CSNbbs
QB situation 2004 season - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-462.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois Archives (/forum-792.html)
+----- Thread: QB situation 2004 season (/thread-128214.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Guest - 01-13-2004 08:34 PM

Got the NIU football itch already. What does it look like for the QB spot (behind Haldi) for this season........ who are they and what are their strong points........03-razz

- Guest - 01-14-2004 02:22 AM

It should be a fun backup battle...Brown, Horvath, Ullrich, Mossman, and maybe others.

Personally i think brown will probably win that backup battle, but having seen ullrich and mossman play they are both pretty, or were pretty good in HS. Ullrich is a bit short, and mossman is a bit innacurate, but they are both pretty decent QB's. Brown is a large fellow with a good arm and decent speed. Hes not fast but neither was josh harris.

- NIUBlood - 01-20-2004 05:18 PM

Back-up? If I was Haldi, I would worry about the starting position. According to Inside Huskie Sports, QB will be up for grabs between Haldi, Mossman and Freshman Britt Davis. I hear Brown has been a dissapointment. Ulrich and Horvath is a little ways away from playing. Britt Davis is very good but, unlikely to play because Novak likes to redshirt freshman. But, Novak knows you need a QB to win the MAC and Davis may be the answer. It will probably look like Haldi, Mossman, Davis, Horvath, Ulrich, Brown, Nichols for 2004. But, you never know.

- Guest - 01-20-2004 05:24 PM

They said up for grabs?

If thats true i'm excited because i think haldi was a sorry QB. Mossman is quite a QB...I'd like to see britt redshirt, but then again i don't think i'd mind him starting 4 years this season as opposed to next season.

My preferance would be Mossman, haldi, brown....redshirt britt...I'm pumped about this year and i hope inside huskie sports is right.

- Dog Fan - 01-20-2004 05:41 PM

crazywilly Wrote:They said up for grabs?

If thats true i'm excited because i think haldi was a sorry QB.  Mossman is quite a QB...I'd like to see britt redshirt, but then again i don't think i'd mind him starting 4 years this season as opposed to next season.

My preferance would be Mossman, haldi, brown....redshirt britt...I'm pumped about this year and i hope inside huskie sports is right.
In your opinion, what made Haldi a "sorry QB"? The Huskies won 8 games with him in 2002 and 10 in 2003. One more win would have probably got us a bowl bid, and maybe into the MACC. Was Haldi responsible for those 2 losses last year, or was it that our defense was banged up? Was Haldi responsible for the infamous "3rd and 33" debacle? Please indicate what Haldi did to specifically lose those games for us.

- Guest - 01-20-2004 08:08 PM

Eh it couldn't of had anything to do with haldi's 5 int's in those 2 games????

Nah your right. The 3rd and 33 must have made haldi so depressed he just tossed the ball right into the oppositions hands.

And one last thing i love about you people who come with "haldi won 8 games last year and 10 this season..." but then when we have losses you blame the defense for all of them. Not the 5ints, and the defense must have had nothing to do with the 18 wins you mentioned.

How about the 0-3 for josh in games that could have meant a mac championship birth or a bowl game? Is that the defense too? Not like the defense had anything to do with us beating maryland...

If your going to play the josh has won 18 games card, then you have to play josh lost us 3 games that meant a bowl or mac championship game card too. You can't play both sides of the coin.

- HuskieDan - 01-21-2004 08:35 AM

How about this -

-Haldi didn't win us the Maryland or Alabama games, the defense did. Josh did a decent, steady job, which is his strong suit - not making a lot of mistakes.

-Haldi didn't lose us the UT games and at BG. He threw INTs this year, but in each we were down multiple scores before he started throwing INTs......at BG, we were down 14-0 before we ran our third offensive play. Against UT in 2002 we gave up 34 points while scoring 31 and controlling the clock in the second half.

I've said this repeatedly - Josh is the best QB we have on campus, because he's respected, smart and doesn't put us in bad situations (or at least not as much as the others might - not even Peyton Manning is entirely perfect). He's not going to chuck the ball all over the stadium to win us games, so he's not asked to do so. When he has to do so, it means that we're running out of options in a given game.

Britt Davis may quickly become our most talented QB, and if he shows that he understands the offense and won't make mistakes, he may get time this year. But he'll have to show himself to be VERY good immediately and that his insertion won't upset team chemistry.

- Dog Fan - 01-21-2004 08:53 AM

crazywilly Wrote:Eh it couldn't of had anything to do with haldi's 5 int's in those 2 games????

Nah your right.  The 3rd and 33 must have made haldi so depressed he just tossed the ball right into the oppositions hands.

And one last thing i love about you people who come with "haldi won 8 games last year and 10 this season..." but then when we have losses you blame the defense for all of them.  Not the 5ints, and the defense must have had nothing to do with the 18 wins you mentioned.

How about the 0-3 for josh in games that could have meant a mac championship birth or a bowl game?  Is that the defense too?  Not like the defense had anything to do with us beating maryland...

If your going to play the josh has won 18 games card, then you have to play josh lost us 3 games that meant a bowl or mac championship game card too.  You can't play both sides of the coin.
So what you are saying, Willy, is that the Huskies would have been 12-0 with a better QB. The fact that our defense was banged up and gave up huge yardage the second half of the season did not figure in our two losses. Apparently, the booze on campus is no better than when I was there! 04-drinky

- Flying Corn - 01-21-2004 10:31 AM

[Image: ugly.gif]

- NIUbro - 01-21-2004 11:47 AM

It was our defense that hurt us in the Toledo not our offense. Haldi is Joe's guy and it is his job to lose.

- Guest - 01-21-2004 11:49 AM

Yes i am saying with a good qb we would have been 12-0....

A running and passing game? Wow that would be special, maybe good qb could have lead this team back in those games. If i recall we had the comeback on and were down by 10-14pts, and our friend josh threw an INT that was taken down to the 1. How can we blame the D for all that? No defense out there would stopped that.

Josh is probably the worst quarterback of all time(in my mind), and here is my reason why. Someone posted josh is a well respected quarterback who doesn't make mistakes. Well yes he does make mistakes and no he isn't respected. Seems the only ones who respect him are you guys the alumni, no one else really likes him.

A quote by shatone powers, "we are going to be pretty good next year with sam, danny, AJ, and brandon. Britt will have a lot of targets"
(paraphrase, if you want i'll find the actual article)
Sounds like he was really thrilled with his current qb named josh haldi. But hes so well respected no way one of his WR's would say that. That and he doesn't make mistakes like throw INTS or hold the ball too long and get sacked. THAT NEVER HAPPENS.

You stop the run you stop NIU, and now everyone knows it, i'm sure joe does too thats why inside huskie sports would say what they did.

- Guest - 01-21-2004 11:54 AM

Barring injury Josh Haldi will be the starting QB in 2004. There is nothing to debate. While Haldi isn't a superstar he certainly is a strength of this team. Willy making something out of nothing should be ignored.

In Willy's world a quarterback is supposed to be 100% perfect every game, otherwise he is a bum. And no Willy, the fact that Haldi is white does not play into the fact that he is the starter. Rather his stellar record of achievement in two years of starting does.

- Guest - 01-21-2004 12:12 PM

I didn't start this thread...and i didn't say the position was up for grabs...I said if it was it would be great.

But you have a strange crush on me alum, instead of jumping on the guy who posted that it was you jump on me...Why? Because it hurts your feelings when i post my opinion, and then i back it up with stats????

- Guest - 01-21-2004 12:15 PM

crazywilly Wrote:It should be a fun backup battle...Brown, Horvath, Ullrich, Mossman, and maybe others.

Personally i think brown will probably win that backup battle, but having seen ullrich and mossman play they are both pretty, or were pretty good in HS. Ullrich is a bit short, and mossman is a bit innacurate, but they are both pretty decent QB's. Brown is a large fellow with a good arm and decent speed. Hes not fast but neither was josh harris.
READ THAT ALUM...Your so busy with that sticky ****** in your eye that you can't read posts?

- Guest - 01-21-2004 12:36 PM

Willy:

I've read your posts the past six months and apparently you have a big social agenda to push. You also have monumental problem with Josh Haldi and would like to blame him for all things wrong with NIU football. Lets just leave it that you and I disagree on matters.

Good luck to you in maintaining that 4.0 GPA and to transitioning into the real world after college.

Alum

- Guest - 01-21-2004 01:19 PM

niu85alum Wrote:Willy:

I've read your posts the past six months and apparently you have a big social agenda to push. You also have monumental problem with Josh Haldi and would like to blame him for all things wrong with NIU football. Lets just leave it that you and I disagree on matters.

Good luck to you in maintaining that 4.0 GPA and to transitioning into the real world after college.

Alum

If that wasn't the dumbest post of all time i don't know what is.

Listen buddy, what social agenda do i have to push, or do you not know what that means?

You probably just heard that on the News with all these political issues abundant, and you had no idea what it meant.

So lets review you have a problem with me because i said that i think it would be great if the QB job was up for grabs. I didn't say it was, in fact i thought that haldi would be the starter, i even posted that. But when someone else posted that Haldi should be worried about his job(NIUBLOOD) you started to break down and cry like i posted that.

I think you have a reading problem, but that can be fixed...Hooked on phonics can work for you!!! :D :D :D :D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

- NIUDiesel32 - 01-21-2004 02:36 PM

Ahh it's starting to feel like home already over here. Crazy Willy already in a lather about the qb situation.

Here is one person's take, who has supported Haldi in the past, when I felt that he was the right choice to start. I don't think anyone on this board thought NIU would go 10-2 last year. Certainly if they did think that, they thought our losses would come to Maryland and Alabama, and not Burnt Orange Green, and Toledump. When NIU accomplished such feats we put ourselves on the football map as being not just a good mid-major team, but a potential powerhouse mid-major team. One because of the conference we play in, which features similar mid major powerhouse teams (Marshall, Miami, BG, Toledo)..........and because of our proximity to the Chicagoland area, and the recent lack of college football talent in the near proximity to us, NW, Uof I. That being said, NIU has the capability to do great things within the next couple of years, which could either make or break the program. The fact is no one knows how good our D will be next year. I do know this, our offense with J. Haldi at QB will be at it's full capability a tad less than this past year's squad. If NIU feels they might have a kid, whether it is Brown, Ullrich, or Davis, that is capable of putting up some O, than Novak needs to make the decision to go with that guy and sit Haldi. I understand that young qb's make mistakes, but if I am understanding what everyone says about the guys we have, it sounds like there are also capable of making some plays as well. QB's who's best attributes are they are good leaders and don't make mistatkes are good for teams like last year's squad, which featured a good running game and when healthy a great gambling D. However, with our team in flux, we might as well go with a kid who could possibly be a spark....and hope we catch some lightning in a bottle.

- HuskieDan - 01-21-2004 04:41 PM

crazywilly Wrote:A quote by shatone powers, "we are going to be pretty good next year with sam, danny, AJ, and brandon. Britt will have a lot of targets"
(paraphrase, if you want i'll find the actual article)
Yes, please give us the link to this comment.

- Guest - 01-21-2004 04:47 PM

Everyone raise their left arm who doesn't think Josh Haldi is the starting quarterback next fall. Next, everyone raise their right arm who thinks Joe Novak will actually open up competition for the starting QB job.

Willy, you can put your arms down now. Your the only one with them up.

- HuskieDan - 01-21-2004 04:54 PM

crazywilly Wrote:I didn't start this thread...and i didn't say the position was up for grabs...I said if it was it would be great.

But you have a strange crush on me alum, instead of jumping on the guy who posted that it was you jump on me...Why? Because it hurts your feelings when i post my opinion, and then i back it up with stats????
Which stats did you post? I saw one scenario in one game detailed.

Facts:
Haldi ranked 5th in the MAC in passing yds/game
Haldi ranked 6th in the MAC in total offense yds/game
Haldi ranked 6th in the MAC in passing efficiency

NIU was first in the MAC in red zone efficiency w/Haldi at QB

none of this says that Haldi sucked or that Haldi was the best QB to ever lace 'em up.

But here's that stat that, IMO, says a lot about the last couple of years:

NIU scoring D averaged approx 24 pts/game the last two years (combing 03's 21.5 with 02's 24.8) In the three losses mentioned most, NIU gave up 33 (UT '02), 34 (BG '03) and 49 (UT '03). In '03, the next highest point total against us was 24. In '02, we had 41 scored on us two other times in wins, and 37 scored on us in a loss. Is it a coincidence that we were 15-1 when holding the opposition below our average, while 3-5 when they exceeded our average?