Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Ugly Truth
Bookmark and Share
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

In all the excitement generated on this board around Groth's apparent leaving, people apparently want to glance over the huge current problems with our athletic department and have convinced themselves that a new AD will make everything all better. BULL.

Ask yourself why is it that Cary Groth and Rob Judson can't wait to get out of Dodge. In the case of Groth, we are talking about a quality professional with long-term ties to DeKalb who has a solid working relationship with the administration, NIU President Peters, and the coaches of the major sporting teams (to include Novak and Judson).

The best thing NIU has going for itself is Joe Novak's chronological age. If not for him approaching age 60, he would have been long gone too and the NIU football program would be back to square one.

There are reasons we lose our AD, boatloads of quality assistants, and can't get a football facility built. And 99% on the board are in complete denial of these facts. I'm not trying to be antagonistic here. I'm simply trying to channel the debate to the direction it should be going but nobody dare wants it to go.
03-08-2004 06:32 PM
Quote this message in a reply

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

I'm new to this board, and not to NIU athletics, but judson to me is a joke. That man has his team that gave up on him.

Groth didn't do anything for NIU, she built a convo center, that while a lot of fun to go to, Even more fun if we put up some W's, wasn't paid for by many donations, If i recall isn't it the students who pay for it?

So lets talk about quality, I don't think Groth or Judson are Quality, and Joe sure as heck wasn't when he first showed up. And I love joe, hes great for NIU and has the attitude all of us look for in a coach, but he hasn't won a MAC title, or a bowl game birth so lets look at facts. Our teams don't win, they don't go to the post season, they don't earn money from alum because of that.

So the truth is sir our teams don't win. Our teams don't earn money because of poor investments and leadership. Blame who you want, Groth, judson, even Novak but there were poor choices made. Why didn't groth put us in position when the conference shake up was going on to join CUSA? I know they aren't a step up in terms of competition, but in terms of TV and money they are. Groth dropped the ball because the way i hear it isn't there going to be an attendance rule as of 2006? I read somewhere the MAC stood as of right now to lose 7 schools. Is that where we want to be?

This administration has been marred in bad choices, that sir is why we are not in better shape. I agree its about money too, but had Groth done a job at earning some for the school we wouldn't be in this position.
03-08-2004 07:51 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies

niu85alum Wrote:In all the excitement generated on this board around Groth's apparent leaving, people apparently want to glance over the huge current problems with our athletic department and have convinced themselves that a new AD will make everything all better. BULL.

Ask yourself why is it that Cary Groth and Rob Judson can't wait to get out of Dodge. In the case of Groth, we are talking about a quality professional with long-term ties to DeKalb who has a solid working relationship with the administration, NIU President Peters, and the coaches of the major sporting teams (to include Novak and Judson).

The best thing NIU has going for itself is Joe Novak's chronological age. If not for him approaching age 60, he would have been long gone too and the NIU football program would be back to square one.

There are reasons we lose our AD, boatloads of quality assistants, and can't get a football facility built. And 99% on the board are in complete denial of these facts. I'm not trying to be antagonistic here. I'm simply trying to channel the debate to the direction it should be going but nobody dare wants it to go.
This could very well be a major reason. I think this section from an article on the Nevada site probably says it all.

He cited the acquisition of the Bishop Manogue High School property in 2003, which
03-08-2004 08:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

I Root For: NIU Only

The real truth is that one of the reasons Judson wanted to leave so quickly was the former AD. Let's hope he turns it around next year.
03-09-2004 07:51 AM
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Count me as part of the 1% rather than the 99% who may falsely believe that a new AD can make everything right and better......
Thye probelms/challenges are much more fundamental than the one person at top of the heap.

AGAIN: I'm neither necessarily thrilled nor disappointed in Cary' s decision and leave all the second guessing to others regarding factors leading to it.

I wish her well and thank he for years of dedicated service to NIU-including the good, bad and ugly.
03-09-2004 11:23 AM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Here is the thing, people just didn't like carey. And that is a big deal guys, if you don't like someone no way in hell you will go out of your way to give them money.

So lets say our NEW AD isn't a money raiser either but people like him. If that is the case this new AD will be able to raise the funds because I'm sure more alum will give money to the project. Maybe carey was the thing that was holding our 'big donor' back. I'm not saying she was, but its possible.
03-09-2004 11:42 AM

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

By the way guys I don't know if you have heard this or not, but supposedly there is a 'big donor' out there who may help our football facility project. I don't know if its true or not but thats what some fellow alum out here say. Stay Tuned.
03-09-2004 11:44 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators

NIUGAMBLER Wrote:By the way guys I don't know if you have heard this or not, but supposedly there is a 'big donor' out there who may help our football facility project.  I don't know if its true or not but thats what some fellow alum out here say.  Stay Tuned.
We have been hearing this for well over a year. Is there someone new besides Mr. Pharmaceuticals? Why is the West all of a sudden the hotbed for NIU scoops? Could it be that imaginations run more vivid in the dry heat?
03-09-2004 11:50 AM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Its the heat or people out here like to talk...

From moving to the west i have learned that out here if you hear something, you have to hear it 5 times before you can deem it the truth. But sometimes these people are right. I hope this one is too!
03-09-2004 11:53 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

NIUGAMBLER Wrote:Its the heat or people out here like to talk...

From moving to the west i have learned that out here if you hear something, you have to hear it 5 times before you can deem it the truth. But sometimes these people are right. I hope this one is too!
Justin McCareins Hall. Sounds good to me. :bluethumb:
03-09-2004 12:38 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

[quote="Dog Fan"] [quote="NIUGAMBLER"]By the way guys I don't know if you have heard this or not, but supposedly there is a 'big donor' out there who may help our football facility project.
03-09-2004 12:58 PM

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

[quote="niu85alum"] [quote="Dog Fan"] [quote="NIUGAMBLER"]By the way guys I don't know if you have heard this or not, but supposedly there is a 'big donor' out there who may help our football facility project.
03-09-2004 01:37 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Gambler:

Plans are already drawn up for the new football facility as everyone on this board who isn't new already knows. The facility on the drawing tables includes offices, workout facilities, lockerroom facilities and meeting rooms. It does not include an indoor practice facility. The facility would be built on the vacant land directly adjacent to the north end of Huskie Stadium. The south wall of the new two-story facility would form the north "wall" of Huskie Stadium. The south wall area provides enclosed open space to set up roughly 200 chairs for VIP's and the like to watch Huskie games from a pleasant indoor setting (sort of a poor man's luxury box if you will). No additional seating for Huskie Stadium itself is included in the project.

The estimated pricetag for this project is roughly $6-8 million. The prediction for when the project might actually come to "announceable fruition" is 18-24 months, pending of course efforts to secure roughly $4 million or so "big donor" money. The model being applied to get this facility built is the same one currently in use for the Barsema Alumni and Visitor Center project, namely start with the giant fish, work your way to the big fish (current stage of the AVC project -- see the latest edition of Northern Now), and then open it up to the general alumni and donor community at large.

Alum
03-09-2004 02:12 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Alum I think you are confused. I realize that plans are in place, but these plans are not going to fulfill all we need, and soon a new project will have to be drawn up once this is completed. Once again you claim you are incharge of many people, so I would think that a business man of the power that you have would realize that its not a good idea to build something that will soon require you to add on to it as soon as the ribbon is cut.

I realize your a great business man and must have just failed to post that too. Sometimes we all forget such things, with a mind as great as yours seems to be for business we can let that slide. Can you please bless the board with more knowledge? 03-puke
03-09-2004 03:07 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

[quote="NIUGAMBLER"] Alum I think you are confused.
03-09-2004 03:18 PM
NYHusky Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

NIUGAMBLER Wrote:I realize your a great business man and must have just failed to post that too. Sometimes we all forget such things, with a mind as great as yours seems to be for business we can let that slide. Can you please bless the board with more knowledge? 03-puke
LMAO NIUGAMBLER 04-bow

I wish you had won your bet. Good luck at picking them in the NCAA tourney!
03-09-2004 03:23 PM

RobertN Offline
Legend

NIUGAMBLER Wrote:Alum I think you are confused.  I realize that plans are in place, but these plans are not going to fulfill all we need, and soon a new project will have to be drawn up once this is completed.  Once again you claim you are incharge of many people, so I would think that a business man of the power that you have would realize that its not a good idea to build something that will soon require you to add on to it as soon as the ribbon is cut.

I realize your a great business man and must have just failed to post that too.  Sometimes we all forget such things, with a mind as great as yours seems to be for business we can let that slide.  Can you please bless the board with more knowledge?  03-puke
Personally, I think it has to(and should be) done in portions because of the lack of finacial support among the alumni. I think we can do a better job of fundraising(and shouldn't wait for the whales to donate before the guppies) but I don't think a single $15 million project would ever get off the gound here until the Convo Center is paid off. If we go 1 at a time, it could be BUILT in 2-3 years if they would just open it up(around 2 for the fund raising and 1 for building). I understand the reasoning you state and it would make sense for many schools but we don't have the support finacially right now for it all. Oh and no, I am not a business major. My job(which I am in between right now) is not high paying but it is a very important job(no, I am not a garbageman). :)

BTW, I think I know who you are(not personally but looking through Northern Now). I could be wrong though.
03-09-2004 03:30 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Robert I hear what you are saying but here is something that i feel you must realize, 5 small projects will cost more and not be as effective as 1 big one. Take the extra time to do it right.

And no alum we don't need to battle nebraska, I think thats where you are having some major issues, we don't compete with anyone but ourslevs in these projects. We want to improve ourselvs to the point where we become profitable, so a project that costs maybe 10 or 12 million may take an extra year or 2, but it won't need improving or more funding as soon as we build it. Thats something that will earn more donors, No way do i want to give a large amount of money to a project, that when finished, will need more money from me.

I know once again you are a great business man, but as a business man you have to realize that building something just to make improvements on it is bad business.
03-09-2004 03:37 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

NYHusky Wrote:
NIUGAMBLER Wrote:I realize your a great business man and must have just failed to post that too.  Sometimes we all forget such things, with a mind as great as yours seems to be for business we can let that slide.  Can you please bless the board with more knowledge?  03-puke
LMAO NIUGAMBLER 04-bow

I wish you had won your bet. Good luck at picking them in the NCAA tourney!
Out here on the West Coast they have some Huge NCAA pools. The one i'm entering in has $5,000 entry fee!!!!!!!!

Pot is over $150,000, should be an exciting year especially with the brackets. There are about 9 or 10 teams who I could honestly see puting in the final 4.

A solid team like Pitt will probably win because no one ever puts money on a solid team.
03-09-2004 03:47 PM
NYHusky Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

[quote="NIUGAMBLER"] [quote="NYHusky"] [quote="NIUGAMBLER"]

I realize your a great business man and must have just failed to post that too.
03-09-2004 04:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.