Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Schmidt and Nen headed to DL
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Giants manager Felipe Alou expects closer Robb Nen to start the season on the disabled list -- and ace Jason Schmidt is likely to join him.

Nen, trying to recover from three shoulder surgeries that caused him to miss the entire 2003 season, hasn't thrown off the mound in a week, while Schmidt hasn't pitched since going four innings against the Chicago Cubs on March 14 because of shoulder soreness.

"I figure he will [be on the DL]," Alou said of Nen after San Francisco's 3-0 loss to the Anaheim Angels on Sunday. "He hasn't pitched. We haven't made that official."

Nen, a three-time All-Star who had 43 saves and a 2.20 ERA in 2002, played catch on flat ground Sunday. But there's no timetable for when he will pitch off a mound. Nen's workload was cut back last week because of discomfort in his shoulder.

"Obviously, we'd like to have done some more," trainer Stan Conte said. "But his shoulder doesn't warrant that. I'm pleased with his progress. I wish it was quicker, but it's progress.

"The disabled list is something we're definitely looking into. The toughest thing about the disabled list is trying to predict how someone will be between now and April 5."

Schmidt's problem is unrelated to his offseason elbow surgery to remove scar tissue and repair a torn tendon. He threw on flat ground Sunday and experienced no discomfort. Conte hopes Schmidt will be ready to throw a full bullpen session Tuesday.

Schmidt went 17-5 with a league-leading 2.34 ERA last season and made his first All-Star team, pitching two scoreless innings.

Reliever Scott Eyre is also hurt.

Eyre aggravated a lower back injury during San Francisco's 8-5 victory over the Oakland Athletics in a split-squad game Friday. The lefty, who believes he has a bulging disk, received an epidural Sunday to reduce inflammation.

"It would be highly unlikely he'd be available April 5," Conte said. "The first week or two is strictly healing."

<a href='http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1770801' target='_blank'>http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1770801</a>
03-29-2004 03:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

JoltinJacket Offline
The Resident Stat Machine

I Root For: Georgia Tech

SkunkworksHall of FameCrappies

Reliever Scott Eyre is also headed to the DL. Things aren't looking good for the G-Men.
03-31-2004 01:07 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

schmidt isn't going on the DL
03-31-2004 02:51 PM

GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

flyingswoosh Wrote:schmidt isn't going on the DL
I just read that.
03-31-2004 03:16 PM
JoltinJacket Offline
The Resident Stat Machine

I Root For: Georgia Tech

SkunkworksHall of FameCrappies

GDawgs88 Wrote:
flyingswoosh Wrote:schmidt isn't going on the DL
I just read that.
:stupid:
03-31-2004 04:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.