Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Article on former hockey player Daryl Moore
thegeneral Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU, OU
Article on former hockey player Daryl Moore
Quote:Moore rediscovers love of hockey with Cyclones

Brian Smiley

After four years of playing hockey at Western Michigan University, Brantford's Daryl Moore entered the world of professional hockey last summer.

It was a world he wasn't sure he wanted to enter.

"I kind of lost a little bit of desire to play after playing at Western Michigan," said Moore. "But I didn't want to leave hockey not loving hockey."

Now, after completing this past season with the Pee Dee Cyclones of the Southern Professional Hockey League, Moore's desire is back. And he may be better than ever.

Moore, a North Park Collegiate graduate, had a stellar career with the Mid-Western Junior B Hockey League's Brantford Golden Eagles. Although the son of Tim and Nancy has always been a bit on the small side, he was a flashy forward with the gift of being able to find each team's opposing goal.

When Western Michigan came knocking, offering a scholarship to the five-foot-six 170-pounder, he took it.

Moore began classes at WMU in 2002, hoping to earn a degree in exercise science. He also began playing hockey with the Broncos but didn't get to see much ice during his first two years in Kalamazoo.

In Moore's first two seasons, he played in just 23 of WMU's 70-plus contests. In those games, he failed to record a single goal or assist.

Part of his inactivity was due to injury and part was due to his inexperience.

Finally, in his junior season, Moore was able to get into 37 games, scoring four goals and adding 12 assists.

Last year, in his senior season, he scored six goals and added 11 assists in 33 games.

Following the completion of last year's NCAA season with the Broncos, Moore was looking at playing professionally.

"I talked to some teams but I had the hardest classes in my major so I couldn't leave to go play at the end of the college season," he said.

However, the 24-year-old did sign to play with the Memphis RiverKings in the Central Hockey League for the 2006-07 season.

"When we tried to go to training camp, we had visa problems," recalled Moore. "We tried to get across the border but we got sent back. I didn't get to Memphis until a Thursday.

"I played in games on Friday and Saturday with a couple of fighters who couldn't skate and then I got cut."

Fortunately, on the same day he got cut from Memphis, he hooked up with Pee Dee. He eventually wound up making the team and began his professional career in the SPHL.

"It was a lot better hockey than I anticipated," said Moore. "A lot of people say the league isn't that good but that's not true.

"The defencemen are smaller (than other leagues) but for the most part there's a lot of good forwards in the league."

Moore quickly became one of those forwards.

Starting out at centre, Moore struggled at first with his new team, notching nine goals and three assists in his first 26 games. But after Christmas, he exploded.

"After Christmas, I had a game where I scored a goal and had two assists," Moore said of a Jan. 12 contest against the Knoxville Ice Bears. "I also had a nine-game goal-scoring streak that started with that game."

Moore actually tallied 10 goals and seven assists during that period. The nine-game goal-scoring streak tied a league record.

The difference for Moore seemed to be a change of position.

"I don't know if playing wing allows me to be more offensive or not," he said.

And although Pee Dee (16 wins, 32 losses and eight overtime losses) finished seventh in the eight-team league and missed the playoffs, Moore finished his season with a flourish.

By the time he was done, he had scored 33 goals and added 23 assists for 56 points in 56 games. That helped Moore win Pee Dee's rookie of the year and most likely to succeed awards.

He was also named to the league's first-team all-rookie squad and was awarded the league's player of the week trophy for the final week of the season.

All this has helped Moore - who needs two classes and an internship to graduate from WMU - find something that was missing.

"It was a lot of fun," he said. "(Professional hockey) is less structured than school. You do your own thing and just make sure you perform."

So, will he continue playing professionally? It looks like it at this point.

"In my mind, if I can't play in the (East Coast Hockey League), I'd like to go back to the SPHL."
http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/weba...%20Local
04-12-2007 12:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.