Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

knotted (SID) shorts
Bookmark and Share
dawgs gone wild Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I always get a kick outta Korcek in print or live when he's promoting NIU...as in todays trib article about some ncaa "progressives" seeking to change all media guides from print into only electronic form....Mike got in a good shot about UCF playing a mint to Oleary while NIU tosses around nickels like sewer covers....

Perhaps he has found a fresh breathe of freedom without Cary behind his backside,,,..
03-30-2004 04:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DiehardHuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Hard Way

Agreed. Very amusing. Gotta love the picture of LeShon, too.
03-31-2004 01:51 PM
huskieconfusion Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

there is nothing all that amusing about korcek. i'm sure he is well respected by media types, but he can be a huge ****** ... and for no reason. as far as someone being in an Assistant AD position regarding public relations (sports info), he is a loose cannon.
03-31-2004 05:38 PM
notsofast Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

huskieconfusion Wrote:there is nothing all that amusing about korcek. i'm sure he is well respected by media types, but he can be a huge ****** ... and for no reason. as far as someone being in an Assistant AD position regarding public relations (sports info), he is a loose cannon.
Contrary to public belief, and most fans, the job of Korcek and the SID staff is NOT to serve the fans. His job, and he will tell you this 1,000 times, is to serve the media first, second, and third. Thats why many places call the SID people, "media relations".

I dont know a media person who doesnt respect, like, or appreciate Mike Korcek. Is he opinionated? Sure. Does he do some questionable things sometimes? Sure. Is he behind the times? Sure. However, does he do a great job? Sure. Is he a great writer? Sure. Does he care about NIU? Probably more than all the people on this board combined.

In today's "bulletin point" society its still refreshing to read Mike's game notes, releases, etc. He actually WRITES something which most people do not. I guarantee you this, you read some of his football game notes and you will learn something you didn't know before.

Again, the guy aint perfect, but hes a great representative of the University.
04-04-2004 02:40 PM
tardog6 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

notsofast,
I'm going to have to disagree with you on one point. It is the job of every athletics administrator (moreso if you are in the spotlight..like Mike is) to be an ambassador for the program whether dealing with the media or the public-at-large. I think that is what Mike doesn't understand.
How is he a great representative of the University if he does not work well with the public and local community? Oh, he only works well with the people he has to work well with (the media).
Sounds like a good representative to me.
03-banghead
04-05-2004 08:36 AM
Advertisement

notsofast Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

tardog6 Wrote:notsofast,
I'm going to have to disagree with you on one point. It is the job of every athletics administrator (moreso if you are in the spotlight..like Mike is) to be an ambassador for the program whether dealing with the media or the public-at-large. I think that is what Mike doesn't understand.
How is he a great representative of the University if he does not work well with the public and local community? Oh, he only works well with the people he has to work well with (the media).
03-banghead
I never said he DIDNT work well with the public or the community. Its just not his first priority. He gets paid to be a liasion with the media. The other stuff is secondary. Obviously its all related in the long run. But its not the specific duties of the job.
04-05-2004 10:49 AM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

notsofast Wrote:
tardog6 Wrote:notsofast,
I'm going to have to disagree with you on one point.  It is the job of every athletics administrator (moreso if you are in the spotlight..like Mike is) to be an ambassador for the program whether dealing with the media or the public-at-large.  I think that is what Mike doesn't understand.
How is he a great representative of the University if he does not work well with the public and local community?  Oh, he only works well with the people he has to work well with (the media).
03-banghead
I never said he DIDNT work well with the public or the community. Its just not his first priority. He gets paid to be a liasion with the media. The other stuff is secondary. Obviously its all related in the long run. But its not the specific duties of the job.
Mike is the Sports Information Director. His main job is media relations, not fan relations.

I'm not sure what he's not done well, but it does sound like it is outside of the main responsibilities of his current job. Sure, all employees could be viewed as representatives of the university, just like students and student athletes are. But he's not paid to get information to fans or to be a salesman for NIU. He's paid to give info and do it in a way that makes NIU look as good as possible.
04-05-2004 12:48 PM
dawgs gone wild Offline
1st String

I Root For:

...and IMO...he does a dang nabit great job of it.
04-05-2004 03:56 PM
huskieconfusion Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

you poor saps are so misled. yeah, he does a decent job with the media ... but in any other aspect of ATHELTICS ADMINISTRATION ... which, mind you, he is supposed to be heavily involved in ... he sucks. plain and simple. he has 0 people skills with those other than writers. yes, he was hired to relate to the media ... but only the true successful people can relate to everyone. he is a bitter, bitter man who likes to complain about his job.

and i do mean a decent job. there are many others who would come in there and make that office 100% better.
04-06-2004 12:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2020 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.