Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Lowe's Looking at DeKalb
Bookmark and Share
NIURedBlack Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies

<a href='http://dekalb-chronicle.com/articles/2004/02/25/news/news01.txt' target='_blank'>http://dekalb-chronicle.com/articles/2004/...news/news01.txt</a>

Lowe's is company looking at Park 88
Factory and warehouse could bring as many as 700 jobs
By Chris Rickert - City Editor

DeKALB - DeKalb City Manager Mark Biernacki confirmed a report this morning in a Rockford newspaper naming Lowe's home improvement as the company considering DeKalb for a 1.3-million-square-foot warehouse.

The Rockford Register Star also reported that as part of the warehouse project, Lowe's intends to open a factory to make products such as molding and trim for homes. Lowe's spokeswoman Jennifer Smith said this morning that the company does not run its own factories but does contract with vendors to make projects specifically for the home-improvement giant.

All told, the factory and warehouse together could employ as many as 700 people. Wages at the warehouse could range between $11 and $14 an hour.

Rockford, Beloit, Wis., and Janesville, Wis., are the other communities in the running for the warehouse. Should the company choose DeKalb, it would become the first tenant in the Park 88 industrial park at Seventh Street and Fairview Drive. Biernacki said it's his understanding that the factory also would be located at Park 88.

Local city, county and economic development officials have been wooing Lowe's for months with a five-year tax-abatement incentive package that would excuse the company from paying 90 percent of its property taxes in its first year of operation, 80 percent in its second, and so on until year five, after which the company would be assessed in full.

The DeKalb School District - which receives about 60 percent of property taxes paid in its service area - signed onto the incentives package last week.

Even with the tax break, area taxing bodies ostensibly would be making money on the project, as Park 88 is now no more than an empty building surrounded by farmland and development would significantly increase its value.

A representative of Park 88, Mark Goode, said last month that the school district would make about $100,000 in property taxes on the warehouse development alone in its second year of operation. Taxes on the warehouse after the tax breaks expire would be about $600,000 annually, he said.

Biernacki said the DeKalb incentives package includes other perks in addition to the property tax breaks, including ones that might be offered by the state, but he declined to be more specific.

The other communities trying to attract the Lowe's project also have offered the company their own packages of incentives, Biernacki said.

Biernacki said that city officials remain optimistic about their chances for luring the development and that he expected the company to make a decision in a week to 10 days.

To this point, "they have not indicated where they might want to go," he said.

Lowe's is the second largest home-improvement retailer in the United States after Home Depot. It had fiscal year 2003 sales of $30.8 billion, according to the Mooresville, N.C.-based company's Web site.

On Monday, the company reported earnings of $407 million in the quarter ending Jan. 30, or 27.6 percent more than in the same period a year ago.

Smith declined to comment this morning on the company's plans to open any specific facility anywhere in the United States, so she could not comment on when a decision about a potential DeKalb facility would be made.

In terms of the wages Lowe's pays, she said, "as a company, we pay wages that are in line with the marketplace."
02-26-2004 10:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

NIURedBlack Offline
Heisman

600 new jobs would be great for the community. I bet we could pull some donor $$ our way as well.
02-26-2004 10:16 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators

NIURedBlack Wrote:600 new jobs would be great for the community. I bet we could pull some donor $$ our way as well.
It would be wonderful getting them as a Huskie sponsor. I sure hope the Athletics Dept. works on this! 04-rock
02-26-2004 10:52 AM

Lukulos Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

There you go RobertN
02-26-2004 03:02 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies

Lukulos Wrote:There you go RobertN
03-lol I actually do have a job now and am praying I get a career job soon from one of the 6 positions that have opened recently. The 2 of most interest are in Cinci and Denver.
02-26-2004 09:15 PM

Huskiebandwagon Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

NIURedBlack Wrote:600 new jobs would be great for the community. I bet we could pull some donor $$ our way as well.
Only if you make alot of noise, weigh 2000 lbs., and only turn left. 04-drinky
02-26-2004 10:15 PM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Huskiebandwagon Wrote:
What does Tom Amstutz have to do with anything? 03-razz
02-27-2004 08:47 AM

cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

I kinda get a kick outta Toledo Tom. He is a cartoon chracter come to life - a Homer Simpson. You cannopt agrue against his success. His offense gives some D coordinators sleepless nites. Apparently we have not figured out how to stop the short passing game without also giving up huge runs and big pass plays.
02-27-2004 11:18 AM
Huskiebandwagon Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Huskiebandwagon Wrote:
Forgot to include everyone on the team would have to wear #48! 03-puke
02-27-2004 08:18 PM

cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

A frightening scene and awkward moment along the sidelines
@ next season's Seattle Sutton's.com bowl:

UT vrs. Maryland
03-01-2004 12:29 PM
skiesix Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I hope Dekalb gets Lowes but I still find it amazing that cities have to pay incentives to these billion dollar corporations so they will come in and make millions more for their coffers. Our cities and towns and states are beggars on their knees to these monsters.
03-01-2004 05:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.