Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Footbal Facility
Bookmark and Share
NIUbro Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I have been reading the posts on this project and I am disturbed but two things. (1) No seating proposed for the north end zone (2) No indoor practice facility
It seems to me that the indoor practice facility is what draws the recruits. It seems to me that the two top priorities should be increasing the seating by adding another section to the north end zone and putting in an indoor practice facility. I question how much input Joe had on this project!!!
01-08-2004 09:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Lukulos Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I don't think the question is Joe's input, but rather funding. We don't have the financial means right now to build a facility like West Mich's. We have to settle on the current plans because it costs about the same amount of money the Athletics Dept feels they could raise on their own. I do believe though that the new facility will house football offices, locker room, media room for press conferences & possibly a weight room.
01-08-2004 11:25 AM
NIUbro Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Lukulos Wrote:I don't think the question is Joe's input, but rather funding. We don't have the financial means right now to build a facility like West Mich's. We have to settle on the current plans because it costs about the same amount of money the Athletics Dept feels they could raise on their own. I do believe though that the new facility will house football offices, locker room, media room for press conferences & possibly a weight room.
That is all nice but hasn't Joe been grousing all along about the need for an indoor practice facility. Might this be the reason there has been no contract extension announced yet? If we don't play our cards right this season will be a one shot deal and we will not leverage the success we had this year. I would hate to lose momentum.
01-08-2004 06:02 PM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Joe has talked about an indoor facility a bit - it is part of where we eventually need to get. But the absolute priority is what is currently planned - offices, meeting rooms, lockerrooms, weight room, training rooms; basically, the Huskie football building (though some of the facilities are planned to be shared, of course).

The staff needs a real place to bring recruits to show them that NIU football is important and has space that rivals its peers, not 7X7 cubicles.
01-08-2004 08:27 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Let me start by saying I really like joe as a coach and he did a great job building this program. But i also happen to think that if he wants a large raise he isn't going to see that. Joe did some great things, but one thing he has never done is go to a bowl or a MAC Championship game. I can't see a school as strapped for cash giving him a large raise without joe producing the money himself with a bowl bid.

That being said if joe leaves what young up and comer wouldn't want to spend a few seasons at NIU? We are probably going to have new offices and whatnot in a few seasons, and these past 2 seasons of recruits are going to end up being great. A very talented young coordinator would probably love to try his hand as a HC here at NIU for a few seasons before he leaves.

I was just saying if joe was to leave, i hope he doesn't, but i don't think that our future is that dim without him.
01-08-2004 09:17 PM
Quote this message in a reply
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Joe does not need his salary tripled, but he needs a raise and they need more money for assistant's salaries. Keep in mind that the head coach's salary needs to be in line with peers when it is time to hire Joe's successor. He's also said publicly that a new FB facility would not be for him as much as it would be for the program. It is imperative for the continuation of the current success and for increasing that success.

As for money - a $750,000 bowl payout would not amount in much bottom-line dollars after a bowl trip and the expenses surrounding it. But there was a significant increase in revenues in 2003 simply by selling many more tickets and all that goes along with it, plus having 7 home games helps. National exposure can't be easily measured in dollars, but it was certainly fantastic this year - better than ever before, and this has resulted in an increase in applications to NIU.
01-09-2004 08:31 AM

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

I disagree 100% with those who think Joe Novak doesn't need a double plus type of raise. Its not so much Joe as its the position of head coach of NIU football. If we don't find a way to start paying our head football coach much better dollars, then our program is destined never to rise. Terry Hoeppinger at Miami was given a major raise. Though I can't verify, it is believed he is now paid north of $300,000. UCF, soon to leave the MAC, signed George O'Leary for $700,000 per season.

Everyone is clamoring for NIU to seize upon the success built the last few years in football. Part of the deal involves paying the money necessary for coaches. Even in the MAC, our football pay scale is not good. Budget crisis or no, NIU must make it a priority to pay Joe Novak close to $300,000 a year. The 59 year old Joe isn't getting any younger and won't be around much longer. NIU needs to start sending the message to the rest of the football world that it can pay a fair sum for a head football coach because the time when we will be in the market for Joe's replacement isn't that long away.
01-09-2004 09:48 AM
Flying Corn Offline
All American

I Root For: "The" N-I-U

I'm sure they're looking at something in the 250-300,000 range for Joe. The real issue is going to be the assistants. It's even more imperative to pay them well given the bleak prospects for the new football facility.

We have to be able to sell new recruits SOMETHING. We don't have the facilities, but we should at least be able to offer them excellent coaches.
01-09-2004 10:09 AM
NIUbro Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Good point made about the salaries at a minimum being on a par with the rest of the MAC. Does anyone know where NIU currently stands relative to salaries for head and assistant coaches? What about budget for football. Is NIU on a par with the MAC there?
01-09-2004 01:35 PM
HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

I Root For: NIU Only

AM PHARMA PTNRS (NasdaqNM:APPX) was over 40 yesterday. If a big donnor was going to contribute, yesterday would have been a good day to commit. I do not see this stock moving much higher in the near term, so maybe it will be a 3 year wait.
01-23-2004 10:45 AM
NIURedBlack Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Is the mystery donor in the Pharmaceutical industry???
01-23-2004 11:22 AM

HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

Just one of a few possibilities. The main character in the Tribune article about NIU Alums coming back to help the University a few months back works for this company. He stated that he was making it his job to see that the facility was built, so I am making an educated guess.
01-23-2004 11:27 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators

HuskieJ Wrote:Just one of a few possibilities.  The main character in the Tribune article about NIU Alums coming back to help the University a few months back works for this company.  He stated that he was making it his job to see that the facility was built, so I am making an educated guess.
Thanks, HuskieJ!! Kudos for keeping on top of things. I forgot about that article!

We may be argumentative, we may be caustic, we may be downright lewd at times, but NO ONE can ever accuse us Huskie fans and members of this board of not being knowlegeable, sharp as tacks, and in the know whenever and wherever the information is! 04-bow
01-23-2004 12:10 PM
HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

I like the market, and I like the Huskies. This time the two crossed.
01-23-2004 01:52 PM
HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

Update stock dropping like arock to $36.85. The wait goes on.
01-23-2004 03:57 PM
pantone1935 Offline
1st String

I Root For: huskies

maybe it is the mystery alum selling his 100,000 shares?
GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
01-23-2004 04:27 PM

HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

HuskieJ Wrote:Update stock dropping like arock to $36.85. The wait goes on.
Did you get my PM?
01-23-2004 04:30 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Whether the potential donor is the exec at American Pharmaceuticals is pure speculation. Maybe a good guess but who knows outside of President Peters, Cary Groth, Joe Novak and Michael Malone.

Lets just keep our fingers cross that $3 million or $4 million is found from the big donor community so this thing gets opened up to all of us within two years for donations. Then we can all worry about when a shovel will actually go in the ground. Best guess still remains 3-5 years.
01-23-2004 04:32 PM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

HuskieJ Wrote:Update stock dropping like arock to $36.85. The wait goes on.
Didn't take you long to run away from a conversation... :rolleyes:
01-26-2004 01:51 PM
HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

You asked, and I replied. When things are public knowledge in a major newspaper, there is no problem with bringing them to light. Like many others, I get tired of your give without take methods, so you made the Ignored list. You should feel proud. You really do not have conversations with anyone. You state your inflexible positions, tell someone how wrong, not qualified or uninformed they are to comment and move on. I can do without it on a daily basis.
01-26-2004 02:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.