Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How to make the NHL viable again
DawgNBama Offline
NCR Ranger

I Root For: p-natal vitamin

It's true that the NHL is indeed in trouble. A crappy contract with ABC/ESPN and and expanding a little too quickly has put the NHL in troubled waters. Not to mention the players are demanding more $$'s as well. What the NHL needs to do, IMO, is renegotiate it's tv contract with ABC/ESPN for starters. Either start airing more games, or we'll take our tv contract to CBS, NBC, or FOX, and follow through with it. A salary cap needs to be in place so more NHL teams can compete for better free agents and thus have a better shot at Lord Stanley's Cup. I wouldn't recomment expanding any more right now, but I wouldn't recommend contracting either. And I would wait a few years before relocating any franchises. Any thoughts on my ideas. :wave:
12-23-2003 05:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

DawgNBama Wrote:It's true that the NHL is indeed in trouble. A crappy contract with ABC/ESPN and and expanding a little too quickly has put the NHL in troubled waters. Not to mention the players are demanding more $$'s as well. What the NHL needs to do, IMO, is renegotiate it's tv contract with ABC/ESPN for starters. Either start airing more games, or we'll take our tv contract to CBS, NBC, or FOX, and follow through with it. A salary cap needs to be in place so more NHL teams can compete for better free agents and thus have a better shot at Lord Stanley's Cup. I wouldn't recomment expanding any more right now, but I wouldn't recommend contracting either. And I would wait a few years before relocating any franchises. Any thoughts on my ideas. :wave:
I think plenty of games are aired on ESPN and ABC combined.

I agree that the answer is not to contract teams yet, or at least not a lot of teams. Give the league a chance to work itself out, and see where that takes you.

Money wise, a salary cap may benefit, but would turn the NHL into the NFL, so no, I don't think there should be a salary cap. Make sure the leagues best players stay with one team, it will help make them more marketable.
12-23-2003 05:48 PM
tysramm1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

i think there are no huge marketable stars, with all of the european players in the league, there arent any household name stars that everyone can follow
12-23-2003 06:04 PM

T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

I Root For: Duke, VPI

Number one reason why the league is not popular in the US: SCORING. Games are no longer 4-5. They're now 2-1, or 3-2. When the demand to see these high scoring games goes up, the contracts will start coming in the mail. That means rule changes. Move the goal back closer to the boards, get rid of the 2 line pass, and widen the blue line to 6 feet to increase playing space.

Thats what I would do to get the league going again. The salary cap is not necessary. Look at last years Anaheim, Minnesota, and Carolina from two years ago. These teams had some of the lowest team salaries in the league, and yet they still made big runs against teams like Detroit, Colorado, and Toronto. And just cause you shell out big bucks doesn't mean your necessarily are gonna be better. Case in point: NY Rangers.
12-23-2003 06:06 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

another big problem is that the owners are pulling an Enron thing. They give out much more money than the league can handle.

I would watch hockey if the games were 5-4, not 2-1.
12-24-2003 12:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.