Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

'Sheed to the Hawks for Rahim and Ratliff
JoltinJacket Offline
The Resident Stat Machine

I Root For: Georgia Tech

SkunkworksHall of FameCrappies

This is a terrific move for the Blazers. They finally get Wallace out of town. On the other hand, I have NO idea what the Hawks think they're getting out of this other than clearing cap room...

Quote:The Portland Trail Blazers have acquired former NBA All-Stars Forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Center Theo Ratliff as well as Guard Dan Dickau from the Atlanta Hawks in return for Forward/Center Rasheed Wallace and Guard/Forward Wesley Person.

<a href='http://www.nba.com/blazers/news/Blazers_Roster_Moves-99272-41.html' target='_blank'>http://www.nba.com/blazers/news/Blazers_Ro...s-99272-41.html</a>
02-09-2004 11:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

That is exactly what Atlanta is doing, clearing space. But yea, what a trade for the Blazers. Stoudamire, Anderson, Abdur Rahim, Randolph, and Ratliff. And Dickau can be good with some PT. Obviously the Hawks are starting over.
02-10-2004 12:15 AM
JoltinJacket Offline

cbfranchise3 Wrote:Obviously the Hawks are starting over.
For like the 3rd time in 5 years. :bang:

Jason Terry and Stephen Jackson are the only real NBA-caliber on that team now.
02-10-2004 01:27 AM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

JoltinJacket Wrote:

You forgot Rasheed. 03-razz

And heck, that guy despite his flaws is damn near All-NBA calliber. With him I could see yall making a run in the East. Sheed is gonna have a chip on his shoulder and will destroy Eastern Conference big men not named Martin or O'Neil.
02-10-2004 02:16 AM

raptorcox Offline
NBA Moderator

I Root For: USC Gamecocks

Crappies

JoltinJacket Wrote:For like the 3rd time in 5 years. :bang:
LOL 04-bow
02-10-2004 06:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lucy Offline
All American

I Root For: Wake Forest

DonatorsCrappies

The first thing I heard on the radio when I woke up this AM was news of the trade. Talk about wanting to bury my head back under the covers! What are the Hawks thinking??? Not only are they clearing salary, but they're gonna clear Philips Arena of what little fanbase they had left! The Hawks need total players, not a player with an attitude who is missing major parts of his brain (like how to go through life without attracting attention from police... :rolleyes: )

I haven't been a fan of the Hawks in years and definitely have no intentions of following them now...
02-10-2004 07:45 AM
cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

Terpy Wrote:
JoltinJacket Wrote:

You forgot Rasheed. 03-razz

And heck, that guy despite his flaws is damn near All-NBA calliber. With him I could see yall making a run in the East. Sheed is gonna have a chip on his shoulder and will destroy Eastern Conference big men not named Martin or O'Neil.
A run in the East? The Hawks just gave up two players that are top of their position for one. You could argue Shareef over Rasheed, straight up.
02-10-2004 07:56 AM

Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Shareef has never won anywhere, he wasnt even an all star this season, he puts up numbers but who cares if you dont win?

The fact is Portland (specifically Zach Randoplph) struggled when Sheed was out of the lineup. If you think Shareef is a better player than Sheed you are insane.

Ratliff blocks shots but he has absolutely no offensive game.

I dont know if you realize this or not but Portland has the longest playoff streak in the NBA and if wasnt for Sheed it wouldnt have ended a while ago.
02-10-2004 12:30 PM
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

As a Hawks fan, I hate to see Shareef go. He played his heart out for this team, even when it was obvious we were really bad. But, we couldn't win with him so we might as well send him off and rebuild. This gives us a lot of cap room next year, so we can try to go out and get a Kobe Bryant or a Kenyon Martin. It hurts us for the rest of this year, but down the road, this is going to turn this franchise around. I really believe that.
02-10-2004 03:24 PM
cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

Terpy Wrote:Shareef has never won anywhere, he wasnt even an all star this season, he puts up numbers but who cares if you dont win?

The fact is Portland (specifically Zach Randoplph) struggled when Sheed was out of the lineup. If you think Shareef is a better player than Sheed you are insane.

Ratliff blocks shots but he has absolutely no offensive game.

I dont know if you realize this or not but Portland has the longest playoff streak in the NBA and if wasnt for Sheed it wouldnt have ended a while ago.
True, Shareef has not won anywhere, but is that his fault?

I would rather have Shareef over Rasheed. There is no question Rasheed is a better talent, but I would also unquestionably take Shareef all factors included.

Ratliff does not need an offensive game when you have Abdur Rahim and Randolph, two guys who can score in the post.

Put Abdur Rahim and Ratliff on the Blazers all these years instead of Rasheed, the Blazers may have a championship.
02-10-2004 05:48 PM

JoltinJacket Offline

Quote:I would rather have Shareef over Rasheed. There is no question Rasheed is a better talent, but I would also unquestionably take Shareef all factors included.

Exactly. The Hawks have been through this before. Back in '99, they traded Steve Smith and Mookie Blaylock to Portland for Isaiah Rider. Was Rider better than Smith and Blaylock? Of course, but he had big problems staying out of trouble and ended up ripping this team apart. That trade is a huge reason the Hawks are the laughing stock of the league right now.

Hopefully, the Hawks can get a big name free agent in here this summer but I wouldn't count on it (remember the Bulls tried it a couple years ago). Who would want to come to one of the worst teams in the league and play in front of about 2000 people each night?
02-10-2004 06:19 PM
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

JoltinJacket Wrote:Who would want to come to one of the worst teams in the league and play in front of about 2000 people each night?
I think if we bring in a big name guy like say, Kobe, we won't have to worry about having 2000 fans at the Phillips Arena. Maybe we just need a superstar to come in and get these fans excited. It worked with the Falcons when they got Michael Vick.
02-10-2004 08:32 PM
tysramm1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

GDawgs88 Wrote:
JoltinJacket Wrote:Who would want to come to one of the worst teams in the league and play in front of about 2000 people each night?
I think if we bring in a big name guy like say, Kobe, we won't have to worry about having 2000 fans at the Phillips Arena. Maybe we just need a superstar to come in and get these fans excited. It worked with the Falcons when they got Michael Vick.
the difference there is that vick was drafted by an atlanta team, while no top free agent in his right mind, like kobe bryant, will likely sign with the hawks
02-10-2004 08:47 PM

GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

And where else would he sign? With the Clippers? Please. They're even worse off than the Hawks.

Really, I don't see what's so bad about signing with the Hawks. If we spend our money right, we will be contender in a year or two, plus Atlanta is a great city.
02-10-2004 09:11 PM
cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

GDawgs88 Wrote:And where else would he sign? With the Clippers? Please. They're even worse off than the Hawks.

Really, I don't see what's so bad about signing with the Hawks. If we spend our money right, we will be contender in a year or two, plus Atlanta is a great city.
Especially in the East, anything can happen. But I also doubt that Kobe would go to the Hawks. If he leaves LA, it will be to Denver or Memphis.

But the Hawks are headed in a direction now at least. Look at what the Nuggets did this year. You don't need Kobe Bryant, but the Andre Miller's and Earl Boykins type players you can get for good values.
02-10-2004 09:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.