CSNbbs
NIU vs. Ball State - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-462.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois Archives (/forum-792.html)
+----- Thread: NIU vs. Ball State (/thread-128122.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Flying Corn - 01-20-2004 10:28 AM

<a href='http://ballstatesports.com/article/0,1382,16550-6-team,00.html' target='_blank'>Preview from BSU website</a>

Had to use the BSU one, as I can't get the NIU PDF to load.

Regardless, I think the bottom line is likely the same either way; another pasting for the Huskies on the road. :rolleyes:

In a season like this, I think it's important to try and look for silver linings or set small, achievable goals to provide reasons for optimism.

Tonight's goal? Try to keep it within 20 points. 03-wink

Go Huskies!! Get within 20!! 04-rock

- Guest - 01-20-2004 11:01 AM

What silver linings are there? The Huskies best player (by far) in Marcus Smallwood isn't back next year. Ditto its second best player PJ Smith. Instead of developmental time going to Michael McKinney and Paige Paulsen, Judson defies logic and keeps trotting out Walter Thompson, Al Sewascuik (I can never spell his name the same way twice) and Jonathan Byrd. The developmental progress of James Hughes has, in truth, been minimal. Rome Sanders still remains, well um, Rome Sanders. Anthony Maestranzi and Todd Peterson have demonstrated zero to get excited about their futures at NIU. Arguably the most exciting young player on the squad, Ryan Paradise, gets hurt and is out for the season.

The hope for the future rests squarely on next year's recruiting class of Cyrus Tate, Zach Pancratz, Frank Clair and, to a lesser degree, Craig Reichel. Almost by default Tate, Pancratz and Clair will need to be immediately thrown into the fire. Hopefully they will be surrounded by Michael McKinney and Ryan Paradise during their hasty indoctrination.

To say the program is in a state of disarray would be an understatement. Relying on next year's crop of freshmen to be instant saviors doesn't bode well.

- Flying Corn - 01-20-2004 11:29 AM

niu85alum Wrote:What silver linings are there?
I was being sarcastic.

I DO hope we get within 20 points tonight, but it's a pretty sorry state of affairs when you find that's the best you can hope for from your team..... 03-banghead 03-banghead

- Lukulos - 01-20-2004 11:36 AM

Does anyone know if this game is on TV? Sometimes I can get Ball St games in Chicago on this Indiana PBS Station. I was hoping they would show tonight's game.

You kinda wish that our AD may try and use PBS as a way to broadcast our games.

- RobertN - 01-20-2004 11:47 AM

niu85alum Wrote:Anthony Maestranzi and Todd Peterson have demonstrated zero to get excited about their futures at NIU. Arguably the most exciting young player on the squad, Ryan Paradise, gets hurt and is out for the season.
You are kidding right? Paradise is not any better than Maestronzi. I think he may be a little worse(although not by much) so when next year comes around, he may be SLIGHTLY ahead. No, it is not because he is from Naperville that I say this. 03-lol

- Flying Corn - 01-20-2004 11:51 AM

WYIN channel 56 is the Indiana public station which broadcasts select Indiana college hoops games which can be picked up by Chicagoland users of Comcast.
Then again, I've never seem any BSU games, so you may be picking up a different Indiana public stattion.

WYIN isn't scheduled to broadcast tonight's game, at least not according to the Comcast. You may be able to pick up the Ball State network feed on satellite via one of the Fox sports affiliates. However, I'm not sure how any of the satellite stuff works...

Lukulos, go to the main MAC board and ask Papa Lou BSU. I'm pretty sure he either works for Ball St. or is very close to the BSU athletic bigwigs, but he also lives in Chicago. He'll have an answer for you.

- NIURedBlack - 01-20-2004 12:27 PM

Lukulos Wrote:You kinda wish that our AD may try and use PBS as a way to broadcast our games.
Yeah, it's pretty sad that the Chicago Public League is getting more air time than the Huskies. However at our current standing, I can't blame PBS!

- Dog Fan - 01-20-2004 12:34 PM

NIURedBlack Wrote:
Lukulos Wrote:You kinda wish that our AD may try and use PBS as a way to broadcast our games.
Yeah, it's pretty sad that the Chicago Public League is getting more air time than the Huskies. However at our current standing, I can't blame PBS!
Once the Huskies become as good as a Chicago Public League high school team, I'm sure PBS (and Fox Sports Net) will come calling. My guess is 2006, at best. :(

- Lukulos - 01-20-2004 01:29 PM

Flying Corn - That's the station WYIN that I was thinking of. I have Comcast, so you pretty much answered my question. Maybe it's a good thing that we can't see the game in Chicago. 03-lol

- MikeSpicer - 01-20-2004 03:34 PM

BSU fan here. You won't see the game on WYIN, because Ball State and the station have been in a bit of a battle over what the station did last year for the Ball State-Indiana game at Ball State.

WYIN shows several IU and Purdue games during the season. During timeouts of those games, they go to a live feed from the station with employees dressed in IU or Purdue garb trying to get viewers to give money to the station to see more IU and Purdue games.

Well, during the BSU-IU telecast last year, again a telecast exclusively produced by Ball State, they used the timeouts again to show their people in IU gear trying to get IU fans to donate money. Needless to say, BSU was not pleased.

Or something along those lines.

Anywho, that's why they haven't picked up the game. The satellite coordinates for the game are SBS 6, K06, if that helps at all. Any NIU fans in the Fort Wayne, Ind., area can see the game on Comcast cable. Not sure what channel.

- NIUbro - 01-20-2004 04:46 PM

MikeSpicer Wrote:BSU fan here. You won't see the game on WYIN, because Ball State and the station have been in a bit of a battle over what the station did last year for the Ball State-Indiana game at Ball State.

WYIN shows several IU and Purdue games during the season. During timeouts of those games, they go to a live feed from the station with employees dressed in IU or Purdue garb trying to get viewers to give money to the station to see more IU and Purdue games.

Well, during the BSU-IU telecast last year, again a telecast exclusively produced by Ball State, they used the timeouts again to show their people in IU gear trying to get IU fans to donate money. Needless to say, BSU was not pleased.

Or something along those lines.

Anywho, that's why they haven't picked up the game. The satellite coordinates for the game are SBS 6, K06, if that helps at all. Any NIU fans in the Fort Wayne, Ind., area can see the game on Comcast cable. Not sure what channel.
Thank you and please take it easy on us tonight..

- MikeSpicer - 01-20-2004 09:19 PM

For what it's worth, hell of an effort by Northern tonight. The Huskies had a 42-24 rebounding edge, but struggles hitting a shot doomed them.

But based on what you guys have been saying you've seen, this has to be a step in the right direction for you.

- DiehardHuskie - 01-20-2004 10:38 PM

Listening to the post game, Coach Jud said this effort can "springboard" us the rest of the way. Glad to see we've sunk to the depths of claiming moral victories. I feel MUCH better.

- Lukulos - 01-21-2004 08:33 AM

I'm excited now!

We can hang with anybody, just can't win!

- NIUbro - 01-21-2004 08:43 AM

MikeSpicer Wrote:For what it's worth, hell of an effort by Northern tonight. The Huskies had a 42-24 rebounding edge, but struggles hitting a shot doomed them.

But based on what you guys have been saying you've seen, this has to be a step in the right direction for you.
In reading todays Chgo Trib I saw a big difference in FT's. Ball State had almost twice as many. Not questioning the officials. Perhaps our lack of quickness on defense is a problem. Also saw that Sanders had a T. He needs to mature and quite whining or he will develop a reputation with the officials.

- Dog Fan - 01-21-2004 08:59 AM

Lukulos Wrote:I'm excited now!&nbsp;

We can hang with anybody, just can't win!
Hey, guys, moral victories and the fact that we can hang with anybody are VERY important! I am now confident we will lose to Buffalo by only 4 or 5 on Sunday. Break out the booze - let's party!! 04-drinky

- Flying Corn - 01-21-2004 09:44 AM

NIUBro Wrote:In reading todays Chgo Trib I saw a big difference in FT's. Ball State had almost twice as many. Not questioning the officials. Perhaps our lack of quickness on defense is a problem. Also saw that Sanders had a T. He needs to mature and quite whining or he will develop a reputation with the officials.
This is the EXACT same story night after night; our opponents go to the line two and three times more than we do.

At this point I have to wonder-are we REALLY that out of control or has Judson and NIU done something to draw the ire of the MAC? I've never seen this kind of discrepancy EVERY single night for any team I've followed.

Quite frankly, I'm really getting concerned about this; on top of all our other many, many problems, it seems like we've become a marked team. I've seen us play five times this year ,and while we are definitely a very bad team, it has not been my impression that we're playing so recklessly that our opponents should be going to the line three times more often than we do...

- Flying Corn - 01-21-2004 09:46 AM

MikeSpicer Wrote:For what it's worth, hell of an effort by Northern tonight. The Huskies had a 42-24 rebounding edge, but struggles hitting a shot doomed them.

Unfortunately Mike, I think all of us here have accepted it's going to get a LOT worse before it gets any better.

This season is a total loss and we anticipate we'll be even worse next year.

Not a good era for Huskie hoops 03-banghead 03-banghead

- DiehardHuskie - 01-21-2004 10:05 AM

The discrepancy in free throw shooting stems from the fact that we do not take the ball to the basket -- we stand around and jack up shots from the outside all game.

We need to be aggressive on offense and A) hammer the ball into the paint B) drive to the hoop to create higher percentage shots or DRAW FOULS ON THE OTHER TEAM.

Instead of standing around and lamenting the fact that we had an off shotting night (again) -- how about we start taking it to people and make something happen?

- Dog Fan - 01-21-2004 10:05 AM

Flying Corn Wrote:
NIUBro Wrote:In reading todays Chgo Trib I saw a big difference in FT's. Ball State had almost twice as many.&nbsp; Not questioning the officials. Perhaps our lack of quickness on defense is a problem. Also saw that Sanders had a T. He needs to mature and quite whining or he will develop a reputation with the officials.
This is the EXACT same story night after night; our opponents go to the line two and three times more than we do.

At this point I have to wonder-are we REALLY that out of control or has Judson and NIU done something to draw the ire of the MAC? I've never seen this kind of discrepancy EVERY single night for any team I've followed.

Quite frankly, I'm really getting concerned about this; on top of all our other many, many problems, it seems like we've become a marked team. I've seen us play five times this year ,and while we are definitely a very bad team, it has not been my impression that we're playing so recklessly that our opponents should be going to the line three times more often than we do...
I don't think the officiating is consistently against us. It's just that we are so non-aggressive inside that we do not draw any fouls. Plus, we screw up so often (witness the fouls) and turn the ball over so often that the opposition can play conservatively against us. This lack of an inside game is just killing us.