Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Remember when...
Bookmark and Share
TheNEWguy Offline
Banned

I Root For: NIU
Remember when...
Joe Pa. was too old?

The next year they lost one game. Robinson took over at QB full time and a young team started to play well.

I'm just saying Joe Pa's body of work proved he could win. Joe No's body of work has proven he can win (look at this current decade).

A qb change next year in a bad MAC could put NIU right back on top.

If you recall they were saying Joe Pa's team had no talent too...that was until they started to win again, then of course the experts weren't wrong, and neither were the fans who wanted Joe Pa gone...

I'm not saying Novak is paterno, but I am saying that bad years happen even to the very best. And bad years really start to happen when they have a YOUNG team.

PS: That isn't to say NOVAK has to come back. But I am saying there is no reason to force him out if he wants to come back for a few years.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2007 05:06 PM by TheNEWguy.)
10-06-2007 05:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Rock Bottom Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Remember when...
I know Joe Paterno, and Joe Novak is no Joe Paterno.

NOT
EVEN
CLOSE
10-06-2007 05:09 PM
TheNEWguy Offline
Banned

Rock Bottom Wrote:I know Joe Paterno, and Joe Novak is no Joe Paterno.

NOT
EVEN
CLOSE

But the situations are comparable.

Cause i know the Big 10, and the Mac is no Big 10

NOT
EVEN
CLOSE
10-06-2007 05:11 PM

clcfball11 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU!!!
Joe Paterno would not have allowed what has happened this season if he were the huskies head coach. not a chance. And before you all jump all over me and say "OH YEA BECAUSE PATERNO COULD PREVENT INJURIES!!!111111", no, that is not what i am referring to... i am referring to blowing leads and simply being outcoached every damn week
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2007 05:16 PM by clcfball11.)
10-06-2007 05:15 PM
Rock Bottom Offline
All American

I Root For:
TheNEWguy Wrote:

NOT
EVEN
CLOSE

NOT
EVEN
CLOSE

Yeah - the MAC is SOO sucky that a good coach should be able to dominate it a lot more easily. Plus Penn State didn't start playing in the Big10 until 1993.
10-06-2007 05:16 PM

TheNEWguy Offline
Banned

Rock Bottom Wrote:
TheNEWguy Wrote:

NOT
EVEN
CLOSE

NOT
EVEN
CLOSE

Yeah - the MAC is SOO sucky that a good coach should be able to dominate it a lot more easily. Plus Penn State didn't start playing in the Big10 until 1993.

So....? We are talking about the early 90's now? Let's try to keep it in the 00's. Let's not reach WAYYYYy back to the 90's.
10-06-2007 05:18 PM
TheNEWguy Offline
Banned

clcfball11 Wrote:Joe Paterno would not have allowed what has happened this season if he were the huskies head coach. not a chance. And before you all jump all over me and say "OH YEA BECAUSE PATERNO COULD PREVENT INJURIES!!!111111", no, that is not what i am referring to... i am referring to blowing leads and simply being outcoached every damn week

Refer to penn state 03 and penn state 04.

Joe pa clearly could not prevent it from happening to his team. Once again, it happens to the best. Young players lose games. You can argue that some freshman do well, but those are freshman surrounded by not so young guys.
10-06-2007 05:20 PM

clcfball11 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU!!!
NewGuy, i admit that i am not familiar with penn state's 03 and 04 seasons completely...but did penn state CONSTANTLY lose close games, make dumb mental mistakes, blow HUGE leads, etc? Or was it simply a DOWN year where they lost to teams they werent as good as? If every team NIU faced simply killed us every week and we never stood a chance, i think it might even be less painful!
10-06-2007 05:25 PM
Rock Bottom Offline
All American

I Root For:
TheNEWguy Wrote:
Rock Bottom Wrote:
TheNEWguy Wrote:

NOT
EVEN
CLOSE

NOT
EVEN
CLOSE

So....? We are talking about the early 90's now? Let's try to keep it in the 00's. Let's not reach WAYYYYy back to the 90's.

That makes no sense - YOU are the one comparing Novak to Paterno. Well, Paterno's been coaching PSU since '66, taking a few year stretch of bad performance and even thinking about comparing Paterno's well over .700 winning record to Joe's under .500 is a joke.
10-06-2007 05:34 PM

TheNEWguy Offline
Banned

clcfball11 Wrote:NewGuy, i admit that i am not familiar with penn state's 03 and 04 seasons completely...but did penn state CONSTANTLY lose close games, make dumb mental mistakes, blow HUGE leads, etc? Or was it simply a DOWN year where they lost to teams they werent as good as? If every team NIU faced simply killed us every week and we never stood a chance, i think it might even be less painful!

Instead of giving you a full run down of their 2 years, 03 they blew leads in the 2nd half of 5 or so games. Lost to quite a few teams they probably should have beat. 04 same thing, lost heartbreakers like we did. With their young team. The titanic 6 - 4 loss to Iowa that year pretty much put a cap on what they were. A team that could play close an lose. Kind of like us. After that game was also the biggest cry to fire Joe Pa. Even though Iowa was a good team finished 10 - 2.

The point is Joe Pa's guys played up and down to the challenge. Gave up leads. TURNED the ball over like nuts (he rotated his QBs because of that). Eventually the next Robinson was the guy because the other guy graduated (taylor or something like that). And they won because the young guys grew up.

Even GREAT coaches have problems with young players.
10-06-2007 05:34 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
TheNEWguy Wrote:Even GREAT coaches have problems with young players.

And that's what we have this year. A great coach with a lot of young players. 28 of the 42 players on our two deep for the Temple game are freshmen/sophomores.
10-06-2007 05:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.