CSNbbs
Y'all vs You Guys - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: Y'all vs You Guys (/thread-875900.html)

Y'all vs You Guys - Hokie Mark - 05-08-2019 06:38 AM

The North/South debate in the expansion thread inspired me to dig a little deeper; this is what I found:

National Champions.
In the last couple of decades, we can break down championships into teams where they say Y'all and teams where they don't:
Y'all Teams: 17
You Guys Teams: 3

Clearly, Southern culture includes football culture.

Speaking of culture...

Conference Realignment misfits.
Some people like to point out that there is a bit of a North/South strain within the ACC - which, before 2004, was strictly a Southern conference. I don't think there's nearly as much strain as people think, and I'd counter it by pointing out other factors which make sense of the newest additions, but... strictly from a Northern/Southern point of view, there are some teams which seem out of place after the last round of conference realignment. However, that's true of every Power 5 conference except the Pac-12, as shown here:

Conf Mainly Misfits
ACC "Y'all" BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame
B1G "You Guys" Maryland
SEC "Y'all" Missouri
XII "Y'all" Kansas, KSU, ISU

see also: https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2019/05/the-yall-factor.html

For a look back at recruiting in the Northeast, check out https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2017/05/football-recruiting-in-northeast.html

RE: Y'all vs You Guys - georgia_tech_swagger - 05-08-2019 08:12 AM

(05-08-2019 06:38 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  However, that's true of every Power 5 conference except the Pac-12,

Boulder may fit right at home with the likes of Berkeley and Palo Alto politically and culturally ... but I think it's still an overall poor fit. However, with the continued mass invasion of Colorado by people from California that will change over time. The same cannot be said for Utah. It's a cultural misfit in every way.

RE: Y'all vs You Guys - CliftonAve - 05-08-2019 08:31 AM

You realize for Pitt it is yinz (or yinz guys)-- y'ouns or y'uns for the Pitt fans in eastern Ohio and central PA.

RE: Y'all vs You Guys - Hokie Mark - 05-08-2019 09:21 AM

(05-08-2019 08:31 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  You realize for Pitt it is yinz (or yinz guys)-- y'ouns or y'uns for the Pitt fans in eastern Ohio and central PA.

True, but the point is... it's NOT Y'all!
(BTW, what do they say in Cincinnati?)

RE: Y'all vs You Guys - CliftonAve - 05-08-2019 09:31 AM

(05-08-2019 09:21 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(05-08-2019 08:31 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  You realize for Pitt it is yinz (or yinz guys)-- y'ouns or y'uns for the Pitt fans in eastern Ohio and central PA.

As you might it expect its a mix depending on what part of the city you are in and whether you are talking to someone born in raised in Cincinnati or a transplant from northern Ohio. As an aside, here is a picture of an iconic water tower near the Florence Mall (just across the river in Northern Kentucky)

[Image: KYFLOyall02.jpg]

RE: Y'all vs You Guys - NJ2MDTerp - 05-08-2019 09:32 AM

It's y'all vs. youse guys.

RE: Y'all vs You Guys - Shannon Panther - 05-08-2019 10:14 AM

(05-08-2019 09:32 AM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  It's y'all vs. youse guys.

No Rutgers is in the B1G.

RE: Y'all vs You Guys - cuseroc - 05-08-2019 11:05 AM

(05-08-2019 09:31 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

As you might it expect its a mix depending on what part of the city you are in and whether you are talking to someone born in raised in Cincinnati or a transplant from northern Ohio. As an aside, here is a picture of an iconic water tower near the Florence Mall (just across the river in Northern Kentucky)

When I first saw this graph, that watertower came to my mind lol. I see that tower on
I-75 both coming and going to Florida about four times a year. The first time I noticed "Florence Yall" was a couple years ago.

RE: Y'all vs You Guys - Pervis_Griffith - 05-08-2019 12:29 PM

(05-08-2019 11:05 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(05-08-2019 09:31 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

When I first saw this graph, that watertower came to my mind lol. I see that tower on
I-75 both coming and going to Florida about four times a year. The first time I noticed "Florence Yall" was a couple years ago.

Yeah ... but it's FLORENCE Y'ALL because it USED to say FLORENCE MALL, and those small businesses NOT in the Mall got ticked that public dollars were pimping one business entity over others ...

The easy fix was to change it from MALL to Y'ALL.

RE: Y'all vs You Guys - Dr. Isaly von Yinzer - 05-08-2019 10:43 PM

It’s definitely “Yinz Guys.” It’s not, “You guys” or “youse guys” and it’s certainly not “Y’all.”

RE: Y'all vs You Guys - Hokie Mark - 05-09-2019 08:38 AM

(05-08-2019 10:43 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  It’s definitely “Yinz Guys.” It’s not, “You guys” or “youse guys” and it’s certainly not “Y’all.”

Yeah, it's almost "Y'all" and "Not Y'all"

RE: Y'all vs You Guys - Pervis_Griffith - 05-09-2019 10:07 AM

She was all.

He was all.

They were all.

Errybody is sayin it.

RE: Y'all vs You Guys - Hokie Mark - 05-09-2019 10:23 AM

(05-09-2019 10:07 AM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  She was all.

He was all.

They were all.

Errybody is sayin it.

Prolly.

RE: Y'all vs You Guys - ken d - 05-09-2019 10:42 AM

I always thought of the difference between "you guys" and "youse guys" as a white collar/blue collar thing. For New Jerseyites, it depended whether you had emigrated from The Bronx or Brooklyn - you didn't expect a Manhattanite to say "youse".