Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Yankees fill 3rd base hole
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

Associated Press
NEW YORK -- Looking for extra help at third base, the New York Yankees have worked out a trade to get Mike Lamb from the Texas Rangers.

The deal for minor league pitcher Jose Garcia cannot be finalized until the Yankees clear a spot on their 40-man roster for Lamb, the Rangers said Tuesday night.

Texas designated the lefty-hitting Lamb for assignment on Jan. 29, giving the Rangers 10 days to send him outright to the minors, trade him or ask waivers for the purpose of his unconditional release.

New York's need for a third baseman arose when All-Star Aaron Boone wrecked his left knee in mid-January playing pickup basketball. It is not certain when, or if, Boone will return this season.

The Yankees already had at least four possible candidates to replace Boone. Utilityman Enrique Wilson, rookie Erick Almonte and free agents Miguel Cairo and Tyler Houston all can play the position.

Earlier this week, Drew Henson said he was leaving baseball for the NFL. Once considered the Yankees' third baseman of the future, Henson struggled at the plate and in the field in the minors.

Lamb, 28, was once regarded as a top prospect for Texas. He hit .283 with nine home runs and 33 RBI in 314 at-bats for the Rangers in 2002, getting a chance to play full-time after Hank Blalock had trouble as a rookie.

But Blalock blossomed last year in spring training and beat out Lamb for the job.

Lamb hit only .132 (5-for-38) with two RBI in several short stints with Texas. He batted .288 with nine homers and 46 RBI at Triple-A Oklahoma, and in parts of seven minor league seasons has a career average over .300.

Lamb made his major league debut with Texas in 2000, hitting .278 with six homers and 47 RBI in 138 games. In 2001, he hit .306 with four homers and 35 RBI in 76 games for the Rangers.

Garcia, 22, was a combined 10-8 with a 2.52 ERA while splitting last season with Class A teams Battle Creek and Tampa. The Yankees signed the Venezuelan right-hander as an undrafted free agent in 1999.

<a href='http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1726670' target='_blank'>Linl</a>
02-04-2004 05:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Herd Fan 4-Life Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall

Donators

As a Reds fan, I came to appreciate all that Boone did for the Organization. He is a gritty, hard nosed player that isn't great at anything...but is good at alot. What a blow to the Yankees.

I just don't see Lamb as the answer. I don't think he can weather the Steinbrenner Storm for a whole year if Boone can't come back. I would then expect George to go out and get a big name player instead of pulling his hair out watching the platoon system.
02-04-2004 11:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

Herd Fan 4-Life Wrote:I just don't see Lamb as the answer. I don't think he can weather the Steinbrenner Storm for a whole year if Boone can't come back. I would then expect George to go out and get a big name player instead of pulling his hair out watching the platoon system.
Totally agree. This is just a stop-gap move. I'd be surprised if Lamb is still around in June or July.
02-05-2004 03:32 PM

cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

I haven't heard much about their rookie, but if it is between those guys, there will be a hole in the batting order.
02-05-2004 04:11 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

cbfranchise3 Wrote:I haven't heard much about their rookie, but if it is between those guys, there will be a hole in the batting order.
rookie?
02-05-2004 04:21 PM

JoltinJacket Offline
The Resident Stat Machine

I Root For: Georgia Tech

SkunkworksHall of FameCrappies

I've heard that they're interested in getting Robin Ventura back, but can't make a trade for him until June 15th because he signed with LA as a free agent. They might platoon Lamb and others until mid-June then go get Ventura.
02-05-2004 06:04 PM
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

Does Ventura have much left?
02-05-2004 08:12 PM

JoltinJacket Offline
The Resident Stat Machine

I Root For: Georgia Tech

SkunkworksHall of FameCrappies

I wouldn't think so. I actually thought he said was going to retire after last season but decided to come back for another year.
02-07-2004 09:40 AM
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

Yeah, I thought he was going to retire, too.
02-07-2004 02:51 PM
cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

flyingswoosh Wrote:
cbfranchise3 Wrote:I haven't heard much about their rookie, but if it is between those guys, there will be a hole in the batting order.
rookie?
rookie Erick Almonte
02-07-2004 04:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.