I Root For:
Shy Charlotte Bowl now the BEs #2 bowl?
08-17-2010 10:08 AM
Find all posts by this user

WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC
RE: Charlotte Bowl now the BEs #2 bowl?
Interesting. Did the Charlotte Bowl show us the money?
08-17-2010 10:12 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
That's what I'm wondering too. What's the payout with the new sponsor?
08-17-2010 10:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Legend

I Root For: America and UC
Meineke
Date: December 31, 2010
Time: Noon
Stadium: Bank of America Stadium
Payout: $1.6 million per school minimum
Teams: ACC vs. Big East
Title Sponsor: Meineke Car Care Centers
Television: ESPN
08-17-2010 10:30 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
I'm pretty sure what they mean is that they have the #2 pick after the BCS selection. Seems to be the trendy way to say it to make the pick seem better for the hordes of very casual fans who aren't going to read the fine print. For instance the Champs Sports Bowl is going around saying it has the #1 pick of the Big East* and the #2 pick of the ACC*. And the asterisk leads to fine print of after BCS bowl selections.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2010 10:33 AM by brista21.)
08-17-2010 10:32 AM

TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
Not sure what this is
they pick after champs
although this is the last year for meinecke as sponsor
it did move up a spot in acc order from previous contract
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2010 02:13 PM by TIGER-PAUL.)
08-17-2010 02:05 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

That's what I was referring to earlier. Meineke won't be the sponsor next year. Have they found another sponsor? And will that sponsor offer more money and try to make the Charlotte bowl a bigger game. It should be. It's a great location for a match up between the ACC and The BEast...
08-17-2010 02:13 PM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
could be
but I think someone misread it
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2010 02:33 PM by TIGER-PAUL.)
08-17-2010 02:21 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Someone always misreads things. What else is new?
08-17-2010 02:36 PM

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I think what they mean is thy get the 2nd BE choice after BCS.
08-17-2010 02:57 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(08-17-2010 10:32 AM)brista21 Wrote:  I'm pretty sure what they mean is that they have the #2 pick after the BCS selection. Seems to be the trendy way to say it to make the pick seem better for the hordes of very casual fans who aren't going to read the fine print. For instance the Champs Sports Bowl is going around saying it has the #1 pick of the Big East* and the #2 pick of the ACC*. And the asterisk leads to fine print of after BCS bowl selections.

Good insight brista, if i had to bet i'd put my cash on your explanation.
08-17-2010 09:32 PM
thecomet89 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU
I like the Car Care Bowl. Its a great bowl and is moving up to one of the top non BCS bowls in the Nation. I have no problem with our #2 playing in it.
08-20-2010 02:21 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
It means that Charlotte is the #3 bowl, which they always were with the new lineup. The Yankee bowl is the #4 Bowl even though it's a New Year's Bowl.
08-21-2010 09:24 AM

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(08-17-2010 02:13 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  That's what I was referring to earlier. Meineke won't be the sponsor next year. Have they found another sponsor? And will that sponsor offer more money and try to make the Charlotte bowl a bigger game. It should be. It's a great location for a match up between the ACC and The BEast...

Nope, they haven't found another title sponsor yet, and with a boosted payout, that has to be a big concern.

When the payout was $1.2 million per team, Meineke was paying about $1 million per year to be sponsor. Now that the payout is being boosted to approximately $1.7m per team, the new sponsor will have to be willing to pay probably around $1.5m per year to the bowl. Tough to do in a recession.

The reason the payout is increasing is that while the bowl stayed in its #3 Big East position (after BCS and Champs), it moved up the ACC pecking order from #6 to #5, and the ACC did that in exchange for more money.

As a location for a bowl, IMO it just doesn't quite cut it. Sure, Charlotte is a nice area. But obviously, USF fans from Florida have little interest in traveling 500 miles north during January. And for other BE fans, most of you still have to travel several hundred miles, and yet you don't really escape the cold weather.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2010 11:30 AM by quo vadis.)
08-23-2010 11:26 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
I dunno I know Rutgers fans have zero problem with going to Charlotte. Its about 10 to 15 degrees warmer on average down there at that time of year. I know I'd sign up for a 50 degree day for a football game in late December. Since most of my friends are tight on cash last year and this we'd welcome a bowl in Charlotte since its just close enough to drive to.
08-23-2010 01:46 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

quo, bowl representatives didn't setup the system to make it convenient for Bulls fans. If the Bulls want to get good bowl bids, they need to travel to the bowls they are invited to. If they don't, the bids will go to teams that have proven they will travel. It's that simple...

If USF don't like that, tough sh!t...
08-23-2010 02:12 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(08-23-2010 02:12 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  quo, bowl representatives didn't setup the system to make it convenient for Bulls fans. If the Bulls want to get good bowl bids, they need to travel to the bowls they are invited to. If they don't, the bids will go to teams that have proven they will travel. It's that simple...

If USF don't like that, tough sh!t...

What makes you think that Bulls fans believe the bowls should be set up for our convenience? Nothing i said. I stated that Charlotte is kind of 'inconvenient' for all Big East teams (long ways away, but not in a desirable location), except arguably WVU.

Bulls fans are kind of in a bind bowl-wise. Most bowls involve us going north, which nobody wants to do. And if perchance we got a bid to a Florida bowl, well, that's no big deal either because being in Florida is nothing special to us!

About the only really desirable bowl bids for USF from a good road-trip standpoint are the Sugar, Fiesta, and Rose bowls. Those are in fun locations and outside of Florida, not to mention being highly prestigious bowls.

And we know damn well we have to earn our way to those bowls.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2010 08:04 PM by quo vadis.)
08-23-2010 08:03 PM

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

If Bulls fans won't travel to Charlotte, what makes you think they'll travel to New Orleans, Arizona, or California? Before you demand such prestigious bowl destinations, you need to prove that you can bring the fans along. If not, those bowls will NEVER invite USF. They don't have to, even if USF is eligible. The BEast has no BCS bowl tie-in. The only BCS bowl that would invite USF now is the Orange Bowl, and they'd only do that if they had the last pick and had no choice but to take the Bulls...
08-23-2010 08:27 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(08-23-2010 08:27 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  If Bulls fans won't travel to Charlotte, what makes you think they'll travel to New Orleans, Arizona, or California?

That's like saying "if Joe won't show up for Roseanne Barr, what makes you think he'll show up for Angelina Jolie or Jessica Alba"?

Quote: Before you demand such prestigious bowl destinations, you need to prove that you can bring the fans along. If not, those bowls will NEVER invite USF.

Again, who is demanding anything? I'm just telling you what is desirable. We know that as a low-profile program, those bowls will not want to pick us. In that, we're not much different from the rest of the Big East, save possibly for West Virginia.

Thus, we'll have to force them to take us by earning our way in to the BCS.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2010 11:11 PM by quo vadis.)
08-23-2010 11:08 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.