Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIU vs. Minnesota prediction
Bookmark and Share
Nigel Incubator-Jones Offline
All American

I Root For: Ricky Bobby
NIU vs. Minnesota prediction
I don't agree with the so-called "experts" take on this game in that I believe it will be a low scoring affair. This is a "must-win" game for Tim Brewster and Minnesota. The Gophers are bottom feeders in the Big 10 and therefore HAVE to win a few of these games on their OOC schedule if Brewster is to prevent the buzzards from circling his head in only year two of his regime.

I envision the Huskie offense to struggle mightily all season. Chandler Harnish at quarterback is the right call, but lets face it he is very raw, will likely be asked to run a simplified offense and is bound to make loads of mistakes. It doesn't help that our wide receiver corp is a dubious bunch.

Minnesota - 17
NIU - 6
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2008 11:15 AM by Nigel Incubator-Jones.)
08-19-2008 11:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
RE: NIU vs. Minnesota prediction
Minnesota 17
NIU 14

NIU misses a late FG.
08-19-2008 11:12 AM
NIUSOUTH Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
NIU 17
Minn 14

Close at the end.03-phew
08-19-2008 11:29 AM
btowngopher Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: the gophers
Minnesota 30-17. From the way things sound you guys are going to be a run oriented team and might have some hiccups in the passing game. The gopher defense was awful last year, but I like the gophers chances better against a running team then a pass happy one. I think the gophers will still get there points, Weber with a year under his belt at qb will help a lot. A young O-line will have to step up though as well as some young recievers. TDs by WR Decker, a run by Weber, and a run by Bennett.
08-19-2008 11:39 AM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
btowngopher Wrote:Minnesota 30-17. From the way things sound you guys are going to be a run oriented team and might have some hiccups in the passing game. The gopher defense was awful last year, but I like the gophers chances better against a running team then a pass happy one. I think the gophers will still get there points, Weber with a year under his belt at qb will help a lot. A young O-line will have to step up though as well as some young recievers. TDs by WR Decker, a run by Weber, and a run by Bennett.

I think that's a good pick. Even with the players returning from injury when you combine that with a new gameplan, it is going to lead to some NIU growing pains that Minny will be able to take advantage of. This game will be a learning experience for the Huskies, and hopefully, they will get an acurate measure of their capabilities before they have to play WMU the following week.
08-19-2008 12:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
philhelm Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU, UIUC
Gophers 19, Huskies 13, OT. A pick by Harnish, Minnesota returns it for a TD.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2008 12:48 PM by philhelm.)
08-19-2008 12:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

niuco90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: N.I.U.
Minn 30
NIU 6
08-19-2008 01:28 PM
NIURedBlack Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
21-7 Goophers
08-19-2008 01:55 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
Minnesota 38, NIU - 10
08-19-2008 03:10 PM
NIUtrav09 Offline
Huskies and Illini. Get over it!

I Root For: NIU and U of I
Gophers 24
Huskies 7

This game will be closer than the score indicates. Minnesota pulls away in the 4th quarter. NIU's offense struggles.

Any other year, we rape these guys. But first game with a new coach, a new system, and a new QB....
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2008 03:42 PM by NIUtrav09.)
08-19-2008 03:41 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
NIU - 24

Minnesota - 17
08-19-2008 03:46 PM
Advertisement

theair Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bears
Nigel Incubator-Jones Wrote:I don't agree with the so-called "experts" take on this game in that I believe it will be a low scoring affair. This is a "must-win" game for Tim Brewster and Minnesota. The Gophers are bottom feeders in the Big 10 and therefore HAVE to win a few of these games on their OOC schedule if Brewster is to prevent the buzzards from circling his head in only year two of his regime.

I envision the Huskie offense to struggle mightily all season. Chandler Harnish at quarterback is the right call, but lets face it he is very raw, will likely be asked to run a simplified offense and is bound to make loads of mistakes. It doesn't help that our wide receiver corp is a dubious bunch.

Minnesota - 17
NIU - 6

Minnestoa 21
NIU 17

Matt Simon is probably the most underrated wide receiver in the MAC. Catches absolutely everything he gets his hands on.
08-19-2008 03:54 PM
PantherHawk Offline
Banned

Yee of little faith.......:(

NIU 28
goofers 23

English will have an enormous game against their rag-doll, never-played a snap OL!!!!!!!

JUST BRING IT HUSKIES........BRING IT ALL GAME LONG AND YOU WILL PREVAIL!!!!!
08-19-2008 03:59 PM
Kurosawa Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Wake Forest
"Bring it," Huskies, so PantherHawk can feel better about himself. That's all he really cares about, you know; he could care less about Northern Illinois.
08-19-2008 04:45 PM
PantherHawk Offline
Banned

Kurosawa Wrote:"Bring it," Huskies, so PantherHawk can feel better about himself. That's all he really cares about, you know; he could care less about Northern Illinois.

See, the personal attacks just never stop with these guys.....
08-19-2008 05:10 PM
UIHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For: Illinois
I would go more high-scoring than basically everybody else here, namely because Minnesota can (and I think will) move the ball on NIU but I still am not convinced they will stop anybody on defense. NIU should be able to run on them unless the OL hasn't gelled/adjusted to the new system. Minnesota's D-Line was basically useless (11 sacks, 5.7 yards allowed per carry) last year so they will need to make a huge jump just to become a competent unit.

On offense, Minnesota can run the ball a little bit (162 ypg, 4.5 ypc) but I think Weber will be very good this year for them at QB. Yes he threw a lot of picks last year, but his overall numbers were very, very impressive (almost 2,900 yards, 24 TDs) for a freshman and with more talent around him I think he will be greatly improved.

Keep in mind, Minnesota put up 577 yards of offense against the MAC's best defense (Miami-OH) last year as well as put up 434 vs. BGSU. They can move the ball and if they don't shoot themselves in the foot it will be a pretty solid offense. Of course, a relatively inept Miami offense also put up 577 on the Gophers and BGSU also hung over 500 on them, so...

If NIU is going to win, they're going to have to get into the 30's, becasue I fully expect Minnesota to get at least into the high 20's offensively. I think NIU can do it, the question is will they.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2008 06:07 PM by UIHuskie.)
08-19-2008 06:03 PM
Advertisement

niubrad00 Offline
Boss

I Root For: NIU
My head says:
Minnesota 24, NIU 14

My heart says:
NIU 20, Minnesota 19

MaddDawg says:
NIU 364, Minnesota -2
08-19-2008 07:02 PM
NIUtrav09 Offline
Huskies and Illini. Get over it!

I Root For: NIU and U of I
PantherHawk Wrote:Yee of little faith.......:(

NIU 28
goofers 23

English will have an enormous game against their rag-doll, never-played a snap OL!!!!!!!

Why do you hate Minnesota so much? Who is your team? I didn't know the Gophers had any major football rivals..
08-19-2008 11:00 PM
UIHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For: Illinois
NIUtrav09 Wrote:Why do you hate Minnesota so much? Who is your team? I didn't know the Gophers had any major football rivals..
Pretty sure he's an Iowa fan.
08-19-2008 11:07 PM
btowngopher Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: the gophers
NIUtrav09 Wrote:
PantherHawk Wrote:Yee of little faith.......:(

NIU 28
goofers 23

Why do you hate Minnesota so much? Who is your team? I didn't know the Gophers had any major football rivals..

Iowa and Wisconsin? Illinois is kinda weird in that they don't have a huge rival, could start one with Mizzou i suppose.
08-19-2008 11:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2021 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.