Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What Maryland fans are saying...
Bookmark and Share
Chiefs8859 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I found this on one of thei message boards...still no respect for NIU

NIU needs to be on their knees praying from today on out that your prediction is correct. Even with a rookie QB and quite a few new holes to fill, the Terps are LOADED. NIU is nowhere near the team they were last year, and the Terps, while young in some spots are MORE talented, and deeper. If you had been to some of the practices like I have, you would be in fear if you were NIU. I have never seen such ferocious hitting and have never seen bigger and stronger players. Maryland is a MUCH better team than NIU with MUCH better players who have a grudge and reason to remember their poor performance last year. I was at the NIU-MD game, and for all of the hoopla, the Terps simply did not play. They had some big attitude problems, but took the opening kickoff and rammed it down NIU's throat, then quit thinking they had the game in the bag. If they had kept up even one quarter of that intensity, they would have won without worry. As is, it took OT and a questionable end zone call for NIU to win on their home field. If you think any of the above happens this year, you are nuts. Fridge will have these guys sky high. The ONLY thing that helps NIU is that many Terps will be young and may make some mistakes. They won't make anywhere near enough for NIU to win. Terps are bigger, faster, stronger, meaner, and pissed. This year, they WON'T fart the game off after the first series.

We should have won at NIU last year, but you are right... that is not the same NIU team as we will see in Byrd. Also, consider that Terps were without Lamar Bryant, Steve Suter, and Bruce Perry for last year's contest, and McBrien and several others (Merriman) probably should NOT have played b/c of injury and NIU is in for a surprise...

<a href='http://maryland.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=165&mid=33981446&sid=&tid=33981446&style=1' target='_blank'>http://maryland.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid...3981446&style=1</a>
04-20-2004 06:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

It's not surprising. It just goes to show how naive their fans are when it comes to football and their newfound success. Bama fans, who've been around winning football for years and years, were extremely gracious and understanding, choosing to realize that we were the more focused team, and Terp fans just can't admit this was the case.

I agree that the Terps were big, strong and hit like a ton of bricks, but I saw McBrien take quite a few hits. They'll be coming in with a young QB after we gave their 5th year senior problems. Our extremely young OL wore them down to the point that a long drive and Michael Turner rammed it down their throat on the way to a game-tying FG - that OL is a year more seasoned and light years better from where they started last season. It's gonna start right there - can we keep them from pushing us around up front on O, and can we open holes up front.

I'm not going to bet the farm on a win in College Park, but if they really believe we'll walk in there scared of the great Terrapin aura :rolleyes:, we'll shock 'em again. If they are truly that focused, they're a more talented team and SHOULD beat us. I suspect we'll find a way to stay within 40 of 'em. 03-lol
04-20-2004 08:54 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies

Chiefs8859 Wrote:I found this on one of thei message boards...still no respect for NIU

NIU needs to be on their knees praying from today on out that your prediction is correct. Even with a rookie QB and quite a few new holes to fill, the Terps are LOADED. NIU is nowhere near the team they were last year, and the Terps, while young in some spots are MORE talented, and deeper. If you had been to some of the practices like I have, you would be in fear if you were NIU. I have never seen such ferocious hitting and have never seen bigger and stronger players. Maryland is a MUCH better team than NIU with MUCH better players who have a grudge and reason to remember their poor performance last year. I was at the NIU-MD game, and for all of the hoopla, the Terps simply did not play. They had some big attitude problems, but took the opening kickoff and rammed it down NIU's throat, then quit thinking they had the game in the bag. If they had kept up even one quarter of that intensity, they would have won without worry. As is, it took OT and a questionable end zone call for NIU to win on their home field. If you think any of the above happens this year, you are nuts. Fridge will have these guys sky high. The ONLY thing that helps NIU is that many Terps will be young and may make some mistakes. They won't make anywhere near enough for NIU to win. Terps are bigger, faster, stronger, meaner, and pissed. This year, they WON'T fart the game off after the first series.

We should have won at NIU last year, but you are right... that is not the same NIU team as we will see in Byrd. Also, consider that Terps were without Lamar Bryant, Steve Suter, and Bruce Perry for last year's contest, and McBrien and several others (Merriman) probably should NOT have played b/c of injury and NIU is in for a surprise...

<a href='http://maryland.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=165&mid=33981446&sid=&tid=33981446&style=1' target='_blank'>http://maryland.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid...3981446&style=1</a>
Wow. I do have to say that they are showing a little more respect than last year though(even in this post), they are at least calling us NIU and not Salukis this year. 03-lol
04-20-2004 09:37 PM
Flying Corn Online
All American

I Root For: "The" N-I-U

Oh brother, what a bunch of claptrap. :rolleyes:

I figure we're probably going to lose this one this time around, but those idiots really honk me off! :mad:
04-20-2004 10:07 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Legend

I Root For: any UT opponent

That is the most verbage I have ever seen to merely say "I think Maryland will beat NIU"

Maybe the thinking is that if he says it to himself enough times, it just might come true one of these years.

Maryland should win, but this Terrapin team is not immune from anyone this year, sure its not the same Huskie team, but it sure as heck is not the same Maryland team.
04-21-2004 01:40 AM
Lukulos Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

It would be nice to knock off Maryland on the road, but I am more concerned about beating BGSU and Toledo at Huskie Stadium this year. Those games are must wins. Isn't it amazing just how far the MAC has come? And that we have a couple of decent rivalries developing?

Forget the Twerps. I want to see the Falcons and Rockets.
04-21-2004 07:58 AM

greenbrier41 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Personally, I like our chances again v. Maryland

-they are young/lost 15 starters
-new QB
-traditionally slow starting team

If we can stick to the formula of last year of hanging with them into the 4th...look out.
04-21-2004 09:26 AM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

True, but it's amazing how getting beat on national television doesn't even register for some people. Bama fans at least know enough about football to know not to spout off about what shoulda/woulda/coulda happened, and just admit they got beat by the better team on a given day.
04-21-2004 09:26 AM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

greenbrier41 Wrote:Personally, I like our chances again v. Maryland

-new QB
-traditionally slow starting team

If we can stick to the formula of last year of hanging with them into the 4th...look out.
Don't forget they lost NFL Probably First Round draft Pick DT...Starks? Sparks? I don't really know the guys name, he was getting pushed around by our Oline so it doesn't really matter. If you can't stop our run with our freshman O line, with an NFL DT, what do they think they are going to do against a better line with a lower quality DT?
04-21-2004 09:54 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Field Turf Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

How much faith can you put in what they say on the Maryland board after one of their posters said before our game with them last year:

"Turner wouldn't even be one of the Top 5 runningbacks in the ACC."

Sports Weekly ranks each position this week as far as the draft goes.

Runningback Rankings:

Michael Turner #6
Bruce Perry #22
04-21-2004 09:56 AM
NIUSAE Offline
All American

I Root For:

"Personally, I like our chances again v. Maryland

-new QB
-traditionally slow starting team"

Greenbrier, I agree with you.

They have big losses in the D-backs and D-line. Those are the two areas that we should be able to have an advantage in matchups ( O v D). From reading their rivals.com page their strength is going to be their offensive line. So once again our D-line becomes key.

Even though we're "lil 'ol NIU" our starters have been in the big games their newcomers haven't.

We take 'em down again.
04-21-2004 10:01 AM

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

HuskieDan Wrote:True, but it's amazing how getting beat on national television doesn't even register for some people. Bama fans at least know enough about football to know not to spout off about what shoulda/woulda/coulda happened, and just admit they got beat by the better team on a given day.
You know why they are probably so pissed, they were the first team knocked off by the mac this year, when it was shocking to be beaten by a MAC team. They probably caught the most heat of any team by other fans, so i'm sure their fans are more pissed than any team that was beaten by the MAC this year.
04-21-2004 10:02 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Field Turf Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

The 2003 hightlight tape shows the SportsCenter lead that night after the Maryland game.

It started, "We were going to start this show talking about Miami (who also played that night), but then a funny thing happened to Maryland"

Later in the show, "..... and the #1 play of the night, Northern Illinois upsetting #15 Maryland..."

When will this idiot who posted that on the Maryland board learn that faster, talented and stronger, doesn't always mean better?

I think early in a season, experience and coaching play a much bigger part in determining outcomes of games.
04-21-2004 10:18 AM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Hard Way

"Fear the turtle." ooooooooooh scary. Coach Joe does not.

I think it's hilarious that they're already lathered up to play us..... it's April! Last year at this time, their season started on September 6th in Tallahassee -- one week after their automatic "W" over the Huskies. Ooops!

Do you guys remember our message board after that game? That was so cool. Lots of Huskie fans from around the country that night.
04-21-2004 11:06 AM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

DiehardHuskie Wrote:Do you guys remember our message board after that game? That was so cool. Lots of Huskie fans from around the country that night.
That was GREAT!! It was flooded and I was up till after 3am just looking through all the posts and watching Sportscenter over, and over, and over, and over, interspersed with watching the last drive and OT over, and over, and over..... 04-rock
04-21-2004 11:21 AM
Badmoonrising Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Our defense played great against Md. but our offense sputtered until the fourth quarter. I think our offense will click better with a three-year starter at QB and a more-experience offensive line.
The defense, I'm a little more worried about. We didn't look too good at the end of the year. If we play defense like that against Md. It could be another Toledo/Bowling Green.
We'll need to score 60 to win.
04-21-2004 07:01 PM

HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Badmoonrising Wrote:Our defense played great against Md. but our offense sputtered until the fourth quarter. I think our offense will click better with a three-year starter at QB and a more-experience offensive line.
The defense, I'm a little more worried about. We didn't look too good at the end of the year. If we play defense like that against Md. It could be another Toledo/Bowling Green.
We'll need to score 60 to win.
The defense was significantly beat up by the late season - Frank, Moore, Lee, Duffy, Grant all missed time, and three have been all-MAC performers.
04-22-2004 09:08 AM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Hard Way

Our guys were stoked and took it right to 'em. Maryland smacked us early, but by the end of the game, we were dominating. The O line controlled that 4th quarter., plain and simple. And frankly, they game never even should have gone to OT. Azar's blocked field goal was more of a fluke than an interception off of a deflection.

Maryland got pantsed on national TV by little ol' Northern Illinois. 03-nutkick
04-22-2004 09:15 AM
Flying Corn Online
All American

I Root For: "The" N-I-U

HuskieDan Wrote:
DiehardHuskie Wrote:Do you guys remember our message board after that game?&nbsp; That was so cool.&nbsp; Lots of Huskie fans from around the country that night.
That was GREAT!! It was flooded and I was up till after 3am just looking through all the posts and watching Sportscenter over, and over, and over, and over, interspersed with watching the last drive and OT over, and over, and over..... 04-rock
It was already the best day of my life, as my son was born early that morning.

Making it to the game on time and watching the most thrilling Huskie victory ever was just icing on the cake. 04-bow 04-bow

I was up until 3am watching the end of the game AND the birth of my son over and over....

No duplicating that this year, but I am looking forward to taking Baby Corn to the SIU game as a belated first birthday present. :D
04-22-2004 09:46 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Legend

I Root For: any UT opponent

The one thing I remember about that Maryland game, is Maryland's second possession of the game. Maryland had just went up 7-0 with a very convincing dominating drive and started the 2nd drive at the Huskies 45 yd line or so. On first down, they had a 7 yard run for a 2nd and 3. Then, inexplicably, Maryland pulls out its deep passing game, after it is dominating NIU on the ground. Well McBrien was sacked on that play and Maryland never regained any offensive momentum. For as much praise at Coach Friedgen gets, he really had a horrible coaching game. Not to take away credit from a stellar NIU performance, but I think Coach Friedgen is somewhat overrated.
04-22-2004 12:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.