Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A-Rod deal imminent
cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

Yankees deal Soriano to Rangers for A-Rod.
02-14-2004 04:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

This is a good move for Texas, IMHO. They get rid of A-Rod and his huge salary, and bring in a guy who can be almost as productive.
02-14-2004 05:31 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

GDawgs88 Wrote:This is a good move for Texas, IMHO. They get rid of A-Rod and his huge salary, and bring in a guy who can be almost as productive.
i agree. they saved so much money and gained a power AND running threat. Soriano's numbers will improve in that launching pad. The yankees of course gained an A+ RBI threat. I have two problems with this trade. 1) putting a-rod on third is such a waste of his fielding ability. He finally passed jeter in fielding, and now he's going to the hot corner. 2) who's going to play second base for the yankees, and where is michael young going to play?
02-14-2004 05:35 PM
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

flyingswoosh Wrote:and where is michael young going to play?
That's a good question. I don't know if he can play shortstop. And definitely not third because they have Blalock.
02-14-2004 05:45 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

GDawgs88 Wrote:
flyingswoosh Wrote:and where is michael young going to play?
That's a good question. I don't know if he can play shortstop. And definitely not third because they have Blalock.
yeah, this is kinda weird, but who cares? they'll figure out something.
02-14-2004 05:48 PM

JoltinJacket Offline
The Resident Stat Machine

I Root For: Georgia Tech

SkunkworksHall of FameCrappies

Good lord. Does this put their payroll over the $200 million mark yet?

A-Rod has played one inning at third in his career, and that was in the '00 All-Star game. So you've got him, an unknown 2B at this point, and Giambi full-time at first. This could easily be the worst defensive infield ever assembled.

George is just waving his wallet at everyone with this deal. Now there's no 2nd baseman, still no left-handed starters, and the old arms of their middle-relievers are being held on by duct tape. Obviously, it's an improvement to have A-Rod's bat in that lineup, but they still have not addressed their major problems.
02-14-2004 06:14 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Soriano played short in the minors, im pretty sure Texas would move him back to short and keep Young at second.
02-14-2004 06:20 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

Terpy Wrote:Soriano played short in the minors, im pretty sure Texas would move him back to short and keep Young at second.
yeah i remember soraino playing ss in the minors, but i really don't think he has the arm to play it in the bigs.
02-14-2004 06:25 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

He would have played short in the bigs if Jeter wasnt there.
02-14-2004 06:35 PM

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

he still has no arm
02-14-2004 07:12 PM
cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

I doubt that Soriano will play SS. My guess is that Young moves there.

I overall think this is a good trade for both teams considering what they were trying to do. I don't think Soriano will be in Texas more than two years.
02-14-2004 08:29 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

cbfranchise3 Wrote:I doubt that Soriano will play SS. My guess is that Young moves there.

I overall think this is a good trade for both teams considering what they were trying to do. I don't think Soriano will be in Texas more than two years.
i think young will play ss, too.

why would soriano be gone after 2 years? He's an awesome young talent, he's in the perfect place, and texas will offer him big bucks.
02-14-2004 11:04 PM
cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

flyingswoosh Wrote:
cbfranchise3 Wrote:I doubt that Soriano will play SS.  My guess is that Young moves there.

I overall think this is a good trade for both teams considering what they were trying to do.  I don't think Soriano will be in Texas more than two years.
i think young will play ss, too.

why would soriano be gone after 2 years? He's an awesome young talent, he's in the perfect place, and texas will offer him big bucks.
I think Soriano will get frustrated with losing and ask for a trade. The Rangers still are not anywhere close to sniffing the postseason.
02-14-2004 11:42 PM

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

[quote="cbfranchise3"] [quote="flyingswoosh"] [quote="cbfranchise3"] I doubt that Soriano will play SS.
02-14-2004 11:59 PM
Herd Fan 4-Life Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall

Donators

'Captain' A-Rod jumps ship

John Donovan, SI.com

Things change. I understand that. Everyone understands that. Minds change, attitudes change. Times change. What's true in November and December and January is not necessarily so in February. Happens all the time.

But this Alex Rodriguez thing ... I mean, I'm not sure that anyone in baseball was really ready to believe that Rodriguez actually would be playing in Texas this season, no matter what came out of his mouth the past few weeks. Not until he showed up in Texas with a Rangers uniform on, anyway. There just weren't many people who bought the idea that A-Rod, suddenly, had come to some sort of peace with the idea of playing for the sad-sack Rangers. Or that the Rangers suddenly believed that they could win while still forking over about a third of their payroll to Rodriguez.

So, three weeks after Rodriguez and Rangers manager Buck Showalter supposedly mended their beat-up fences, three weeks after the skipper named the American League MVP the Rangers' first captain in 20 years, three weeks after A-Rod muttered these now-asinine words -- "I definitely think I'm going to be here for a long time" -- and three weeks after Texas owner Tom Hicks said this -- "Alex will not only be our starting shortstop on Opening Day, but our captain" -- A-Rod is gone.

Not quite two months after the A-Rod-to-Boston deal publicly and painfully fell through, Rodriguez has turned in his captain bars, waived his no-trade clause, waved goodbye to Showalter, thanked Mr. Hicks, jumped ship and started packing for the New York Yankees' spring training camp in Tampa, Fla.

Strange? Absolutely. Shameful? Yeah, you could call it that, too. But shocking? No. Not really. This is nothing new for Rodriguez, the Rangers or baseball, for that matter. It's the rich getting richer. The little guys falling further behind. And the Boston Red Sox finishing second. Again.

Rodriguez signed a 10-year, $252 million contract with the Rangers before the 2001 season and instantly declared his devotion to the team. It didn't take him long, though, to realize that the Rangers couldn't win with him making that kind of money. So he let it be known that, if trading him turned out to be the best thing for the Rangers, he'd be amenable to a trade. You know. If it were good for the Rangers.

Well, the Rangers long ago came to the realization that A-Rod's contract was a stone dragging them straight to the bottom of the AL West standings. So they talked to the Red Sox and almost had a deal before the players union nixed it and, with it, seemingly any chance the Rangers had of freeing themselves of A-Rod and his monstrous contract.

Since then, the Rangers and A-Rod said all the right things. A five-hour meeting in New York on Jan. 25 reportedly cleared some rotten air. The move to make A-Rod captain installed him as the clear team leader. A-Rod supposedly settled in for the long term.

But when Aaron Boone, the Yankees' third baseman, blew out his knee playing basketball, the Yankees (the only team, other than Boston, that could even dream of taking on Rodriguez's contract) and Rangers started talking. A-Rod, the AL Gold Glove at shortstop, said "Sure, I can play third." The Rangers said "Absolutely, we'll help pay some of A-Rod's contract if you want him."

Vlade Divac looks semi-comatose next to these floppers.

The truth is, A-Rod would never have been happy in Texas because, with A-Rod in Texas, the Rangers would never be winners. Not in that division. And the Rangers, as much as they'd love to have the league's best player on the team, would be nothing near the best with him in Arlington. That was true when he signed the contract. And it's true now, despite what A-Rod and the Rangers said these past few weeks.

When you add a couple of peripheral issues into the equation -- mainly, the icy relationship between A-Rod and Showalter and the icy relationship between A-Rod and some of his teammates -- A-Rod and the Rangers were in for a long, terrible ride.

The nice talk between the two sides in these past weeks was just that. When the opportunity came, these two took their shaky marriage and bolted for the first place that could give them a quickie divorce. When Boston couldn't, George Steinbrenner stepped in and did the honors. It was probably A-Rod's last chance to leave.

So the richest player in baseball goes to the Yankees. The Red Sox take it in the shorts. Rodriguez looks out for No. 1.

Sure, things change all the time. This, sadly, isn't one of those times.
02-15-2004 01:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

A-Rod to the Yankees for Soriano is a hell of a trade, but couldn't be worse for baseball. The last thing MLB needs is for the Yankees to continue to add on to their payroll and horde all the top players. Plus, the Yankees should be more concerned about replacing Wells, Clemens and Pettitte with 38-year old broken down Kevin Brown (Vasquez is a very good pickup, but who else did they get?).

And moving A-Rod to third - that's assinine. He's a better offensive and defensive shortstop than Jeter (and possibly anyone to ever play the game). Move Jeter to third (or second, for that matter).

I'm not a Boston fan, but getting A-Rod to the Sox would have been the best trade for MLB. It would give the Boston end of the Yanks/Sox rivalry some true legitimacy, rather than just the little brother syndrome that has existed for years in the Northeast.
02-15-2004 11:46 AM
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

That was a great post HuskieDan. 04-rock
02-15-2004 01:21 PM

GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

cbfranchise3 Wrote:I doubt that Soriano will play SS. My guess is that Young moves there.
Yeah, Michael Young will play short, Eric Young will play second, and Soriano will play center.
02-15-2004 01:22 PM
cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

GDawgs88 Wrote:
cbfranchise3 Wrote:I doubt that Soriano will play SS.  My guess is that Young moves there.
Yeah, Michael Young will play short, Eric Young will play second, and Soriano will play center.
Soriano at center? Wow, that is interesting.
02-15-2004 03:28 PM
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

Yeah, Texas really didn't have a good centerfielder so I guess they thought it would be best if Soriano played there.
02-15-2004 03:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.