Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

It's over: It's official: It's time to move on.
Bookmark and Share
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
It's over: It's official: It's time to move on.
DJ has enrolled at Cincy.

Good luck to him. He made an informed decision re: what's in his best interest.

Too bad for NIU.

The entire process started on the wrong foot.

All truths may never be fully known.

Can we all just move on - or at least give the topic a rest?
09-28-2007 08:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Zao123 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU
RE: It's over: It's official: It's time to move on.
AMEN AND THANK YOU !!!!!!
09-28-2007 08:48 AM
ruperto17 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Yep, it's official. He withdrew from NIU last Monday.
09-28-2007 09:01 AM
mj010 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
I agree. It's a bummer he didn't stick around, but we've seen plenty of worse things throughout the years of cheering for the Huskies.

I've taken a look at a few of the other threads about why DJ left for Cincy (facilities, poor communication, coaching, etc) It all stinks and could have been handled better, but have you guys actually been paying attention to Cincinnati play and the conference they're in? They are a dynamic team that's fun to watch, with a swarming defense and an offense that can generate some big numbers. Oh, and the Big East is turning into quite a formidable BCS conference. I have no affiliation with any of the schools (aside from my girlfriend being a Syracuse alum), but have you noticed they've got 2 teams in the AP top 10 (West Virginia and Rutgers) and 2 others (South Florida and yes, Cincy) in the top 25? That's not even including an overrated Louisville team that started the year at #8 in the polls.

Those four teams in the top 25 are more than the Big 10 (3) and ACC (3). Check out the West Virginia vs South Florida game tonight on ESPN 2, I think it'll go a bit of a ways to show that if nothing else, Jones will be playing in a conference that's a lot stronger than our MAC.

Lets move on already! GO HUSKIES!!! Down with the Chippewas!

(btw, who will be in PA for the Temple game next week? The Linc is a sweet stadium, and there are a handful of enjoyable bars in south Philly)
09-28-2007 09:09 AM
EddieMoney Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU,Blues,Bucs
Yea this does suck, I was really excited about that. Well moving on, GO HUSKIES and beat CMU, this season has a long way to go!!!
09-28-2007 09:12 AM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

It is finally official. I knew long before this that he would probably not be coming. Always sidestepped the NIU question. Good luck to him. Would have loved to see him as a huskie. maybe he did not like that Joe would not kiss is butt when he talked to him the first time.

I just wish we could get all the facts. Too much speculation.
09-28-2007 09:21 AM
Advertisement

niuhuskie84 Offline
All American

I Root For:
i never really counted on him playing here. just all the circumstances surrounding this whole thing raised a ton of red flags.
09-28-2007 09:26 AM
Fade2black Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ALLNIU
" ain't it hard when you discover that...
...he wasn't really where its at....."

...yadda, yadda...like rolling stone...

....FINI....!!!
09-28-2007 09:36 AM
Huskie359 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU & SOX
Jones won't be a Huskie after all
Former ND quarterback transfers to Cincinnati

September 28, 2007
By RICK ARMSTRONG STAFF WRITER
DEKALB - Demetrius Jones has landed.

The former Notre Dame quarterback's courtship with Northern Illinois University is over. He has enrolled at the University of Cincinnati and will be eligible to play next fall.

Northern coach Joe Novak said he wasn't surprised when he learned the Cincinnati Enquirer was reporting Thursday that Jones had walked into the office of Bearcat coach Brian Kelly and told him he wanted to enroll at the school and play there.

"It's an interesting story," Novak said of the whole saga involving the former Chicago Morgan Park High School standout that has unfolded over the last two weeks.

"I was on the outside looking in."

Novak said he talked with Jones on the phone a second time Tuesday night.

"It was just for a few minutes and at the time he was still open-minded (about eventually coming to Northern)," the coach said.

They had briefly talked on the phone last Saturday, shortly after the Huskies' win at Idaho.

Kelby Siler, associate sports information director at UC, confirmed that Jones was on campus Wednesday, had talked with Kelly and had enrolled in school. He said Jones would start classes Monday and would likely join Bearcat practices on Tuesday.

The report said Jones will have to pay his own way for the fall quarter because the program currently has no scholarships available. He will be eligible to play in the fall of 2008.

The fall quarter at Cincinnati began Sept. 19th and Jones needed to be enrolled by the 12th day of classes for the quarter to count against the year he has to sit out under transfer rules.

"Cincinnati is definitely a good fit for Jones," said Novak. "They run the spread and Brian (Kelly) is a good coach."

Kelly coached against Novak and the Huskies the past three seasons at Central Michigan, this week's Huskie opponent.

The Bearcats are off to a 4-0 start for the first time since the 1954 season and cracked the AP Top 25 this week for the first time since 1976. They're ranked No. 24.

Siler said Cincinnati was contacted by Notre Dame on Monday morning, alerting Bearcat officials that an individual (Jones) had requested to speak to them bout transferring there.

"(Jones transfer) was not something that was on anybody's radar here," said Siler.

The story became public on Sept. 14th when Jones missed Notre Dame's team bus to Ann Arbor for its Sept. 15th game at Michigan. That day, he was in the stands in DeKalb, watching NIU lose to Eastern Michigan.

Jones had practiced Sept. 13th at Notre Dame but might have enrolled at Northern earlier in the week. He was listed in the school's on-line student phone directory on Sept. 15th but was no longer listed midway through the following week.

Notre Dame officials initially balked at releasing Jones after it had been reported he was already attending classes at NIU. After a meeting with coach Charlie Weis and athletic director Kevin White, they agreed to his release from scholarship as long as he didn't attend a school on the Irish schedule.

Jones will have two years eligibility remaining at UC, which has used two quarterbacks this season. Dustin Grutza, a junior and two-year starter, has started two games. Ben Mauck, a graduate student in his last year of eligibility after transferring in this year from Wake Forest, started the other two.

Kelly told the Enquirer, Jones "is athletic. He can run it and he can throw it. In this day and age, we see that position requires more than a guy who can just drop back (and throw). He has to be able to do things with his feet."

That description also fits Dan LeFevour, the Central Michigan QB who led Kelly's club to a Mid-American Conference title in 2006.

rarmstrong@scn1.com
09-28-2007 09:45 AM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

ruperto17 Wrote:Yep, it's official. He withdrew from NIU last Monday.

If he truly withdrew as you say, there is an inconsistency with the Story. Novak talked to him Tuesday. If he withdrew, was he going to re apply?
09-28-2007 09:53 AM
dynovinyl Offline
Heisman

The thing did have an [eventually] on it.
09-28-2007 11:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

brandsxb Offline
Bench Warmer

The guy transferred because he was second string at ND, now what happens if he finds that he is second string at UCinn. UCinn football is doing great this season without Jones. He may find himself more disappointed at UCinn then at ND. Maybe he should of thought about being at a place he likes and getting a good education. If he can't make it at ND with their 4-0 season he is probably not going to the NFL.
09-28-2007 11:33 AM
sterling1man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
This is disappointing. Good Luck DJ, if Cinci puts you on the Bench remember us.
WE miss you already and want the best for you, hope you succeed at Cinci!
Regarding us at NIU: Still wishing for a wishbone(QB who can run at NIU) The next Robinson!
Maybe we can get Billy Lowe to transfer back to NIU??
He is #4QB at GSU and is unlikely to see much playing time at GSU for the next two years barring injuries.
09-28-2007 11:50 AM
cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
sterling1man Wrote:This is disappointing. Good Luck DJ, if Cinci puts you on the Bench remember us.
WE miss you already and want the best for you, hope you succeed at Cinci!
Regarding us at NIU: Still wishing for a wishbone(QB who can run at NIU) The next Robinson!
Maybe we can get Billy Lowe to transfer back to NIU??
He is #4QB at GSU and is unlikely to see much playing time at GSU for the next two years barring injuries.

This might be the most nonsensical crap I have ever read... and I read a lot of nonsensical crap.
09-28-2007 11:56 AM
HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators
The Tribune today said that he didn't enroll in time to play next year for us... Is this true? Is that why he is going to Cinn?
09-28-2007 12:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bikechuck Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
I am not disappointed at all. I was kind of hoping one of our guys would beat him out next Spring and I am beginning to wonder if he has the temprement to play QB at the college level. I would not be all that surprised to see him get beaten out at Cinncy and to finish his career up at a D1AA school.

Best of luck to the young man. Wherever he does finish up, I hope that he takes advantages of the opportunities he is being given and that he earns a degree. Making it in the NFL is a long shot for anyone.
09-28-2007 12:22 PM
Advertisement

TheNEWguy Offline
Banned

brandsxb Wrote:The guy transferred because he was second string at ND, now what happens if he finds that he is second string at UCinn. UCinn football is doing great this season without Jones. He may find himself more disappointed at UCinn then at ND. Maybe he should of thought about being at a place he likes and getting a good education. If he can't make it at ND with their 4-0 season he is probably not going to the NFL.

I think there are a lot of arguments for WHY he couldn't make it at ND.

What really matters is that he left to play football somewhere, not watch it. Ucincy i'm not sure will offer him that PT. 2 guys with experience ahead of him (Mauk is trying to get his 6th year).

Here is what is important. The Paul Blalock/Harnish/Grady ERA is now cleared to begin next year, or the year after!!!!! 02-13-banana (I still believe in Dan though. I also happen to believe if we beat CMU we aren't dead yet in the West!!!!)
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2007 12:34 PM by TheNEWguy.)
09-28-2007 12:33 PM
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Many factors may have shaped his decision.

This may be just one of many.
With DanN returning next season perhaps he thought he may sit awhile next season learning the system & sitting out this fall or wait until 2009 for his opportunity at NIU. He has two older players now in front of him at cincy and no Blalock to compete with. The appeal of playing QB in a spread O may have also shaped his decision. There would be NO chance of that happenening next season at NIU.
09-28-2007 01:06 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I took credit for him coming here. I guess I have egg on my face.
09-28-2007 02:11 PM
chazb2 Offline
Banned

I Root For:
I guess DJ will be able to find money after all, since no schollies are available at Cincy. Obviously, he must have thought NIU was a joke since paying his own way was never an issue.
09-28-2007 04:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2020 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.