last few years under Darnell and lately Cubit......but when all is said and done I still like the MAC as a league and like its long history of fooball in the MidWest. At homecoming I had occassion to talk to a husband wife team, he was a WMU grad and she a scum grad. She indicated that she enjoyed tailgating much more at WMU and coming to WMU games because you can actually get into town comfortably on game day and get a nice spot to tailgate and actually have some room to sit and enjoy the game.She indicated that the um football experience is so comercialized and difficult to manuver around that it took the fun out of it for her. That is exactly what the MAC and all its venue's have going for it...D-1 football at a reasonable price in a very comfortable atmosphere. I really do like what the MAC is and I have no problem supporting it and WMU. I do wish though that WMU football could rise up in the MAC and be a consistent contender year in and out.The football experience on WMUs campus has a lot of charm and it can be a lot of fun especially when we are winning!
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2007 10:21 AM by goldsworth.)
10-29-2007 10:16 AM
BarnardHall211 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: the Chippewas
goldsworth Wrote:you can actually get into town comfortably on game day and get a nice spot to tailgate and actually have some room to sit and enjoy the game.

+1

but wouldn't you rather hear "You are part of the largest crowd watching college football anywhere in America today" ? 03-snooty
10-29-2007 11:04 AM
thegeneral Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU, OU
^ 03-puke
10-29-2007 11:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.