CSNbbs
The media. Plumb loco! - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-462.html)
+----- Forum: WMU Archives (/forum-939.html)
+----- Thread: The media. Plumb loco! (/thread-155987.html)

The media. Plumb loco! - gobaseline - 04-04-2007 08:40 PM

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/grpress/basketball/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1175692513136190.xml&coll=6

I guess ignorance is bliss?

- koeman - 04-04-2007 10:15 PM

I never understood the whole bring in a name coach thing just to excite the fan base. Winning accomplishes that, not names.

My point is . . . - gobaseline - 04-04-2007 11:26 PM

. . . who, if even just a reasonable fan of college hoops had not heard of John Belein? That doesnt mean the fan knows if he is good bad or ugly, but just in name recognition alone.

Then to imply, as you say, that name recognition, is of equal or relative import compared to skill, recent performance history and overall resume of ACCOMPLISHMENT shows Beckers total lack of understanding.

He not only is a poor fan for lack of knowledge but worse a poor judge of character. You would hope his years would have developed a level of accumen that would be self evident.

Maybe he specializes in NASCAR or the Westminister Dog show?

- Whinny1 - 04-05-2007 12:12 PM

Good grief! Even Mr. Whinny knows who Beilein is!!

I know that Bronco fans have been harping on Bob Becker for years, and what an ignoramus he is. This is the first time I've read his stuff. I don't know how he has the nerve to send this kind of column to print. Doesn't make Beilein look bad. Doesn't make scUM look bad. Just makes Becker look bad.

Typical.. - DesertBronco - 04-05-2007 01:26 PM

What's even more hilarious is when he defends his position via e-mail, the guy lives in his own private Idaho. 03-woohoo

- Liam9903 - 04-05-2007 02:25 PM

I don't understand why everyone assumes that this hire will work? Just because he isn't up on the Belein bandwagon with the rest of the media isn't a reason to hold him up for ridicule. I do think its a bit silly to claim that he is not a well known coach.

At any rate why are we spending so much time praising a scUM coach?

- Whinny1 - 04-05-2007 03:27 PM

Yes, the fact that a sportswriter does not know who Beilein is DOES justify holding him up for ridicule.

why? - DesertBronco - 04-05-2007 03:31 PM

Quote:At any rate why are we spending so much time praising a scUM coach?

Because we feel like it.

Re: why? - Liam9903 - 04-05-2007 03:47 PM

DesertBronco Wrote:
Quote:At any rate why are we spending so much time praising a scUM coach?

Because we feel like it.

Well then go blue DB 01-wingedeagle . It feels like everyone turned into an EMU grad all of a sudden with this Beilen/ UofM hoops lovefest obsession

- Whinny1 - 04-05-2007 03:55 PM

Heh. I seriously doubt that DB is going blue. But I can't officially speak for him. *snort*

Personally, I couldn't care less about scUM. I just think that Beilein is a much better choice than Amaker ever was for that program. I think they lucked out. No harm discussing that, is there?

Go Blue huh? - DesertBronco - 04-05-2007 07:43 PM

So if we talk about the fact that we think scUM made a good hire for a hoops coach, we're scUM fans? I think not, but we'll talk about what we think about scUM hiring a good coach (in our humble opinions) whether you like it or not Liam. Fair? :towel:

Re: Go Blue huh? - Liam9903 - 04-05-2007 08:38 PM

DesertBronco Wrote:So if we talk about the fact that we think scUM made a good hire for a hoops coach, we're scUM fans? I think not, but we'll talk about what we think about scUM hiring a good coach (in our humble opinions) whether you like it or not Liam. Fair? :towel:

Couldn't you just have said that to begin with ;-) . I hope he falls flat on his face good coach or not.

- oldbronco1 - 04-05-2007 09:01 PM

I could care less what SCum does... Beilen is a good hire but was he worth the 2.5 million dollar buyout to WVU? I am not sure anyone is worth that kind of buyout.

- GRPunk - 04-05-2007 10:09 PM

I really don't want to continue to the u.m. talk, but I had heard on the news that they wouldn't be paying WVU the buyout money. The Sporting News also had this posted:

Quote:Martin said negotiations on economics with Beilein took 10 seconds, adding he didn't need to address the buyout issue.

"It never came up because there was no way Michigan was going to pay it," Martin said. "To John Beilein's credit, he said, "The buyout is my responsibility."'

Both Beilein and West Virginia hope to keep the resolution private.

"The agreement on the buyout is between coach Beilein and West Virginia University," the school said in a statement from its general counsel's office. "Any details will be worked out between the two parties."

Now, I'm sure they worked his contract with the buyout as consideration.

Hopefully the next thing I post about um is a Bronco victory on the hardcourt.

- oldbronco1 - 04-05-2007 10:14 PM

That is the dumbest thing I ever heard... Schools always pick up the buyout. That should have told Beilen to run as fast as he can. 01-wingedeagle

- oldbronco1 - 04-05-2007 10:25 PM

so we was making 800,000 or so. He will be making 1.3 mil. If his lawyers do not get the price down then other than bonuses he is not making any extra money at SCum. 01-wingedeagle He is a good coach but I hope SCum keeps on dropping and maintains their dominance in the NIT. 04-bow