broncojohnny Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
From Couch on MLive
Saturday, April 07, 2007

Burdi sees more time at QB; Simmons, Allen star in scrimmage
This morning's football scrimmage gave little away
View from the Couch
as to who may be the starter at the most talked about position on the Broncos ... leftside defensive end.

Kidding.

The quarterback position is more up for grabs than it was a week ago. Now, redshirt freshman Drew Burdi is legitimately in the mix. Unlike last week, Burdi took just as many snaps as senior Thomas Peregrin and sophomore Tim Hiller, and much of Burdi's time came with the first unit.

Burdi led two touchdown drives -- capped by short runs from Mark Bonds and Glenis Thompson, respectively (more on that later) -- but also had a fumble on an option play and two interceptions. Burdi appeared to score his own touchdown on a shifty 25-yard option right, but he was whistled down after 5 yards.

Peregrin had a better morning than last Saturday, though some of that was because Jamarko Simmons has become a flat-out playmaker. Simmons caught the only touchdown pass of the scrimmage from Peregrin on a 7-yard fade rout. On the play, a nice cut by Simmons helped the junior receiver become wide open on the left side.

This, after Simmons held onto a 13-yard pass over the middle from Peregrin three plays earlier despite taking a shot as soon as he touched the ball.

Simmons scored again later on a reverse left on first-and-goal from the 1. The play looked like a loss, but Simmons found a seam, broke a tackle and then stiff-armed a defender as he crossed the goal line.

Afterward, coach Bill Cubit -- a man who doesn't toss many undeserved compliments his players' way -- couldn't hide how pleased he was with Simmons.

"He's grown up," Cubit said of Simmons. "I think he's got a chance to be a pretty good player."

As for Hiller, he didn't do anything outstanding -- though he did complete a nice 23-yard come-back rout to Chris Maragos -- but he also didn't make any costly mistakes.

It's difficult to separate these three and I don't believe any one of them is very far ahead of either of the other two in Cubit's eyes. One thing I have noticed, this year's quarterback will be asked to run on occasion. Peregrin scored on an 18-yard scamper where he faked a hand-off right and took off left. The same play sprung sophomore Caleb Clark -- who doesn't appear to be in the mix -- for more than 50 yards a week ago.

As for Bonds and Thompson, both got a ton of work with Brandon West out with the flu, and they both seemed motivated by the other's play. Cubit said it was the best Thompson has looked this spring.

Thompson scored on a strong 1-yard run, which he helped set up with a powerful 15-yard run during which he broke several tackles.

Bonds scored twice -- on runs of 1 yard and nine yards -- and followed Thompson's tackle-busting 15-yard burst with one of his own (also for 15 yards) on the next drive.

Defensively, WMU looks much closer to being ready for game action. This is to be expected with eight starters back. Cubit said the defense is part of the reason the offense's play isn't so friendly on the eyes sometimes.

This morning, the unexpected star of the group was senior safety Antwain Allen, who had eight tackles, two interceptions and a fumble recovery. It's the first time since he tore his ACL last spring that I've seen him look comfortable and confident.

Next week's spring game should be interesting -- provided it stops snowing.

Print | Send To A Friend | Permalink (Learn More)

Wednesday, April 04, 2007
04-07-2007 01:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

connerito Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Johnny,
Thanks.
04-07-2007 01:13 PM
Whinny1 Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU and Iowa

Now that's what I've been looking for.......MAJOR detail! Thanks jc.
04-07-2007 01:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.