Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Huskie Hoopla Post-Event Thoughts
Bookmark and Share
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Huskie Hoopla Post-Event Thoughts
[Image: 2007huskiehooplasmalldn5.jpg]

Join the Red Riot for the Huskie Hoopla event being held tonight @ 7:30 pm featuring the 2007 NIU Men's and Women's Basketball teams. This event is free, even for non-students.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2007 09:36 PM by epasnoopy.)
10-26-2007 09:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
RE: REMINDER: Huskie Hoopla Tonight @ 7:30 pm
Any updates on how things went? Who won the slam dunk contest? Paradise? Any and all observations welcome(even MD02 if he went).
10-26-2007 07:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU

Donators
RE: Huskie Hoopla Post-Event Thoughts
I was pretty bored, the dunk contest was sweet. They need to do more exciting things than run warm up drills.
10-26-2007 09:37 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

Michael Hart will be starting at center. Without a doubt he is the strongest and biggest player we have available to play. He's very athletic. They had him posting up in drills and he was pushing people around. He also won the slam dunk contest.

I like Sean Kowal (the transfer from Colorado), he's a good short to mid-range shooter. Good rebounder.

Jarvis Nichols came in second place in the slam dunk contest. I see him starting at shooting guard. He's a good shooter as well.

Cody Yelder is the best point guard we have, but i'm still sure Paradise will start because he's the senior and has the experience. But Cody will see significant playing time. He's quick, aggressive at taking the ball to the hoop, good shooter, and he's got mad hops.

Those are the four players that stood out most to me.

I think Shaun Logan will start at power forward with Egan Grafel backing him up.

I'm still waiting for Ben Rand to go back to his 2005 form where he looked like he was gonna be a good player for us. I think that knee injury really screwed him up. Even though he's a senior i'm not sure he's gonna start.

IMO, Najul Ervin didn't play well. He doesn't seem like a good ball handler. I don't know if he didn't take the scrimmage seriously or what.

Sean Smith (the JUCO from Indiana) didn't stand out much. I don't think i saw him do much of anything.

Bristan Kelly lost weight, he looks a lot thinner now. I don't know if Coach wanted him to do that or what. I liked that he had the beef on him last year so he could push people around more.

I like Lee Fisher and Jake Anderson. I see Jake backing up Jarvis Nichols at SG.

My starting five prediction:

Center - Michael Hart
P. Forward - Shaun Logan
S. Forward - ? No one really stood out who would play this spot, maybe Lee Fisher
S. Guard - Jarvis Nichols
P. Guard - Ryan Paradise

As for the Women's team, all those newcomers look really good. Even though this team has a lot of new incoming players, they all look like they're gonna be good players now and in future years. I like M. Adams (Boilingbrook), that girl is aggressive and a strong rebounder.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2007 10:23 PM by epasnoopy.)
10-26-2007 09:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
epasnoopy Wrote:Bristan Kelly lost weight, he looks a lot thinner now. I don't know if Coach wanted him to do that or what. I liked that he had the beef on him last year so he could push people around more.
Could it be because this is going to be a different type of offense and he was having a difficult time getting up and down the floor at his old weight?
10-26-2007 10:01 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

RobertN Wrote:
epasnoopy Wrote:Bristan Kelly lost weight, he looks a lot thinner now. I don't know if Coach wanted him to do that or what. I liked that he had the beef on him last year so he could push people around more.
Could it be because this is going to be a different type of offense and he was having a difficult time getting up and down the floor at his old weight?

Probably, he was pretty slow when he was bigger. The offense was definitely a lot more fast paced.
10-26-2007 10:07 PM
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
fast paced?

WOW - a nice change of pace.

I'm gradually getting excited tonite .........about basketall season.
10-26-2007 10:16 PM
huskie87fan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU
I would not be to concerned with who is starting this year. Patton will play alot of combinations at the beginning since everyone has the same talent level. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays 12 to 14 players at the beginning. They must play uptempo and pressure the ball on defense because they have no one that will do much down low. The bigs will have to rebound, provide second chance opportunities and play tough defense. Hart looked good tonight against the competition. Time will tell if he can go from D3 to D1. Egan Grafel played well. I thought he shot the ball better tonight than he did last year. He is a big body that is mobile. Should be a better fit with the scheme this year. Shaun Logan will be productive doing the little things on the court. For the Huskies to have a chance this year these three seniors must have good years. Rand did not show much tonight. Hopefully he can come back from his injuries and be a productive player. Kelly did look slimmed down and hopefully Smith can help out down low as well. They did not show much tonight but a ten minute scrimmage is tough when you are getting playing time for 18 players. Gaters, Fisher and Ervin will get some time early to see what they can do. On the outside Cody Yelder played point and Ryan Paradise played off guard on one of the teams. I wouldn't be surprised if that combo starts things off early in the year. Yelder with out question is the most talented guard and Paradise is by far the best shooter. I like Anderson, Nichols, Oruche and Landers. Hopefully one or two will be able to help out this year at off guard. The key for playing time for those four will be who can play good pressure defense on the outside. Even though Paradise can move over to point to back up Yelder, Patton looks steady enough to provide minutes at point. Rand can also provide minutes at the off guard. I think the first game Hart, Grafel, Logan, Yelder and Paradise will start but as some of the young guys step up a different line up will probably emerge. They must make defense their identity because I do not see enough firepower from the offense. They have to get some points off turnovers and in transition. I think Patton could go to a three guard lineup depending on how things go this year and who steps up. With the amount of players on the team with similiar skills every player should at least play hard because each has a couple of replacements on the bench.
10-27-2007 06:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.