Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIU Football, Joe Novak, and Close Games
Bookmark and Share
NIUtrav09 Offline
Huskies and Illini. Get over it!

I Root For: NIU and U of I
NIU Football, Joe Novak, and Close Games
I was looking around in the "archives" section of niuhuskies.com looking at past results, stats, etc. Something popped out at me right away.. NIU does not win close games.

2005:
wk. 2 @ Northwestern L 37-38
-The infamous 2 point conversion play. Let's not forget NIU had a 14-3 lead in this game.

wk. 4 @ Akron L 42-48
-Lost in overtime

wk 9. @ CMU W 31-28
-Huge win.. got NIU back into the MAC title hunt

MACC vs. Akron L 30-31
-Does anything really need to be said?

2006:
wk. 2 vs. Ohio L 23-35
-In my opinion, we overlooked Ohio. Yes, they went on to have a good season but the Huskies should not have lost this game.

wk. 6 @ Miami OH W 28-25
-Boring game against a winless Miami OH squad. NIU really could never get things going and escaped with a win.

wk. 7 @ WMU L 14-16
-Had several chances to win this game but simply could not. The O-Line decided not to show up today and Wolfe could never get going.

wk. 9 @ Iowa L 14-24
-NIU played tough against a very good team. Another coulda, shoulda, woulda game.

wk 10 vs. Toledo L 13-17
-The infamous Fog Bowl game. 1st and goal and they couldn't punch it in. Questionable play calling.

2007:
wk 2 vs SIU
-Choke job.

Since 2005, our record in close games is 2-8

They say a good indicator of coaching strength is W/L record in close games...

My thoughts:
Novak made us a good team. He brought us out of the lowest of the lows and gained NIU respect. Without him there is no Wolfe, no AAPC, no MACC, no Nationally televised games, no SI articles, no Silicon Vally Bowl, no Poinsettia Bowl, no 20,000+ ave attendance, etc.

However, Joe is not the guy to take NIU to the next level - whatever that may be.

Your turn. Is this 2-8 record the result of bad coaching? Bad players? Bad luck?
09-10-2007 03:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

niu79 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
RE: NIU Football, Joe Novak, and Close Games
In 2002 we started the season by winning a close game (Wake Forest) and won a game after being far behind (Miami). However that same season we lost three close games in the last minutes (Wisconsin, WIU, and Toledo).

But we did win all of the close games in 2003 (Maryland, Alabama, Ohio) and 2004 (Ball State).

If anything, winning the close games has been cyclical, although we are in the third year of a drought.
09-10-2007 04:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIUDiesel1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
One thing NIU has trouble understanding is, that everyone knows now what they do when they have a lead. They become very predictable on both offense and defense. Very few risky passes, and very few blitzes. The end of that SIU game should have seen us blitzing our LB's or safties on both of the 4th down conversions. Chances are if Kube is blitzing on that last TD play and at least forcing SIU's QB to throw with someone in his face....then chances are our CB gets over and at least tips the pass or makes the reciever have to make a great catch. NIU refuses to do this, and our DB's have shown time in and time out that they either not atheletic enough or just don't have the instincts to understand where the QB is going with the ball. SIU's QB was rolling right on the last play yet Kube was in the middle of the field doing god knows what. I understand being conservative on offense, with a lead. But if you start seeing a team gain momentum against your defense then you have to do something. This coaching staff, is going to coach their way out of job, by being stubborn. Oh yea and that "starburst" play at the end was an absolute joke, they would have been better off fair catching the last kickoff.
09-10-2007 04:40 PM
illinoisportsfan Offline
Bench Warmer

Sad RE: NIU Football, Joe Novak, and Close Games
Novak always tries to run out the clock when they get a lead. They start way too early; they can't hold onto the ball because the defense knows they are going to run every play and stacks the box; and their defense gets worn out by teams driving down the field with ease because of the soft zone NIU goes into.

Pretty much, if NIU gets a big lead early you can count on sweating out a last-minute drive by the other team, which more-often-than-not lately ends in NIU losing another heartbreaker.

It is maddening. I hate it. And the same thing happens game after game after game. Novak has to be the most stubborn coach I've ever seen, beside Dick Jauron. 03-banghead 03-banghead 03-banghead
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2007 10:19 AM by illinoisportsfan.)
09-10-2007 05:47 PM
NIUtrav09 Offline

niu79 Wrote:In 2002 we started the season by winning a close game (Wake Forest) and won a game after being far behind (Miami). However that same season we lost three close games in the last minutes (Wisconsin, WIU, and Toledo).

But we did win all of the close games in 2003 (Maryland, Alabama, Ohio) and 2004 (Ball State).

If anything, winning the close games has been cyclical, although we are in the third year of a drought.

I only went back as far as 2005 because that is when I really started following NIU football... that, of course, was my freshman year.
09-10-2007 06:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Legend

I Root For: any UT opponent
Interesting analysis but keep in mind that over the past several years NIU has blown out several opponents, the games they lose are typically the close ones which is just evidence that they do not get blown out much.
09-10-2007 07:40 PM

cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
we should be at least .500 in games played since 2007 with a margin of less than 8.

Are we?
09-10-2007 08:46 PM
gyrosandcheesefries Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Huskies
NIUDiesel1 Wrote:Oh yea and that "starburst" play at the end was an absolute joke, they would have been better off fair catching the last kickoff.
That play had me laughing a number of times yesterday. I guess laughter is truly the best medicine. I've been refering to it as the hide the ball cluster fcuk kick off return. Goofiest play I've seen in quite a while. Perhaps what was missing was while in full cluster, someone shoving the down his pants for better disguise.

Agree about the lack of blitzing. That's been toned down too much in the last few years IMHO.
09-10-2007 08:55 PM
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
actally with 12 seconds remaining it was worth the risks IMO.

I moaned such trickeration was NOT attempted following Akron's winning TD in MACC.

The Cal-Stanford band fiasco always comes to mind. Just toss the damn ball around until you cannot any longer.

Even a lateral across the field or variation of hook and ladder would suggest preparation for such desparate moments rather than hoping a 6o + yard hail mary was gonna save you azz.

BTW : Did you see how far Hill threw the ball with some zip in the first quarter? I swear it traveled 60 plus yards in the air and was not way off the target.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2007 10:49 PM by cyberdawg.)
09-10-2007 10:47 PM
onlinepole Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NU & NIU
Another part of the reason why NIU losses leads late has to do with inadequate substitution on defense because of a lack of quality depth.
09-10-2007 10:56 PM
NiuCoils Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU HUSKIES

Donators
illinoisportsfan Wrote:Novak always tries to run out the clock when they get a lead. They start way too early; they can't hold onto the ball because the defense knows they are going to run every play and stacks the box; and their defense gets worn out by teams driving down the field with ease because of the soft zone NIU goes into.

Pretty much, if NIU gets a big lead early you can count on sweating out a last-minute drive by the other team, which more often-than-not lately ends in NIU losing another hearthbreaker.

It is maddening. I hate it. And the same thing happens game after game after game. Novak has to be the most stubborn coach I've ever seen, beside Dick Jauron. 03-banghead 03-banghead 03-banghead

I'm embarrassed to ask this, but I really don't know... Does Joe do all the play calling during a game, and/or do the Offensive and Defensive Coordinators have any input?
09-10-2007 10:56 PM

NIUtrav09 Offline

NiuCoils Wrote:
illinoisportsfan Wrote:Novak always tries to run out the clock when they get a lead. They start way too early; they can't hold onto the ball because the defense knows they are going to run every play and stacks the box; and their defense gets worn out by teams driving down the field with ease because of the soft zone NIU goes into.

Pretty much, if NIU gets a big lead early you can count on sweating out a last-minute drive by the other team, which more often-than-not lately ends in NIU losing another hearthbreaker.

I'm embarrassed to ask this, but I really don't know... Does Joe do all the play calling during a game, and/or do the Offensive and Defensive Coordinators have any input?

I'm almost positive the coordinators do the play calling. However, Novak comes up with the actual gameplan right?
09-11-2007 08:16 AM
illinoisportsfan Offline
Bench Warmer

NiuCoils Wrote:I'm embarrassed to ask this, but I really don't know... Does Joe do all the play calling during a game, and/or do the Offensive and Defensive Coordinators have any input?

I'm pretty sure he doesn't call all of the plays, but he's the one in charge and is responisible for what gets called. It would be one thing if it happened one game, but the fact that it is a clear pattern tells me that that's the way Joe wants the end of games called because it doesn't seem to ever change.

I would much rather that the team keep playing aggressively and lose a game now and then because of mistakes, then to continually sit through the air being sucked out of the ball (and the stadium) as we try to run out the clock while the other team takes it to us and makes it a nail-biter.
09-11-2007 10:24 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
illinoisportsfan Wrote:
NiuCoils Wrote:I'm embarrassed to ask this, but I really don't know... Does Joe do all the play calling during a game, and/or do the Offensive and Defensive Coordinators have any input?

I'm pretty sure he doesn't call all of the plays, but he's the one in charge and is responisible for what gets called. It would be one thing if it happened one game, but the fact that it is a clear pattern tells me that that's the way Joe wants the end of games called because it doesn't seem to ever change.

I would much rather that the team keep playing aggressively and lose a game now and then because of mistakes, then to continually sit through the air being sucked out of the ball (and the stadium) as we try to run out the clock while the other team takes it to us and makes it a nail-biter.

Agreed. It's Joe's team and his offensive philosophy. It is getting quite discouraging watching these games. No lead seems safe under this conservative philosophy. There are way too many games we win where I feel upset because the game gets tense in the 3rd and 4th quarters because we let the opposition back into the game. For once, I would like to see up apply full pressure the entire game, no matter what the score is. There is no need to be a nice guy, unless the game is a total blowout.
09-11-2007 10:31 AM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
Joe Novak's play calling is equivalent to Marty Schottenheimer.

WAY TO CONSERVATIVE
09-11-2007 10:39 AM
NIUDiesel1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
Doornbos has been the D coordinator for the past couple of years. I am sure him and Novak agree to what philosophy they like to use at the end of ballgames. Funny thing is NIU used to blitz quite a bit, the most infamous game being the Bowling Green game when they were undefeated at the time and ranked. We blitzed Harris (Bowling Green's QB) at the time constantly and he kept beating us a deep. Since then they have gone to this ultra conservative philosophy in which no lead is ever safe. Agree about the depth on the line being a problem with people getting tired which is why you have to blitz and try to force the action and get the D off the field. Whatever....its going on now for three years...and they apparently can't see it or are just too stubborn to admit they need change direction.
09-11-2007 10:53 AM

BobL Offline
Heisman

Dog Fan Wrote:
illinoisportsfan Wrote:

Agreed. It's Joe's team and his offensive philosophy. It is getting quite discouraging watching these games. No lead seems safe under this conservative philosophy. There are way too many games we win where I feel upset because the game gets tense in the 3rd and 4th quarters because we let the opposition back into the game. For once, I would like to see up apply full pressure the entire game, no matter what the score is. There is no need to be a nice guy, unless the game is a total blowout.

I agree...but lets not forget the 4th down play in the 4th quarter...a conservative move is to attempt the FG the aggresssive play is to go for it...Joe went for it...if not for the fumble it was a first down...

But I agree the offense must go for thew jugular as does the defense...we must not be put in a situation late in a game where we need to go for the 1st.

I have never felt safe with any lead...never...
09-11-2007 12:01 PM
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
memory is failing me.

Others can help restore a portion of it.

Compare the Akron and SIU games. Provide an informed indepth analysis of what went wrong in both.

Compare the two situations the last four minutes.

margin /lead for NIU.

Last NIU offensive series/final play/outcome

downs and distances/conversions by opposition

How NIU D positioned itself and coverages and breakdowns leading to defeat.

How oppostion picked NIU apart the final few minutes

How alike and dissimilar were the two games?
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2007 01:41 PM by cyberdawg.)
09-11-2007 01:04 PM
NIUtrav09 Offline

BUMP!

Chalk up another close loss.
09-15-2007 03:03 PM
rabidawg900 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: We Are Huskies
Good thread. Will update weekly lol.

Like it says in my sig, being an NIU fan is harder than being a cubs fan.
09-15-2007 03:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.