Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Nest Year's Home OOC Game
Bookmark and Share
Field Turf Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

I have been informed that the home out of conference game next year will be Southern Illinois on Sept. 11, probably at 3:00 PM.

Joe will be on the radio at halftime of tonights game to discuss the new recruits. And he will have a coaches corner show Thursday in the Blackhawk from 12:15 to 1:00 which will also be on the radio.
02-04-2004 10:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

I honestly don't think our AD or whoever wants to make the schedule gets it.

We don't need to play teams that aren't D1, it doesn't really look good.
02-04-2004 10:38 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators

crazywilly Wrote:I honestly don't think our AD or whoever wants to make the schedule gets it.

We don't need to play teams that aren't D1, it doesn't really look good.
Especially if we lose, and there is a good chance of that against SIU if they haven't been hit with many personnel changes. If you thought Western Illinois was tough, just wait till we face these guys. The Salukis will be very up for this game. This will NOT be an easy game by any stretch of the imagination.
02-04-2004 11:12 AM
Lukulos Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I think those days are over and that we'll wax them! The only way that they'll be in the game is if they pull out all the trick plays, ala Tenn Tech.

We've got some great talent on this team. Have some faith!

Go Huskies!
02-04-2004 11:17 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators

Lukulos Wrote:I think those days are over and that we'll wax them!    The only way that they'll be in the game is if they pull out all the trick plays, ala Tenn Tech. 

We've got some great talent on this team.  Have some faith!

Go Huskies!
No doubt, but I'm from the Lou Holz school of worrying. I'd worry even if we played DePaul in football! 03-lol
02-04-2004 11:55 AM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

While I expect the 2004 campaign to be a semi-rebuilding year, I would fully expect us to trounce Southern Illinois. Maybe to make the Salukis feel better we should also play them in basketball in 2004-05 so they can have the opportunity to beat our brains out in something.
02-04-2004 12:02 PM

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Rebuilding year?

how so?

On offense we lose our Center, RB, and WR(who we have been without before)...

And on D we lose 2 DE's, 1 starter, Grant, and Duffy...Am i missing anyone?

If losing 6 starters is a rebuilding year our program is in sad shape. Heck what is maryland losing 14 or so and they are ranked #8, just ask my assistant! :)
02-04-2004 12:38 PM
NIU27 Offline
Banned

I Root For:

The main point is that we should never play D1AA teams. The MAC is loaded with D1AA talent and below as it is.

This game is a waste and makes our schedule look even more pathetic than it is.
02-04-2004 12:49 PM
Field Turf Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Willy, we lose Drew too, maybe our biggest loss. Our defensive secondary got torched with him last year, just imagine without him.

I think what we lose is a lot of playmakers. Guys who can make a big difference in the outcome. Turner, Fleck and Azar are the big losses.

We should be good, but we need some players to step up as major impact players for us to have an above average year.

CFN has their early rankings on their web site. NIU is ranked 63, Maryland 27 and Iowa State is ranked in the 90's.
02-04-2004 01:03 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Yes, I do think 2004 is a semi-rebuilding year. To me its very difficult to lose a marquee talent like Michael Turner and not expect to feel it the next year. Turner was a special player. His simple presence on the field made Josh Haldi and our passing game better. We are not yet at the stage of a program like Miami (FL) or Michigan or USC where we have a constant pipeline of mega-talented skill positioned players. AJ Harris and the others will do fine, but it is a stretch to say they will have the overal impact of Turner.

On defense the Huskies are losing a couple of vital senior components to the machine. Can they be replaced and will the defense steadily upgrade the next few years? Yes, I think so. But again it is a stretch to think we won't feel some pain on defense in 2004, particularly with a new defensive coordinator calling the shots.

I think a 7-4 record is reasonable expectation in 2004. Whether our conference record will be good enough to gain a bowl bid only time will tell.
02-04-2004 01:26 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

If we have to be in a 'rebuilding' mode, after losing under 10 total starters its a shame. That speaks volumes of the classes NOVAK has had, thats saying they aren't as good as the younger guys.

So if novak did recruit bad players, then fine i agree, but he should have players ready to step in. If our secondary got lit up with drew how good was he really? I mean, he did get burned himself, did we overate him or was it something else?

The point is maybe they guys we are losing had something to do with our problems as well, its a team game.
02-04-2004 02:23 PM

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

"We are not yet at the stage of a program like Miami (FL) or Michigan or USC where we have a constant pipeline of mega-talented skill positioned players"

Hey alum good thing we aren't in their conferences either!!!
The MAC isn't in the same boat as those guys, we aren't a good conference up and down.

7-4?

Thats a poor outlook. If thats what we end up being do we even have a decent program anyways? What did novak build, he build one good team, he has to build more than one to be a good coach. AKRON was 7-5 or 8-4 last year, so if we are 7-4 something has to be changed.
02-04-2004 02:27 PM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

We lose Ghilani, Turner, Fleck, Perry, Azar, Cooksey, Frank, Reynolds, Duffy, Drew & Grant - excellent players, only 3 or which did not receive any all-conference accolades that I recall (but not because they didn't contribute). But I fully believe that we'll fill those spots adequately, with Duffy, Azar and Reynolds being my top three spots of concern in order (we have good LBs, but which one will step up to Duffy's level is the question).

I love Michael Turner, but I think Michael had a tendency to rely on his speed to try to bounce things outside sometimes. The way I saw AJ Harris hitting holes towards the end of the season has me believing wholeheartedly that our running game will be just fine - we're deeper than ever there. Remember when we lost Ivory Bryant and William Andrews (a 1,000 yd rusher)? Thomas Hammock stepped up. Thomas went down, and Michael broke on the scene. The next guys in line will do the same.

We'll have a new Dcoordinator, but it's a veteran defensive coach not a youngster with his first shot at coordinating (where you might expect a steep learning curve). I've heard that the guy filling the coaching spot left by Shaffer also has a bunch of good experience, especially passing game D coordination. I'm sure several people here will be glad to hear that!

I don't believe we'll see a significant step back if any. The difference may be that everything was primed for that Maryland game last year, and it'll be harder to pull it off in College Park. But I expect to compete for the MAC West again.
02-04-2004 02:30 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

We have to win one of Toledo or BGSU here at home...

If we don't its the same story every year,one or both of these guys keep us out of bowls.

BTW
I think Holman, West, and Sykes are going to be pretty good DE's, i say we give them a chance...
02-04-2004 02:36 PM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Don't forget about Travis Moore at DE - he was all-MAC in 2002. I don't know much about Sykes, but Charnzie Carey could be in that mix also.
02-04-2004 03:15 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

I thought carey was an OLB now...
02-04-2004 03:19 PM

HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

I Root For: NIU Only

You will need to beat UT and BGSU at home to have a shot at the bowl. You can be 6-2 with a loss to either of those teams and like your chances. 6-2 with a win over each could get it done. Forget the Top 25 & the BCS crap, let's finally win the West next year outright.
02-04-2004 03:27 PM
North Side Huskie Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

While I partially agree with you that we should avoid 1-AA games in the future, the program has few options right now. Choosing SIU or ISU vs. playing LA Tech at home is a good choice.

Stop dreaming about BCS teams lining up to play at Huskie Stadium. We can't afford to schedule 2 for 1's with the new scheduling requirements coming into play for the 2006 season. Our options were limited for the 2004 season.

Many on this board including myself complain about the pace of advancement of the university and their athletic programs. The number #1 factor holding NIU back is $$$! See the recent planned budget allocations for 2005 and you will see what I mean. Why choose SIU or ISU? My main factors include: Television, attendance, exposure and building university stature.

Television is the #1 piece of the puzzle to promoting Huskie football. Do you think ESPN or Fox want to show LA Tech vs. NIU? Yuck! But getting on Fox Sports by playing SIU or ISU is a done deal. Good marque match-up that promises ratings.

Attendance - LA Tech would be lucky to bring 100 people to Huskie stadium. SIU will probably bring 5000 paying fans. Not to mention this game can help you sell season ticket packages. ISU has the potential to bring more fans if they are considered to be a strong team. I don't have my stat book handy, but the last time ISU visited I think the crowd attendance was 7-8K above normal attendance for that year. Except for the right BCS oppenent, what other team is going to bring in the people?

Exposure & university rep - See Attendance and Television. I'm sure we all know a few people who went to SIU or ISU. Winning on the football field really means nothing, but a lot of people place value on college football and equate victory on the gridiron to being a better school. I love blowing my brother crap about ISU losing 52-0 and the great playbook scandal.

FYI.. Before anybody asks, the 5 game 1-A attendance requirement has been relaxed for this season and next. Fall 2006 starts the requirements.
02-04-2004 05:02 PM
TropesNIU Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

u guys think we'll destroy the salukis? you guys are gonna be in for a surprise. the salukis were undefeated in the regular season last year i believe. this is gonna be another southern. im thinkin we win somethin lik 24-21, with ANDRE BROWN LEADING THE WAY.
02-04-2004 06:52 PM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Hard Way

Oh boy, here we go....... 03-lol
02-04-2004 10:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.