Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Shur Named Interem AD
Bookmark and Share
NIURedBlack Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies

<a href='http://www.niu.edu/PubAffairs/RELEASES/2004/april/interimAD.shtml' target='_blank'>http://www.niu.edu/PubAffairs/RELEASES/200...interimAD.shtml</a>
04-01-2004 09:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators

NIURedBlack Wrote:<a href='http://www.niu.edu/PubAffairs/RELEASES/2004/april/interimAD.shtml' target='_blank'>http://www.niu.edu/PubAffairs/RELEASES/200...interimAD.shtml</a>
What the hell! Is this an April Fool's Day joke? An attorney as Interim AD? :rolllol: Give me a break! Maybe he can defend any players in trouble! Maybe if I increase my donations, he'll get me out of a ticket! Oh, oh...if we don't watch what we say on this board, we may get sued!

Will any major decisions be made before July? Seeing how things usually go, will we really have a new AD by July?
04-02-2004 08:41 AM
niu79 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU

Looks like the University has hired a search firm to find candidates. I would expect them to bring very good candidates to interview. No reason why the position can't be filled by the July 1 date set by Peters.
04-02-2004 10:31 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Legend

I Root For: any UT opponent

Why not promote Korcek from Assistant AD to AD? Any thoughts on that? At least you would know any move Korcek would make would have the best interest of NIU athletics in mind, he has more love and pride of NIU athletics than anyone.
04-02-2004 11:25 AM
Advertisement

HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

I Root For: NIU Only

It is just me or is there a big difference between writing some witty prose and managing 10-15m in budgets, raising external, funds, hiring and firing coaches, and managing a staff of about 100 people in total.
04-02-2004 11:28 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Legend

I Root For: any UT opponent

HuskieJ Wrote:It is just me or is there a big difference between writing some witty prose and managing 10-15m in budgets, raising external, funds, hiring and firing coaches, and managing a staff of about 100 people in total.
I dont think its rocket-science to say the least! :)
04-02-2004 11:29 AM
huskieconfusion Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

madddawgz ... you are a funny guy. seriously. i got a good laugh out of the korcek idea. you think that guy can run an athletic department? if so, i pray for all those underneath him. the guy certinaly is FAR from personable. would he have the best interest of NIU? sure. any alum would. but why not find an alum who knows how to 1) raise money, 2) communicate with others, 3) isn't bitter and 4) has the respect of his co-workers ...

find someone like that first.
04-02-2004 11:36 AM
Advertisement

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

huskieconfusion Wrote:madddawgz ... you are a funny guy. seriously. i got a good laugh out of the korcek idea. you think that guy can run an athletic department? if so, i pray for all those underneath him. the guy certinaly is FAR from personable. would he have the best interest of NIU? sure. any alum would. but why not find an alum who knows how to 1) raise money, 2) communicate with others, 3) isn't bitter and 4) has the respect of his co-workers ...

find someone like that first.
I'd like to see us go the direction that many major league baseball teams have gone in terms of general managers, bring in guys with degrees in ECON. Its about money, and a struggling MLB managed to pull it self out a bit when a lot of teams made the switch to guys who know money.

This is just a thought, but I think it would help NIU a lot.
04-02-2004 12:09 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Field Turf Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Korcek would suck as AD. He doesn't want to do anything other then what's in his specific job description. Plus, I have heard from other internal sources that he would be fired at any institution other than NIU. He is living off his past laurels and is coasting. Check out his weekly football releases. How much of those 4 pages is actually new? maybe half a page? "For you minutiea buffs....." How many time times do we need to read that? We need someone who would be creative as an AD, who would find new ways to accomplish NIU's athletic goals. Korcek, would not be that guy.

We need to bring in someone from the outside, with a new approach to doing things.
04-02-2004 12:16 PM
niustat83 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

You guys shouldn't comment about someone you don't know. Shur is one of the most intellegent men you'll ever meet. He was General Counsel here at NIU for a long time, and has been retired for about a year or two. He's always been a faithful supporter of NIU athletics, I've seen him at almost every home game since I've started coming here. And while he may not have any experience as AD, he isn't going to do anything bad for NIU. Plus, it's not like he's going to be in this position all that long. All in all, I think this is a good hire for now.
04-02-2004 12:32 PM
Advertisement

dawgs gone wild Offline
1st String

I Root For:

July 1 is a faster track than I mite have imagined.

Doubting Shur as interim is silly. How much time would any interim
have to devote to this component of a temp position?

A blurb I though of some interest in trib was why was it necessary to encourage Collins to apply? Isn't that a normal, reasonable expectation? Why would he not toss l his hat be in the ring?

I'm not promoting nor downgrading his candidacy but found it odd he needed to be asked according to the source.
Shur hit an ol;d nail o0f mine squarely on its head. NIU has run such a righteous atheletic program no wonder we are oftentimes at a competitive disadvantage . Im NOT promotinjg widespread abuses but do you think in the cuthroat world of business or comeptive athletics corners aren't cut everyday to make things happen?

While I fully object to Hornung's racial smear, I think he is right about academic requirements just as is case at NU etc.
04-02-2004 01:28 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies

niustat83 Wrote:You guys shouldn't comment about someone you don't know. Shur is one of the most intellegent men you'll ever meet. He was General Counsel here at NIU for a long time, and has been retired for about a year or two. He's always been a faithful supporter of NIU athletics, I've seen him at almost every home game since I've started coming here. And while he may not have any experience as AD, he isn't going to do anything bad for NIU. Plus, it's not like he's going to be in this position all that long. All in all, I think this is a good hire for now.
Yes, and he is an expert on Title IX and has little no experience in handling the Department. Sounds like we just hired Cary back. :rolleyes: :rofl:
04-02-2004 05:36 PM
dawgs gone wild Offline
1st String

I Root For:

how does one spell I N T E R I M ? that is correct fer Shur.

Anyone catch reading the glowing words by PJ Fleck for outgoing Groth?

He did NOT have to say it if he did not mean it. Their embrace last Thursday was very genuine.

makes one wonder about perspectives , the big picture and those who criticized her with the loudest and harshest voices compared to just one Huskie who new her work well.
04-05-2004 04:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2020 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.