Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Millwood To Remain With Philly
Herd Fan 4-Life Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall

Donators

PHILADELPHIA -- Kevin Millwood accepted the Philadelphia Phillies' offer of salary arbitration on Friday.

Millwood, who made $9.9 million in his first season with the Phillies, had been seeking a five-year contract worth about $15 million per season. By accepting the offer, he is considered to be a signed player under baseball's rules. If the sides can't work out an agreement, his salary would be determined by an arbitration panel in February.

The Phillies offered the right-hander a three-year deal believed to be worth $30 million with an option for a fourth year. Millwood rejected the offer, which the Phillies withdrew when they acquired former All-Star Eric Milton from Minnesota earlier this month.

It was a surprise when the Phillies made the arbitration offer Dec. 7, but general manager Ed Wade said the team was willing to take on Millwood's salary for one year, even though it would put them "significantly over budget."

Millwood figures to earn about $11 million next season. He had until midnight Friday to accept arbitration.

The Phillies already have added All-Star closer Billy Wagner, who will make $8 million in 2004, and Milton, due to make $9 million in the final year of his contract.

Millwood will anchor a rotation that could be one of the best in baseball. Randy Wolf, Vicente Padilla, Milton and Millwood have been All-Stars, and Brett Myers could even be better.

Phillies manager Larry Bowa already has said that Millwood will start on opening day for the second consecutive season.

Millwood went 14-12 with a 4.01 ERA for the Phillies last year, and pitched a no-hitter against San Francisco on April 27.

He had a poor finish, going 0-3 with two no-decisions in his last five starts, including two disappointing outings against eventual World Series winner Florida with the wild card at stake.

In his last start, he left the field at Veterans Stadium in a strange moment, throwing his glove and hat into the stands as many fans booed.

Millwood was acquired from Atlanta for catcher Johnny Estrada a year ago in a cost-cutting move by the Braves. The Phillies had hoped to sign Millwood to a contract extension, but talks broke off early last season.

Millwood, who turns 29 on Dec. 24, is 89-58 with a 3.78 ERA. He won 17 games in his first full season in 1998 and twice has won 18 games.

The Phillies won 86 games last season, but finished 15 games behind Atlanta and five behind Florida. They had a half-game lead over the Marlins with eight games left, but were eliminated after losing the next six games.

Philadelphia has spent a lot of money the last two years, beginning with the signings of free agents Jim Thome ($85 million over six years) and David Bell ($17 million over four seasons) last year.

The Phillies are moving into a new ballpark in April and expect to generate more revenue. They could enter spring training as the favorite to win the NL East.
12-19-2003 03:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

The Phillies are looking VERY strong.
12-19-2003 07:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tysramm1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

strong enough to beat the braves??
12-19-2003 07:36 PM
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

The Braves are No. 1 until proven otherwise.
12-19-2003 07:47 PM
cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

tysramm1 Wrote:strong enough to beat the braves??
Definately. Atlanta can say :wave: to the postseason.
12-19-2003 09:32 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

cbfranchise3 Wrote:
tysramm1 Wrote:strong enough to beat the braves??
Definately. Atlanta can say :wave: to the postseason.
a lot of people were saying that last season
12-19-2003 10:33 PM

GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

Oh, for sweet...

Do I have to go dig up some post from last year? I get so sick of this "Atlanta is done" crap. I've been hearing it for 5 years now.
12-20-2003 11:45 AM
tysramm1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

but theyve never lost this many good players in one year in the past
12-20-2003 11:54 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

GDawgs88 Wrote:Oh, for sweet...

Do I have to go dig up some post from last year? I get so sick of this "Atlanta is done" crap. I've been hearing it for 5 years now.
you're 100% right. Atlanta hasn't lost the division in however many years, and they are still the favorites until someone beats them. plus, i'd take Cox over that moron Bowa, any day of the week.
12-20-2003 12:24 PM
cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

I personally have picked the Braves to win their division every year that I have been making predictions, until this year. Javy-gone. Sheff-gone. I think Maddux is gone. No Millwood. I doubt Marcus Giles will have another year like he did last year. JD Drew will have to be an all-star for the Braves to get into the postseason next year, and they need another great pitcher. Russ Ortiz won't win 20 games with next years lineup.
12-20-2003 02:19 PM
SouthLink02 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Giles is going to be a very good star. Not a HUGE #'s star but an overall solid player so expect more seasons like last year because his contact, stability, and talent are all going to improve.
12-20-2003 03:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

SouthLink02 Wrote:Giles is going to be a very good star. Not a HUGE #'s star but an overall solid player so expect more seasons like last year because his contact, stability, and talent are all going to improve.
Not like last year.
12-20-2003 04:27 PM
SouthLink02 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

cbfranchise3 Wrote:
SouthLink02 Wrote:Giles is going to be a very good star. Not a HUGE #'s star but an overall solid player so expect more seasons like last year because his contact, stability, and talent are all going to improve.
Not like last year.
Disagree. He can improve his stats if he beefed up and gained some more flexibility in his body.
12-20-2003 04:30 PM
cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

SouthLink02 Wrote:
cbfranchise3 Wrote:
Not like last year.
Disagree. He can improve his stats if he beefed up and gained some more flexibility in his body.
I guess we will have to see.
12-20-2003 05:09 PM
SouthLink02 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

What exactly is it that makes you believe he wont do it? Just because? Thats about the only reason I can think of...his minor league stats were impressive....BB/K always has been good...control of the bat has been great..power has always shown....am I missing something or are you just saying this because you dont like the Braves?
12-20-2003 05:11 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

SouthLink02 Wrote:What exactly is it that makes you believe he wont do it? Just because? Thats about the only reason I can think of...his minor league stats were impressive....BB/K always has been good...control of the bat has been great..power has always shown....am I missing something or are you just saying this because you dont like the Braves?
there is no reason to believe Giles can't improve. It's just one of those things where we'll have to wait and see.
12-20-2003 05:37 PM

cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

SouthLink02 Wrote:What exactly is it that makes you believe he wont do it? Just because? Thats about the only reason I can think of...his minor league stats were impressive....BB/K always has been good...control of the bat has been great..power has always shown....am I missing something or are you just saying this because you dont like the Braves?
Giles is a very solid player, I'm just saying I don't think he will approach last years numbers.
12-20-2003 07:26 PM
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

Why, cb? What reason do you have behind that.
12-21-2003 04:21 PM
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

tysramm1 Wrote:but theyve never lost this many good players in one year in the past
I don't know. Last year we lost Glavine, Millwood and our entire bullpen.
12-21-2003 04:24 PM
cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

GDawgs88 Wrote:Why, cb? What reason do you have behind that.
Just a gut. Thats good news if you are a Braves fan. Usually my guts suck. :D
12-21-2003 04:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.