Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Well, That Was A Waste Of Two Hours
Bookmark and Share
DiehardHuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Hard Way

What a game, atleast the throwbacks looked nice. Coach Novak interview at halftime: singing day is next week and spring ball starts March 19th.
01-31-2004 08:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies

DiehardHuskie Wrote:What a game, atleast the throwbacks looked nice. Coach Novak interview at halftime: singing day is next week and spring ball starts March 19th.
Football can't get here fast enough. I went to the Alumni game so I wasted a whole Saturday. At least the Connies pizza was good. :rolleyes: What ever happened to the pork sandwiches, it doesn't look like they have it anymore. They seem to have cut out the good stuff and went with the cheap easy junk. :(
01-31-2004 09:09 PM
Flying Corn Offline
All American

I Root For: "The" N-I-U

The throwbacks did look nice.
At least it looked like they were TRYING in the first half... :rolleyes: For a few minutes there, I thought McKinney, Hughes and Paulsen were all going to have breakout games.

Nope.03-banghead I have to admit I stopped watching about 3 minutes into the second half.

Our blowout loss at home before a sparse crowd was immediately followed on Fox Sports by another victory for the mighty SIU Salukis before what appeared to be a capacity crowd.

Not good.
02-01-2004 08:46 AM
Lukulos Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

That's ok. Signing day is this week and I'm excited. Brad Hoey in his interview with Joe, said that they will be talking about our recruiting class on this weeks Huskie Sports show on Fox Sports Net. I will definitely be taping it this week, because it's always on during the day while I'm at work. I also can't wait to read the analysis on Vandalay. Let's put hoops behind us, football season is coming! We also may have to put football aside for a bit to discuss our baseball team, which maybe pretty good this year.
02-01-2004 10:31 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

Lukulos Wrote:That's ok. Signing day is this week and I'm excited. Brad Hoey in his interview with Joe, said that they will be talking about our recruiting class on this weeks Huskie Sports show on Fox Sports Net. I will definitely be taping it this week, because it's always on during the day while I'm at work. I also can't wait to read the analysis on Vandalay. Let's put hoops behind us, football season is coming! We also may have to put football aside for a bit to discuss our baseball team, which maybe pretty good this year.
His quick look preview(from Insiders and Rivals lists) puts us third in the conference. Of course that can/will change depending on what actually happens and who actually signs.
02-01-2004 11:45 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

Flying Corn Wrote:The throwbacks did look nice.
At least it looked like they were TRYING in the first half... :rolleyes: For a few minutes there, I thought McKinney, Hughes and Paulsen were all going to have breakout games.

Nope.03-banghead I have to admit I stopped watching about 3 minutes into the second half.

Our blowout loss at home before a sparse crowd was immediately followed on Fox Sports by another victory for the mighty SIU Salukis before what appeared to be a capacity crowd.

Not good.
Well, the attendance was just over 3,500 so it really wasn't THAT bad. I asked on the MAC board hhow it looked on TV and they said it wasn't THAT bad. Go check for yourself. It is under the NIU/Toledo thread.

When/if the MAC loses teams to the 15,000 rule, why not pick up WKU and SIU? That would give us a true rival. I am not exactly sure where BG KY is but I don't think it is all that far from SIU and could also become a good rivalry as well. None of which are too far out of the MAC footprint. The only problem would be how would you know which BG you were talking about if you mention BG? 03-lol
02-01-2004 11:55 AM

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

I think SIU would be open to a move actually. Sure their football team isn't really that good, but i don't think they care. They would have the MAC title in their reach from day 1 in hoops. So to be behind in just one of the 2 big sports isn't that bad of a deal.
02-01-2004 12:08 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

On a side note i'm not sold on our team being that bad next season. Think about it, Mckinney, Hughes and paradise could all be starters next season with paulsen. Then you throw in Tate, Clair, Pancratz, and that other guy from schamburg, and we could have a decent team.

Our starters could in theory be all freshman and sophmores, but that doesn't mean they will be bad. I have faith for next season...
02-01-2004 12:17 PM
NIUFAN84 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I was very impressed by hughes yesterday. I think that he will develope nicely over the next three years. I think smallwood really hurt the team with his turnovers and not being able to hit free throws. I also think that the PG play was just terrible. The bad thing is the PG spot might not improve next year unless Paradise can step it up.
02-01-2004 01:11 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Yea i found it odd that our friend ROB didn't recruit a PG...

If thats a need you'd think we would recruit one.....

Especially since we are so close to chicago...One might have been aviable, Chicago produces decent PG's every year....
02-01-2004 01:14 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

crazywilly Wrote:Yea i found it odd that our friend ROB didn't recruit a PG...

If thats a need you'd think we would recruit one.....

Especially since we are so close to chicago...One might have been aviable, Chicago produces decent PG's every year....
I think we should have looked at Quinten(sp?) Ponius from Boylan in Rockford(for football and/or b-ball).

Some numbers:

Quinten Ponius RB/DB 5-10 174 Boylan Catholic

<a href='http://cf.rrstar.com/sports/prepsports/football/nic9leaders2003.cfm' target='_blank'>Ponius</a> (rushing/recieving yards)

I actually can't find it now(think it was in R. Register Star) but he is a guard that is averaging 18 points a game in b-ball.

I do have to say I don't know anything more about him but numbers athletically. Maybe he doesn't have the grades. I don't know.
02-01-2004 01:45 PM

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Yea its not like there aren't PG's out there for us....

Its just rob seems lost in recruiting at times, all we ever get is SF/SG's and PF's....

NO centers or PG's.
02-01-2004 02:06 PM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Heisman

FC,

I'm glad you mentioned that. The atmosphere between the two games was down right embarrasing. NIU's crowd empty and dull, SIU packed and rocking. SIU's student section put ours to shame. I know we're having an awful year, but when 50 out of 25,000 students show up, you have a problem.
02-01-2004 03:48 PM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Heisman

Another thing, it's amazing that over the past 2 months the incredible excitement and momentum that the success of the football team had created within Huskie Country is COMPLETELY gone. Amazing.
02-01-2004 03:54 PM
TropesNIU Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

uh willy, i believe the salukis were undefeated in the regular season this year in football. that or only 1 loss. prob give most mac teams a run for the money in their first season. bball would be top few. BRING EM IN.
02-01-2004 10:39 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

I think that moving up in football is different than moving laterally in Hoops...

We may just be the MAC, but that still makes almost all of our teams better than SIU. SIU would need a few years to get to be middle rung in football. You have look at factors like, Size, Depth, and Speed. And SIU would be outmatched at first, yes by the lowly MAC.
02-01-2004 11:06 PM

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Those who would criticize the game of Marcus Smallwood, careful. All season long the poor guy has been triple teamed underneath the basketball. His turnovers have been the direct result of his being swarmed and having none of his four teammates on the court be able to bail him out. His free throw shooting is an all together story. It has always been the achilles heel of his game and remains so. He is however, THE one and only high quality player on this roster.

Wasn't at the game, but once again it seems the biggest problem is horrid point guard play. For me, its time to see Michael McKinney be given an extended shot at point. Though his game is more suitable to play two guard, he was a very good ballhandler and adept at being the captain of the offense at Evanston. Anthony Maestranzi needs to sit down, along with his pal Todd Peterson.

03-banghead
02-02-2004 08:47 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators

I have been critical of this team and Coach Illini Guy from day 1. However, at Saturday's game I at least saw some enthusiasm and energy that were sorely missing in the Buffalo game. The Huskies started out on offense and, especially, defense like they really wanted to win the game. Plus, I was pleasantly surprised that Judson kept the substitutions to a minimum. I am now convinced that our woes are due to a complete lack of talent to compete with the big boys in the MAC. Add to this the fact that Judson is not the coach or recruiter we thought he was. We may be better next year, but - as has been previously stated - it will rest solely on the shoulders of the new guys. :(
02-02-2004 09:10 AM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Dog Fan Wrote:I have been critical of this team and Coach Illini Guy from day 1.&nbsp; However, at Saturday's game I at least saw some enthusiasm and energy that were sorely missing in the Buffalo game.&nbsp; The Huskies started out on offense and, especially, defense like they really wanted to win the game.&nbsp; Plus, I was pleasantly surprised that Judson kept the substitutions to a minimum.&nbsp; I am now convinced that our woes are due to a complete lack of talent to compete with the big boys in the MAC.&nbsp; Add to this the fact that Judson is not the coach or recruiter we thought he was.&nbsp; We may be better next year, but - as has been previously stated - it will rest solely on the shoulders of the new guys.&nbsp; :(
Next year is going to be more brutal than this year. No matter how talented they may be, it is simply too much to ask Cy Tate, Zach Pancratz, Frank Clair and Craig Reichel to immediately step in and be solid contributors. Each will have learning curves.

Two more years of Anthony Maestranzi and Todd Peterson and Rome Sanders is a killer. And only having one scholarship to dole out next fall is a real killer.

The Huskie basketball program has not sunk as low as it will sink before hopefully rising to the level of respectability.
02-02-2004 01:04 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Joliet's Jeremy Fears is ranked among the top 10 basketball prospects in the State of Illinois and is widely considered one of the best point guard prospects in the country. He verbally committed to play for, brace yourself, the Ohio Bobcats. Why does one of the best prospects in the state elect to go to Ohio of all places? And if he was going to consider a mid-major program, why didn't he consider NIU? Its not like we don't have a screaming need for a quality point guard to step in immediately. I'm dumbfounded by this signing for multiple reasons, not least of which is that Athens Ohio isn't exactly a hotbed for basketball.

Fears is ranked in the top five in the state, materially higher than Cy Tate (15th), Zach Pancratz (17th), Frank Clair (27th) and Craig Reichel (30th).

The Ohio Bobcats?!?!?!?!?!?

:crying: 03-confused :mad:
02-02-2004 04:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.