ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
RE: New ACC Bowl at Fenway
(04-30-2019 03:26 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(04-30-2019 02:01 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(04-30-2019 11:02 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(04-30-2019 10:59 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(04-30-2019 10:57 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  The ACC needed another bowl in New England. Not a fan of the matchup against the AAC though.

another? what was the first one?

Pinstripe.

I'm guessing you didn't ace geography class in school.

New York isn't New England just like West Virginia isn't the South. Which is to say largely a technicality splitting hairs where there's mostly cultural unison. Do you also consider Ft. Lauderdale the South? How about Fairfax, VA? I'm going with reality on the ground over the cold clinical reading of the definition. New England doesn't end when you leave Massachusetts. The Mid-Atlantic doesn't end when you cross the Potomac. You can go further South yet end up traveling culturally far north. Etc.

No, New England ends when you leave Connecticut.
05-01-2019 07:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(05-01-2019 07:50 AM)ken d Wrote:  No, New England ends when you leave Connecticut.

If CT is New England and CT practically only exists as a tax haven and/or for commuters who work in and around NYC....
05-01-2019 09:23 AM
TexanMark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
(04-30-2019 04:34 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(04-30-2019 04:27 PM)8BitPirate Wrote:  
(04-30-2019 02:01 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(04-30-2019 11:02 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Pinstripe.

I'm guessing you didn't ace geography class in school.

New York isn't New England just like West Virginia isn't the South. Which is to say largely a technicality splitting hairs where there's mostly cultural unison. Do you also consider Ft. Lauderdale the South? How about Fairfax, VA? I'm going with reality on the ground over the cold clinical reading of the definition. New England doesn't end when you leave Massachusetts. The Mid-Atlantic doesn't end when you cross the Potomac. You can go further South yet end up traveling culturally far north. Etc.

What is "The South"? Easy. If your state fought for the Confederacy, then it's in "The South". Otherwise it's in "The North" or mid-western or etc. Texas is has a foot in The South and The South-West. 07-coffee3

Once you cross I-4 and keep heading South you go rapidly further north, specifically NYC-centric north. I-64 is the modern Potomac.

[Image: 2019-04-23.jpg]

I always say Florida is the only place you drive North to go south. Pretty much you're right I-4 is a transition zone

NY'ers don't like like being referred to as New England and Visa versa. Fairfield County is the transition zone
05-01-2019 12:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-30-2019 01:43 PM)orangefan Wrote:  Beginning in 2020, the ACC will have a maximum of 10 bowl bids in addition to its CFP/NY6/Orange Bowl arrangement. Adding this bowl leads to the question, what bowls these will be.

For 2019-20, our bowls are 1) CFP/Orange Bowl; 2) Citrus (only if a B1G school is selected to the Orange Bowl); 3) Camping World; 4a) Belk; 4b) Sun; 4c) Pinstripe; 4d) Music City (our Gator Bowl appearances are used up); 8a) Independence; 8b) Quick Lane; 8c) Military; 11a) Gasparilla (conditional); 11b) Birmingham (conditional)

The ACC's 2020-21 lineup potentially looks like this now: 1) CFP/Orange Bowl; 2) Outback (only if a B1G school is selected to the Orange Bowl); 3) Camping World; 4a) Belk; 4b) Sun; 4c) Pinstripe; 4d) Gator; 4e) Holiday; 9a) Fenway; 9b) Independence; 9c) Quick Lane; 9d) Military. Assuming the Outback doesn't count against the ACC's 10 maximum bids, this would fill up the slate.

Outback is a conditional bowl, I don't think it counts in the 11. Much like counting the Orange against the SEC or B10, I don't think that is in the equation of bowl tie-ins. Don't know for a fact, just an assumption.
05-01-2019 04:38 PM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
One of the 11 is allocated to CFP/Orange per the new ncaa limits.
Not sure about the Outback.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal...ences-2020
05-01-2019 04:57 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
My prediction for 2020 Bowls for the ACC using current tiers

1. Orange vs SEC, B10 or ND
1A. Outback (If B10 goes to Orange bowl) vs SEC

2. Campus World Orlando vs B12

3-7 Mid Tier - (8+ wins or winning record teams first)
- Holiday Bowl vs P12 (Fox)
- Gator Bowl vs SEC
- Belk Bowl vs B10 or SEC
- Pin Stripe Bowl vs B10
- Sun Bowl vs P12 (CBS)

8-11 Lower Tier (6-6 teams or teams with winning records that did not get slot above)
- Military vs AAC
- Indy vs SEC ?? (Could see Birmingham(Above Indy in SEC selection process) vs SEC move to this slot or Dallas vs B10)
- Boston Bowl vs AAC (New Bowl, assuming lower Tier)
- Detroit vs B10
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2019 09:54 PM by msm96wolf.)
05-01-2019 09:53 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
All American

I Root For: Common Sense
(04-30-2019 10:22 AM)zoocrew Wrote:  This is such a home run shot bowl.

Boston College vs UConn at Fenway? Fantastic? That’s why they wanted this I’m sure.

But since UConn will struggle to get the wins...Temple vs Pitt would be solid.

FYI, from Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, it is almost 2 hours less in travel time to the Panthers’ stadium in Charlotte than it is to Fenway Park in Boston.

I am fine with including this game replacing the Gasparilla Bowl or the Birmingham Bowl or something like that. I think that’s what they’re trying to do here. However, to be honest, I have no interest whatsoever in flying into cold as balls Boston in the middle of December to watch a pair mediocre teams play a meaningless exhibition game.

If you want to send me to Boston in the summertime or in the fall, great! Sign me up! Great city! In the dead of winter? No, thank you. I will just watch it at home.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2019 11:50 AM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
05-02-2019 11:44 AM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
I'm now hearing that Fenway officials are backpedalling... maybe they've been reading some fan comments?

I love the Pinstripe Bowl - but TBH when combined with the Military Bowl that's enough (plus, you have the Detroit Bowl, though it's indoors at least).

I'd love to add another ACC bowl that isn't in Florida, but where?
- Indianapolis or Atlanta are both indoor, NFL stadiums.
- Charlotte and Nashville are both covered.
- Paul Brown in Cincinnati is a good location, but it's cold in December, too.
- If you can get past playing at an ACC home stadium, Raleigh might be OK.

Other than those, you'd probably have to go down to Florida.
05-02-2019 01:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(05-02-2019 01:12 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  I'm now hearing that Fenway officials are backpedalling... maybe they've been reading some fan comments?

I love the Pinstripe Bowl - but TBH when combined with the Military Bowl that's enough (plus, you have the Detroit Bowl, though it's indoors at least).

Mercedes Benz will be too expensive to rent for a lower bowl. It cost $600k to get the Benz for one night, and that's if you don't need any reconfiguration. For a lower bowl it's way more practical to play at Bobby Dodd or, if you can bring a chiropractor with you to compensate for the bad viewing angles, Turner Field. But Turner Field will be cheap cheap cheap I bet! You know there's a reason the AAF played there .... annnnd why they *NEVER* showed the stands in any of those home games.
05-02-2019 01:17 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Leonard K Baehr
(05-02-2019 01:12 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  I'm now hearing that Fenway officials are backpedalling... maybe they've been reading some fan comments?

The Skyline Chili Bowl, LOL!
05-02-2019 01:38 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
I know it may not be popular, I rather this bowl fall through than and just take Dallas vs B10 even though it may not be filled by B10. Or move this bowl to another location. Really rather have only one G5 tie-in. Make the lower tier to be filled by the ACC. Order for only filling.

Birmingham vs SEC
Dallas vs B10
Military vs AAC
Detroit vs B10
05-02-2019 02:48 PM
Topcat Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC
(05-02-2019 01:38 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

The Skyline Chili Bowl, LOL!

I would call it the "SHHH! Don't tell anyone that's Kentucky just across that river" Bowl.
05-03-2019 01:03 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
As amazing as a city as Boston is, and I'd love to visit again... zero way am I going there in December.

NYC isn't New England; never was; and never will be.
05-03-2019 10:03 PM
Cody6003 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Louisville
Does anyone heard what the payout would be for this bowl?
05-04-2019 09:15 PM
TexanMark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
I understand why...but the ACC already has a bowl game in NYC and Maryland. I just see this as a bowl to stick one of the 6 or 7 win teams. If BC or Cuse is available it would be them.

Cody, I'd hazard a guess the payout would be similar to the other 3rd tierd bowls. If the AAC is the partner it will be less than $1M a team.
05-06-2019 04:29 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(05-01-2019 12:19 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(04-30-2019 02:01 PM)ken d Wrote:  I'm guessing you didn't ace geography class in school.

What is "The South"? Easy. If your state fought for the Confederacy, then it's in "The South". Otherwise it's in "The North" or mid-western or etc. Texas is has a foot in The South and The South-West. 07-coffee3

Once you cross I-4 and keep heading South you go rapidly further north, specifically NYC-centric north. I-64 is the modern Potomac.

I always say Florida is the only place you drive North to go south. Pretty much you're right I-4 is a transition zone

NY'ers don't like like being referred to as New England and Visa versa. Fairfield County is the transition zone

Then I guess it is fortunate for New Yorkers that NOBODY refers to them as New England. Just like nobody refers to Connecticut as New York. There are people near the border who work in New York, just as there are people who live in northern Kentucky who work in Cincinnati. I'm sure there are other examples in the US of people crossing state lines to go to work.
05-07-2019 07:10 AM
panite Online
All American

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(05-07-2019 07:10 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(04-30-2019 03:26 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  New York isn't New England just like West Virginia isn't the South. Which is to say largely a technicality splitting hairs where there's mostly cultural unison. Do you also consider Ft. Lauderdale the South? How about Fairfax, VA? I'm going with reality on the ground over the cold clinical reading of the definition. New England doesn't end when you leave Massachusetts. The Mid-Atlantic doesn't end when you cross the Potomac. You can go further South yet end up traveling culturally far north. Etc.

Then I guess it is fortunate for New Yorkers that NOBODY refers to them as New England. Just like nobody refers to Connecticut as New York. There are people near the border who work in New York, just as there are people who live in northern Kentucky who work in Cincinnati. I'm sure there are other examples in the US of people crossing state lines to go to work.

PA to NJ - just cross the Delaware River especially in the northern half of both states and salaries go up at least 30%. I know people that commute to NYC from PA for the money. Its a 12 hour day but to them the money is worth it. Epic Rage 02-13-banana COGS 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2019 09:18 AM by panite.)
05-07-2019 09:17 AM
GTFletch Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia Tech
when will the new 2020 bwol Tie-ins be announced?
05-08-2019 11:48 AM
8BitPirate Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
(05-07-2019 07:10 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(04-30-2019 03:26 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  New York isn't New England just like West Virginia isn't the South. Which is to say largely a technicality splitting hairs where there's mostly cultural unison. Do you also consider Ft. Lauderdale the South? How about Fairfax, VA? I'm going with reality on the ground over the cold clinical reading of the definition. New England doesn't end when you leave Massachusetts. The Mid-Atlantic doesn't end when you cross the Potomac. You can go further South yet end up traveling culturally far north. Etc.

Potato potaato. I've seen that documentary New Jack City. I know how you folks live up there.
05-09-2019 04:39 PM
panite Online
All American

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
Minor post season college bowls in cold weather venues like this should be rotated through different venues like the NHL rotates their hockey game through empty baseball stadiums every year. Fenway one year, Wriggly the next year, etc, and so on. 07-coffee3
05-14-2019 09:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.